Niu Models - LNER 'Humorist' & 'Coronach' Smoke box conversion kits - Coming soon...!

Al.

Between 1931 & 1938 both 2747 'Coronach' and 2751 'Humorist' were the subject of a number of smoke box modifications to improve smoke lift.

Following the success of our ACFI kit for 2576 'The White Knight' and 2580 'Shotover', we selection of conversion kits to all the full range of modifications carried out on 'Coronach' and 'Humorist'. The first to roll of the CAD machine is semi-annular chimney as fitted to 'Humorist' in November 1932.

The kit will be designed to fit the current Hornby Loco drive A3 models, but with some modification, will fit the previous Hornby tender drive and Tri-ang loco drive models.

Kit release is anticipated for late November this year.

Coronach.jpg

Humorist #1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Al.
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 of the 5 CAD renders of the 2747 Coronach and 2751 Humorist smokebox conversion kits.

The first kit is the vented smokebox as fitted to Coronach between October 1931 and February 1933

The second kit is the dual chimney/vent as fitted to Humorist between April 1932 and November 1932.

And the third kit is the annular chimney as fitted Humorist between November 1932 and March 1933.

The kits will include smokebox door, inclined smoke box top, chimney superheater covers and standard done. They are designed to fit the current Hornby loco drive A3 models, but with some modification will fit the earlier Hornby tender drive and Triang loco drive models.

Two further Humorist kits are in development - Cutaway smoke box with stove pipe chimney and flangeless double chimney. Renders are expected for these two in the next few days.

All five kits will them off for test printing ahead of an anticipated release in late November.

If you would like to register your interest any of the kits, please email us at niumodels@gmail.com

A3_Coronach_-_Single_large_chimney_version_A.jpg

A3_2571_Humorist_-__Double_chimney_version_A.jpg

A3_2571_Humorist_-__Single_annular_chimney_version_A.jpg

On 14/09/2019 at 20:20, JeffP said:

Fascinating.

I wonder why the LNER/ER seemed always to  choose Humorist?

Interesting Question. From a modelling perspective, I would have preferred they'd used five different locos.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, D9001 said:

Great to see provision being made for rarities like this, well done.

any chance of you producing the stovepipe chimney and deflectors for V2 60813?

This one?

First time this has come to my attention. I’ll have to see if I can find more information. 

C9A3A52C-5FFB-48F6-8B21-29C5E4C5837B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Al. said:

This one?

First time this has come to my attention. I’ll have to see if I can find more information. 

Yeadon has good views of it. The deflector is a very complicated shape - more or less vertical at the sides, inclined at the back, and the whole thing curved over the smokebox top. It's always defeated me in metal, but then in CAD it might be easier - though the problem then would be getting the look of sheet metal. 

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Captain Pugbash said:

Sorry if this is a bump. but is this project still going?

Yes, Coronach and Humorist conversion kits are still live. We’ve had test prints done but found sound of the flange edges on the chimney and dome are too thin to print reliable. The CAD model is being altered to correct this and we hope to have the kits available in January. 

good to hear

1 hour ago, Al. said:

Yes, Coronach and Humorist conversion kits are still live. We’ve had test prints done but found sound of the flange edges on the chimney and dome are too thin to print reliable. The CAD model is being altered to correct this and we hope to have the kits available in January. 

• 4 weeks later...

The first test prints for the ‘Humorist’ and ‘Coronach’ smoke boxes were a bit of a failure; a combination of design and printing issues. The second test have arrived and look much better. They're being trial fitted to Hornby’s ‘Book Law’ model.

We hope to have the kit out to complement our ACFI kit within a few weeks.

80675246_2627947773985894_6574143089496031232_n.jpg

81407574_736630063491111_3258176196633952256_n.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 22/01/2020 at 19:16, NiuModels said:

No. We're still working on the Humorist and Coronach smokeboxes. It's taking a bit longer then anticipated.

:lol_mini:Thanks, I am just pleased you are looking into this 

• 1 month later...

First pics of the Humorist 'Stove pipe' smoke box and chimney conversion kit fitted to the Hornby body.

I'm reasonable happy with the way it assembled. Fitting the inclined smoke box top was a bit more fiddly then I expected, and does require a bit if trimming to both body and part.

The finished kit will include all parts show in blue, as well as etched brass deflectors and 'Humorist' nameplates.

IMG_E5980.JPG

IMG_E5979.JPG

IMG_E5981.JPG

IMG_E5982.JPG

• Like 6

Humorist flangeless double chimney show fitted  to Hornby A3 body.

The parts are a good fit onto the Scotsman body with only slight trimming required to the superheater covers for the winglets.

The kit will be available shortly and will include chimney, done, etched brass winglets and Humorist namelates.

IMG_6123.JPG

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
On 10/11/2019 at 21:56, D9001 said:

Great to see provision being made for rarities like this, well done.

any chance of you producing the stovepipe chimney and deflectors for V2 60813?

60813 chimney and deflectors. Heading off for a test print this week.

60813-render.png

• RMweb Premium

On 04/08/2020 at 12:33, NiuModels said:

60813 chimney and deflectors. Heading off for a test print this week.

60813-render.png

That's wrong on a number of levels: 

1. The "deflector" should be higher at the rear than it is on the sides. 

2. The chimney base should flare into the smokebox top like a normal V2 chimney. 

3. The rear edge should not be vertical but slope back. 

3 hours ago, Daddyman said:

That's wrong on a number of levels: 

1. The "deflector" should be higher at the rear than it is on the sides. 

2. The chimney base should flare into the smokebox top like a normal V2 chimney. 

3. The rear edge should not be vertical but slope back. 

I don't disagree with any of those comments. More research has produced more photos which have fed into an updated CAD model.

60813-render2.png

• Like 1