Jump to content

Howard Smith

BRM October 2019

Recommended Posts

The October 2019 issue of BRM is now on-sale as a digital edition from pocketmags.com/BRM. Inside this packed issue you'll find a host of inspirational modelling articles, with an emphasis on common techniques required when modelling. Digital readers will benefit from an extra 20 pages of image and video content, plus a copy of the September 2019 issue of Engineering in Miniature. Here's a rundown of what's inside...

 

 

LAYOUTS
St Ruth (2FS)

struth.jpg.cc21e43c4bd79a5ca7e7918bdea4f8c3.jpg


Bleat Wharf (OO)

1849733870_bleatwharf.jpg.75f527829e7da4abcc00f8180cd0202c.jpg

 

Ellasweet Factory (OO)

1209394399_ellasweetfactory.jpg.e447c8b750e6feed5754bcfa483a7cc0.jpg

 

PRACTICAL
How to build a plastic wagon kit

1158514307_buildawagon.jpg.f65b394420041436d54345ed65d54f11.jpg


Techniques for better models

holes.jpg.9113a7276148950614b3090cf5234843.jpg


Getting into 2mm finescale

843121022_gettinginto2mmfinescale.jpg.4cf4cb2cec0900d69ed659a763ef2072.jpg


One-step digital automation

software.jpg.ec16825c3dafc492251bce4f5fc2acf1.jpg


The N gauge Billy Bookcase layout

1210437035_billybookcase.jpg.a72b2e151dc2a5aebdb53d0df1b28788.jpg

 

PRODUCTS AND FEATURES
BRM meets: 2MM Scale Association

267581425_2mmassociation.jpg.2515f5dbf258acbf8013e781cf836366.jpg


BRM meets: The Model Centre

TMC.jpg.c7ed44038eb5026a7a1e3177580b5e18.jpg


Spotlight: Hands-on scenic advice

scenery.jpg.4026803b124e1aebdcbbd33442d01617.jpg


Review: Cheltenham Class 52

western.jpg.c07f1fd1cb0ec14257d76f9e3daa3d87.jpg


Review: Bachmann Western Pullman

pullman.jpg.9e1d4f9e69b2e44e9fdc2309ea312c56.jpg


Review: Rivarossi 'Big Boy'

821738463_HornbyBigBoy.jpg.353fc09a35ac5bfcb3e35ab369d71a4c.jpg


New books
Tail Lamp: The Model Centre

 

Download your digital copy of BRM today, from pocketmags.com/BRM

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When is the analogue version in the shops for us dinosaurs please?

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Colin,

 

It's on-sale from September 12.

 

Steve

  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

When does it go live on exact editions :)

 

Hopefully during tomorrow! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This month's digital issue features a 40min video look behind the scenes at Bachmann on a container arrival day.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Andy, for some reason, the link to the digital edition of BRM is taking me to the German version of pocketmags.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

This month's digital issue features a 40min video look behind the scenes at Bachmann on a container arrival day.

 

 

 

Is that on the DVD that subscribers get, or is it just online only?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Is that on the DVD that subscribers get, or is it just online only?

 

It's online only as it was only signed off on Monday. The DVD gets completed at a much earlier date. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reviewing the decidedly non-British Rivarrossi Big Boy in a magazine that is resolutely entitled "British Railway Modelling"...??!! :scratchhead:

 

That'll have the Purists spluttering. :mosking:

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the RM Web Gold Exact Editions version the DVD link  opens Youtube but to a screen saying unavailable. Is that a fault or just a time delay to go live? Not a problem if we just have to wait a day or so for the DVD content.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, john new said:

From the RM Web Gold Exact Editions version the DVD link  opens Youtube but to a screen saying unavailable. Is that a fault or just a time delay to go live? Not a problem if we just have to wait a day or so for the DVD content.

 

Sorry about this. We're on the case but it might be Monday morning as the two designers are off at the moment. Leave it with us.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Reviewing the decidedly non-British Rivarrossi Big Boy in a magazine that is resolutely entitled "British Railway Modelling"...??!! :scratchhead:

 

That'll have the Purists spluttering. :mosking:

 

 

No way was I turning down that opportunity!

H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Howard Smith said:

 

No way was I turning down that opportunity!

 

 

To have purists spluttering?

 

G

  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Pocketmags version appears to have to two of Page 56 at present. I have attached a pdf of Page 55 which is missing which features decorating brickwork with coloured pencils and mixing paint as part of the techniques feature.

 

page_55.pdf

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The container unpacking video seems to cut off very abruptly at 38:59 - in mid sentence? Is this intentional?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JohnR said:

The container unpacking video seems to cut off very abruptly at 38:59 - in mid sentence? Is this intentional?

 

Oh dear, not sure why that's truncated as the editing file is 10 minutes longer! It will take about 7 hours to re-render and upload the full version which should have another ten minutes at the end. I shall just do the missing portion and upload it here later.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/09/2019 at 13:38, F-UnitMad said:

Reviewing the decidedly non-British Rivarrossi Big Boy in a magazine that is resolutely entitled "British Railway Modelling"...??!! :scratchhead:

 

That'll have the Purists spluttering. :mosking:

 

 

On 06/09/2019 at 16:52, Howard Smith said:

 

No way was I turning down that opportunity!

H

 

On 06/09/2019 at 18:11, grahame said:

 

To have purists spluttering?

 

G

 

Don't worry.

 

A future issue will probably include a review of a Köf.

 

Before anyone really blows a fuse, I understand that some Köfs have actually been used in England - so even purists should have nothing to complain about.

 

 

Huw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Huw Griffiths said:

so even purists should have nothing to complain about.

Purists always have something to complain about... :nono:

 

:jester:

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the magazine layout manager for BRM was on holiday when this was put to bed.

 

I have 3 pictures of a drill bit being coaxed into position against a piece of sticky tape.  In fact most of the pictures on page 60 (74 on pocketmags) fail to relate to the article  - as also with the pictures related to mixing paint.

The Bachmann unboxing video box appears on the last page of the Bachmann Western Pullman article* but shows an error on opening (video unavailable) and two pages on where the video box is again shown where it should be, it refuses to open.

 

* and so prevents the last page of the article being read.

 

Apart from that it is a good edition.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

 

Hmmm ... I could almost imagine some wind-up artist putting that to the test - by throwing together a layout guaranteed to annoy any hardcore purists.

 

Let's think - a switching layout, set in a fictitious preservation line depot, at the top of a hill - complete with loads of "toys" (turntable, traverser, stuff like that) but distinctly lacking in scenery.

 

Now throw in some locos and stock from a mix of countries - then give the whole thing a name that just screams out: "Rivet counters look away now."

 

Something along the lines of "Missen Summit" should do just fine.

 

Finally, just stand back - and wait for the inevitable fireworks ... .

 

 

Would I go ahead with such a scheme? Probably not - but I could imagine some people being tempted.

 

It could certainly be fun - but I suspect that anyone who tried to offer a layout along these lines as anything other than a "have a go" switching puzzle, without a track record of building and exhibiting "proper" layouts, might have little chance of ever getting another exhibition invite.

 

This might spoil the fun somewhat.

 

 

Huw.

  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

I guess the magazine layout manager for BRM was on holiday when this was put to bed.

 

I have 3 pictures of a drill bit being coaxed into position against a piece of sticky tape.  In fact most of the pictures on page 60 (74 on pocketmags) fail to relate to the article  - as also with the pictures related to mixing paint.

 

Since those bits were mine, I made a bit of a fuss and if you download the issue again, they are now fixed. Sorry about that. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Huw Griffiths said:

Let's think - a switching layout, set in a fictitious preservation line depot, at the top of a hill - complete with loads of "toys" (turntable, traverser, stuff like that) but distinctly lacking in scenery.

 

Now throw in some locos and stock from a mix of countries - then give the whole thing a name that just screams out: "Rivet counters look away now."

 

Something along the lines of "Missen Summit" should do just fine.

 

Finally, just stand back - and wait for the inevitable fireworks ... .

 

 

Would I go ahead with such a scheme? Probably not - but I could imagine some people being tempted.

 

How did you know about my latest project? :P

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.