Howl's Bay.

Howl03

Hi Paul

Very nicely modelled and a layout I look forward to seeing sometime.

How did you produce and weather the cobbles/setts on the actual quayside - they look particularly effective? Also, is the slightly curved point at the fiddle end a Peco curved turnout or a straight one that's been slightly doctored?

Cogratulations  on a very attractive scene

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Davey said:

I love this compact layout and am very impressed by the realistic look of the water, which creates an impression of depth and movement.

Davey

Thank you Davey, The water was a bit of an experiment, I used a piece of water colour paper that I painted then applied PVA glue to create the reflection. The paper has a slight texture that looks like ripples on the surface. I still want to add a couple more layers of PVA.

Regards Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Hi Paul

Very nicely modelled and a layout I look forward to seeing sometime.

How did you produce and weather the cobbles/setts on the actual quayside - they look particularly effective? Also, is the slightly curved point at the fiddle end a Peco curved turnout or a straight one that's been slightly doctored?

Cogratulations  on a very attractive scene

Thank You Pacific321G, The Point is a Peco curved turnout. The cobbles are from Wills, I first paint them grey then I apply black over the top while the paint is still wet I wipe the black of with a cloth this leaves black in all the crevices. I then weather with powders. Some photos below to illustrate my technic. These are some cobbles that I produced for another of my layouts.

fullsizeoutput_f4.jpeg.049838d9e0a2a61798bcbf10f88ed868.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f3.jpeg.d8a3d9de19f9148088f82919e62f97ee.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f8.jpeg.fb7f0c7ea2d2e3bbdc599018d594a57d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_fe.jpeg.15e138799ff4f208d468ffd554c8691d.jpeg

Regards Paul.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, sb67 said:

Really like the last few pics, the railcar looks great on there. What is the maximum length of the train you run on there Paul?

Steve

Thank you Steve. A Loco and three wagons is the Maximum. I don't own any locos bigger than 0-6-0's  I have always been a big fan of small shunting engines.

Regards Paul.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Calidore said:

A fantastic scene Paul, really photo-perfect as with all your work. How are you managing without a wrapping paper box, though?!

Thank you Calidore. yeah I do miss not being able to have a box to protect it and keep dust at bay. :D

Regards Paul.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, stewartingram said:

How does the lorry get to where it is?

Stewart

Hi Stewart, I sometimes get carried away taking photos without thinking about the reality of of a scenario. Its tight and the driver needs to drink plenty of coffee.

Regards Paul.

fullsizeoutput_1659.jpeg.10c5668117cda46e74013220ab24597b.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Howl03 said:

Hi Stewart, I sometimes get carried away taking photos without thinking about the reality of of a scenario. Its tight and the driver needs to drink plenty of coffee.

Regards Paul.

fullsizeoutput_1659.jpeg.10c5668117cda46e74013220ab24597b.jpeg

I was only thinking that it's a big drop between the rails!

Stewart