Bad practice or phishing attack via Hattons?

H2O

I've got 2 emails from Hattons advertising models that they (incorrectly) say I've "previously registered an interest in this model or placed a Pre-Order via our website".

Have others received similar? If so are these unsolicited emails because of an error, bad advertising decision or a phishing attack.  I'm wary of replying to the 'unsubscribe' link in case of a phishing attack.

I hope Hattons will just stop this, else I'll have to add them to my junk email list.

• RMweb Gold

I get one every few months where I think “why the hell would I have registered an interest in this”, but then assume drink was involved...note to self “don’t drink and browse, don’t drink and browse!!!!” :prankster:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I've noticed recently that with some sites I purchase from, if I merely look at an item without logging in, I'll get a genuine email asking me if I'm still interested...

I always check sender addresses before opening emails, and never try to access my account by way of links in an email - even from a trusted sender.

Regards, Gerry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, njee20 said:

I’ll eat my hat if anyone is attempting a phishing scam fronting as a model railway shop. Given they’re tiny as online retailers go. 

Not if someone has been hacked.

I was getting emails pretending to be a small music fanzine that I bought a couple of issues from about ten years ago. I definitely know it wasn't the lad who produced the magazine. I don't think he sold more than about 100 copies per issue. Seems his email account was hacked and all data was phished. I was just getting random messages about buying a magazine that wasn't even going anymore.

Could the OPs account have been hacked? Even the "big boys" aren't totally safe, Yahoo, Outlook, etc. have had problems.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Whilst technically possible I still highly doubt that. The OP has been hacked, the hackers have identified that he's into model railways, looked at Hatton's, then spoofed an email that appears to be from Hatton's of a random product in the hope he goes on to divulge his card details? Wouldn't you just spoof an ASOS email to 50 million addresses?!

I'm all for being savvy on the internet, but occam's razor surely needs to prevail here, it's not a phishing attempt.

• Agree 4

• Moderators

I think the conspiracy theories on security may be going a bit far and I do think that the OP probably hasn't furnished anyone with enough information to be more specific in their responses. I know that if someone has subscribed to receive emails from Hattons and/or made purchases and agreed to updates then emails may get sent which are specific to stated interests or even allied to similar purchases or interests shown. I know I get plenty from ebay/Amazon etc that relate to things I may have been browsing and that goes further than anything I've ever seen from Hattons. On that basis I think any suggestions of bad practices are inappropriate and suggestions of phishing are probably a wild goose chase.

The sensible thing to do would, as someone who I would say is on their email database, is to contact Hattons for any specific clarification rather than jumping onto a public forum inferring that there is something untoward. If the OP hasn't returned within 24 hours of the initial posting I'll close it off to save anyone wasting time on it.

• Like 5
  • Agree 8

One time I got an email like this about an item well outside my interest, but I had registered an interest in other items. I just put it down to an error on their database and next time I was on the site checked my details including things I'd expressed an interest in. I was satisfied it was a system error and nothing onerous or malicious.

• Like 1

• AY Mod locked this topic