Archer resin rivet transfers - what am I doing wrong?

• RMweb Premium

Quite a few people on here have spoken highly of and clearly had great success using the resin rivet head etc. transfers by Archer. For me, they have simply failed to adhere, either to a bare plasticard surface or to a painted surface. What could I be doing wrong? Or, better, how have you been getting it right?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I brush klear on the surface first and let it dry, put rivets on then (when dry) carefully put another coat of klear on to seal them. I do one side of the loco at a time, as I discovered the hard way that trying to do a second side will result in your fingers dislodging the first...

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have found that they stick better to primed metal. For plasticard I make sure I give it a really good wash and scrub with cif first. 

I would agree with the above posts , do a small amount then seal them with a varnish or paint before moving on to the next section. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to all for taking the trouble to reply. I'm onto my next test. The plasticard surface has been primed - Halfords grey plastic primer - then I've brushed some Humbrol Clear gloss varnish onto the area to be riveted. Once that was dry, I've brushed Micro Set onto the surface, soaked the transfer in hot water, slid it into position, removed excess moisture using the corner of a tissue, added another dab of Micro Set, then put to one side.

Will report back!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Thanks to all for taking the trouble to reply. I'm onto my next test. The plasticard surface has been primed - Halfords grey plastic primer - then I've brushed some Humbrol Clear gloss varnish onto the area to be riveted. Once that was dry, I've brushed Micro Set onto the surface, soaked the transfer in hot water, slid it into position, removed excess moisture using the corner of a tissue, added another dab of Micro Set, then put to one side.

Will report back!

I got the impression sealing them (with varnish, not micro set) is the critical bit.....

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I've been trying them and this is the result applying them to whitemetal body directly, then priming 24+ hours later.

The process was:

1. Paint MicroSol on to body
  2. Use water to slide transfers
  3. A touch of MicroSet where they didn't look flat enough
  4. A day to dry off

FWIW, I did try Humbrol DecalFix: I think it was 'better' in that the transfer carrier was less visible when dry, but the issue I found with long thin lines of rivets was that it softened the decal so much that it was extremely hard to lay straight - which is sort of what you want with rivets/welds.

The tops of the cladding over smokebox and middle of boiler have arc weld line transfers, rest are rivets

IMG_7446D.JPG

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

The method I've settled on for bare plastic is to apply the transfers using neat MicroSet then once dry, apply a dab of d-limonene solvent - this, I think, helps bond the transfer to the surface and makes the carrier film vanish too. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The method I've settled on for bare plastic is to apply the transfers using neat MicroSet then once dry, apply a dab of d-limonene solvent - this, I think, helps bond the transfer to the surface and makes the carrier film vanish too. 

I had forgotten that credit for this is due to @jwealleans: