Northern Class 195/0

Ragtag

Perhaps I'm mad, but the beginnings of another project arrived today. Bit of an impulse buy these so I haven't really got a plan together for this one yet but it will certainly be a scratchbuilt body (medium undecided). Hopefully I can adapt a proprietary chassis - need to investigate wheelbase and bogies more closely to see about that.

20190903_223818.jpg.3735cc336832242886a8e0706d13161d.jpg20190903_223916.jpg.4a130af00fd6173bed1fdc77aa7060a2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

Having considered the options a bit more I'm thinking metal rather than styrene construction for the body sides and probably the roof too. I've had some success scratchbuilding coach sides from thin aluminium in the past so may try that, or venture into the realm of brass. 

Any thoughts on which would be the easier to cut? I'm guessing aluminium for equal thickness.

• 8 months later...

Have you managed to make any progress on this?

This is a 'prototype question' really, but seeing as you may have already done some work on this I thought you might have the answers. Do you know how wide the doors, windows and 'deadlights' (which is what Ian Walmsley seems to call window pillars) are on the class 195? I found a drawing with vehicle lengths and bogie spacing online (PDF download) but after scaling accordingly in AutoCAD the windows seemed to be a few centimetres smaller and the deadlights larger than my hasty tape-measure measurements on the real thing (which were windows 129cm or 130cm x 76.5cm for the windows and roughly 48cm for the deadlights).

• 6 months later...

I am also starting to scratchbuild a 195 using the same information. Looking at photos (I can't get near a real 195 due to lockdown at the moment), I think the windows look bigger on the outside due to the way they appear to be fixed. It looks like they are glued on, like on turbostars, so there is a smaller opening on the inside than the outside, giving a 'ledge' that the glass is glued to. I plan to try this out on the model, by making the sides from 2 layers of styrene and glueing in glazing from the outside. I will do a trial panel first to see if it works.