BRM October 2019

Howard Smith

• Moderators

The October 2019 issue of BRM is now on-sale as a digital edition from pocketmags.com/BRM. Inside this packed issue you'll find a host of inspirational modelling articles, with an emphasis on common techniques required when modelling. Digital readers will benefit from an extra 20 pages of image and video content, plus a copy of the September 2019 issue of Engineering in Miniature. Here's a rundown of what's inside...

LAYOUTS
St Ruth (2FS)

struth.jpg.cc21e43c4bd79a5ca7e7918bdea4f8c3.jpg

Bleat Wharf (OO)

1849733870_bleatwharf.jpg.75f527829e7da4abcc00f8180cd0202c.jpg

Ellasweet Factory (OO)

1209394399_ellasweetfactory.jpg.e447c8b750e6feed5754bcfa483a7cc0.jpg

PRACTICAL
How to build a plastic wagon kit

1158514307_buildawagon.jpg.f65b394420041436d54345ed65d54f11.jpg

Techniques for better models

holes.jpg.9113a7276148950614b3090cf5234843.jpg

Getting into 2mm finescale

843121022_gettinginto2mmfinescale.jpg.4cf4cb2cec0900d69ed659a763ef2072.jpg

One-step digital automation

software.jpg.ec16825c3dafc492251bce4f5fc2acf1.jpg

The N gauge Billy Bookcase layout

1210437035_billybookcase.jpg.a72b2e151dc2a5aebdb53d0df1b28788.jpg

PRODUCTS AND FEATURES
BRM meets: 2MM Scale Association

267581425_2mmassociation.jpg.2515f5dbf258acbf8013e781cf836366.jpg

BRM meets: The Model Centre

TMC.jpg.c7ed44038eb5026a7a1e3177580b5e18.jpg

Spotlight: Hands-on scenic advice

scenery.jpg.4026803b124e1aebdcbbd33442d01617.jpg

Review: Cheltenham Class 52

western.jpg.c07f1fd1cb0ec14257d76f9e3daa3d87.jpg

Review: Bachmann Western Pullman

pullman.jpg.9e1d4f9e69b2e44e9fdc2309ea312c56.jpg

Review: Rivarossi 'Big Boy'

821738463_HornbyBigBoy.jpg.353fc09a35ac5bfcb3e35ab369d71a4c.jpg

New books
Tail Lamp: The Model Centre

Download your digital copy of BRM today, from pocketmags.com/BRM

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

This month's digital issue features a 40min video look behind the scenes at Bachmann on a container arrival day.

Is that on the DVD that subscribers get, or is it just online only?

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Is that on the DVD that subscribers get, or is it just online only?

It's online only as it was only signed off on Monday. The DVD gets completed at a much earlier date. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

From the RM Web Gold Exact Editions version the DVD link  opens Youtube but to a screen saying unavailable. Is that a fault or just a time delay to go live? Not a problem if we just have to wait a day or so for the DVD content.

• Agree 1

• Administrators
53 minutes ago, john new said:

From the RM Web Gold Exact Editions version the DVD link  opens Youtube but to a screen saying unavailable. Is that a fault or just a time delay to go live? Not a problem if we just have to wait a day or so for the DVD content.

Sorry about this. We're on the case but it might be Monday morning as the two designers are off at the moment. Leave it with us.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Reviewing the decidedly non-British Rivarrossi Big Boy in a magazine that is resolutely entitled "British Railway Modelling"...??!! :scratchhead:

That'll have the Purists spluttering. :mosking:

No way was I turning down that opportunity!

H

• Moderators

The Pocketmags version appears to have to two of Page 56 at present. I have attached a pdf of Page 55 which is missing which features decorating brickwork with coloured pencils and mixing paint as part of the techniques feature.

page_55.pdf

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, JohnR said:

The container unpacking video seems to cut off very abruptly at 38:59 - in mid sentence? Is this intentional?

Oh dear, not sure why that's truncated as the editing file is 10 minutes longer! It will take about 7 hours to re-render and upload the full version which should have another ten minutes at the end. I shall just do the missing portion and upload it here later.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
On 06/09/2019 at 13:38, F-UnitMad said:

Reviewing the decidedly non-British Rivarrossi Big Boy in a magazine that is resolutely entitled "British Railway Modelling"...??!! :scratchhead:

That'll have the Purists spluttering. :mosking:

On 06/09/2019 at 16:52, Howard Smith said:

No way was I turning down that opportunity!

H

On 06/09/2019 at 18:11, grahame said:

To have purists spluttering?

G

Don't worry.

A future issue will probably include a review of a Köf.

Before anyone really blows a fuse, I understand that some Köfs have actually been used in England - so even purists should have nothing to complain about.

Huw.

• RMweb Premium

I guess the magazine layout manager for BRM was on holiday when this was put to bed.

I have 3 pictures of a drill bit being coaxed into position against a piece of sticky tape.  In fact most of the pictures on page 60 (74 on pocketmags) fail to relate to the article  - as also with the pictures related to mixing paint.

The Bachmann unboxing video box appears on the last page of the Bachmann Western Pullman article* but shows an error on opening (video unavailable) and two pages on where the video box is again shown where it should be, it refuses to open.

* and so prevents the last page of the article being read.

Apart from that it is a good edition.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Purists always have something to complain about... :nono:

:jester:

Hmmm ... I could almost imagine some wind-up artist putting that to the test - by throwing together a layout guaranteed to annoy any hardcore purists.

Let's think - a switching layout, set in a fictitious preservation line depot, at the top of a hill - complete with loads of "toys" (turntable, traverser, stuff like that) but distinctly lacking in scenery.

Now throw in some locos and stock from a mix of countries - then give the whole thing a name that just screams out: "Rivet counters look away now."

Something along the lines of "Missen Summit" should do just fine.

Finally, just stand back - and wait for the inevitable fireworks ... .

Would I go ahead with such a scheme? Probably not - but I could imagine some people being tempted.

It could certainly be fun - but I suspect that anyone who tried to offer a layout along these lines as anything other than a "have a go" switching puzzle, without a track record of building and exhibiting "proper" layouts, might have little chance of ever getting another exhibition invite.

This might spoil the fun somewhat.

Huw.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

I guess the magazine layout manager for BRM was on holiday when this was put to bed.

I have 3 pictures of a drill bit being coaxed into position against a piece of sticky tape.  In fact most of the pictures on page 60 (74 on pocketmags) fail to relate to the article  - as also with the pictures related to mixing paint.

Since those bits were mine, I made a bit of a fuss and if you download the issue again, they are now fixed. Sorry about that. 

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, Huw Griffiths said:

Let's think - a switching layout, set in a fictitious preservation line depot, at the top of a hill - complete with loads of "toys" (turntable, traverser, stuff like that) but distinctly lacking in scenery.

Now throw in some locos and stock from a mix of countries - then give the whole thing a name that just screams out: "Rivet counters look away now."

Something along the lines of "Missen Summit" should do just fine.

Finally, just stand back - and wait for the inevitable fireworks ... .

Would I go ahead with such a scheme? Probably not - but I could imagine some people being tempted.

How did you know about my latest project? :P

• Like 3