CF de Camargue

rue_d_etropal

The CF de Camargue was a metre gauge railway running from Arles on 4 lines.
Transpotation of salt was one main reason for lines to be built. At Arles salt was transferred to standard gauge wagons.
From the start steam was used, but supplies of good quality of water led compan to look for alternatives to steam power, and started toplan to convert toelectric power prior to WW1, which delayed project . Work started in 1920s and continued up till 1930s.
Electric locos were intoduced in 1932. Each had a freight compartment, so were part loco/part railcar. They were used on both passenger and freight trains.
Electric railcars(automotice) were also introduced
The railway was finally closed in the 1950s, but much of the station and workshops at Arles still exist at time of writing.

Website with history here http://c.f.camargue.free.fr/

I started this project a few years ago when, by a chance online discussion invilving Giles Barnabe, that this line was metre gauge not standard gauge as I had assumed, and was also electrified. I just had to find out more as I wanted to build some sort of model, probably in 5.5mm/ft.

One issue I can't find out is the colour of locos and rolling stock. I  have the article published back in 70s on the railway, I think it is same as that produced as a book later on but now not available, I have scoured the internet for info and photos, but all are black and white, none are colour . My thinking is green or red.

I have just started designing the stock for 3D printing.

CF-Camargue-electric-automoteur-plus-1a.CF-Camargue-electric-automotrice-plus-1a

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just completed design for Decauville coach. No drawings for this but a few photos so hopefully OK

CF-Camargue-Decauville-coach-1a.jpg

They arrived too late to save railway, and I think they must have been shipped off somewhere(Africa or Far East?), when railway closed. At least colour is less of an issue as they were not painted as far as i can tell.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

in 1940s new bogie salt wagons were introduced. Some got transferred to CF de La Mure, but already had salt damage were not of much use, but at least there is adrawing in the book on that railway(fortunately someone sent me a copy of drawing as book is difficult to get hold of)

CF-Camargue-bogie-salt-wagon-1a.jpg