009 IC industrial loco - kit availability?

steve howe

Not being a 009 or 4mm scale narrow gauger, I am finding getting hold of a simple industrial pre-War IC loco somewhat complicated. My current Cameo Challenge layout calls for a short narrow gauge feeder line running a small IC loco and three V skips on and off stage. Simples I thought! bound to be loads of kits out there to choose from … but it appears not. All of Nigel Lawton's otherwise perfect range are currently unavailable, Narrow Planet have various body kits but all seem to rely on a Kato chassis of some form or other, and my attempts to locate a source of Kato tram chassis without having to purchase the whole unit at eye watering prices, have so far drawn a blank.

Can anyone more knowledgeable in 009 matters than I suggest a simple way of getting a basic Simplex or similar loco running at a reasonably sensible price without scouring Europe for obscure chassis parts?

Thanks Andrew, the body looks the thing, the problem seems to be getting the motor bogie. I'm looking on ebay for a Grafar chassis, but don't hold out much hope. Do any of the British N scale manufacturers sell spares?

Long ago there was a whitemetal kit for a Kerr-Stuart diesel which seemed to appear on every 009 layout built prior to ~1980 but I can't remember who made it or what powered it. There seemed to be so many that they surely can't all have disappeared. 

Is there any possibility of doing anything worthwhile with a Bachmann Rusty? Having just looked I can't say I'm keen, but as a basis for a fairly hefty hack job it might work. 

Or maybe a recabbed N gauge US or European diesel shunter (might be a bit modern). Just don't forget to change all the stuff that people often forget, like handrails and exhausts, otherwise it will look exactly like a recabbed N gauge loco. 

3 minutes ago, PatB said:

Long ago there was a whitemetal kit for a Kerr-Stuart diesel which seemed to appear on every 009 layout built prior to ~1980 but I can't remember who made it or what powered it. There seemed to be so many that they surely can't all have disappeared. 

Is there any possibility of doing anything worthwhile with a Bachmann Rusty? Having just looked I can't say I'm keen, but as a basis for a fairly hefty hack job it might work. 

Or maybe a recabbed N gauge US or European diesel shunter (might be a bit modern). Just don't forget to change all the stuff that people often forget, like handrails and exhausts, otherwise it will look exactly like a recabbed N gauge loco. 

That kit is now in the hand of Narrow Planet

https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/mosskito-narrow-gauge/products/mm2

A1 Models do's a brass kit of it as well

8571839730_ee7a3d04c3_c.jpg001 by brian mosby, on Flickr

8570745009_fbe776fbdc_c.jpg002 by brian mosby, on Flickr

• Like 5

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm looking at getting one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KATO-Powered-Motorized-Chassis-11-104-also-alternative-for-11-103/283601735620?hash=item4207fb0fc4:g:VS8AAOSwJcldbOKh

as a basis to either scratchbuild  or butcher a body shell. Anyone know if it might be adapted to fit under the Shapeways simplex? I can't find any technical information as to the wheelbase dimensions.

Steve

Most of those Kato flying carpet chassis are a/. very reliable and useful and b/. quite long

Much too long for the small Simplexes

This is a similar one just about hiding under a Roco 0-6-0 diesel body:

Roco-7.jpg

The loco at the back  has a Kato chassis with the platforms chopped off

Richard

MORE: There are basic dimensions here: http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=K11-104

Edited by RLWP
  • Like 1

Is the Meridian Simplex currently available? I can’t find it online at present but I obtained one recently and a modern Japanese motor bogie can be used to power it (can’t remember what type off the top of my head though). For RTR, I can also recommend the Minitrains diesels. Some of the A1 models locos use the Kato tram chassis.

• RMweb Premium
On 04/09/2019 at 20:11, steve howe said:

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm looking at getting one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KATO-Powered-Motorized-Chassis-11-104-also-alternative-for-11-103/283601735620?hash=item4207fb0fc4:g:VS8AAOSwJcldbOKh

as a basis to either scratchbuild  or butcher a body shell. Anyone know if it might be adapted to fit under the Shapeways simplex? I can't find any technical information as to the wheelbase dimensions.

Steve

Some years ago I produced a resin cast body kit for a battery electric loco. I thought that I'd sold out but have found one stashed away with some other models. I realise that it's not a: IC or b: a strictly UK prototype but it is designed specifically for the Kato chassis. Prototype photo here.

Finished model built from the kit.

batt+loco+15.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Some years ago I produced a resin cast body kit for a battery electric loco. I thought that I'd sold out but have found one stashed away with some other models. I realise that it's not a: IC or b: a strictly UK prototype but it is designed specifically for the Kato chassis. Prototype photo here.

Finished model built from the kit.

batt+loco+15.jpg

Neil's kits make up into nice models.

I really should finish the 2nd of the 2 railbuses I bought :-)

Baz

Edited by otty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1