Polypropylene Paint

Julia

Not specifically railway, but I'd like to repaint the storage box that I use for my locos so it blends in a bit more under the layout. 

The material it's made from is Polypropylene, according to the little 5 in the recycling logo embossed on the bottom. 

What's the best paint for Polypropylene? I'm guessing I'm gonna need a primer of some kind? Any suggestions?

Thanks

J

26 minutes ago, Julia said:

Not specifically railway, but I'd like to repaint the storage box that I use for my locos so it blends in a bit more under the layout. 

The material it's made from is Polypropylene, according to the little 5 in the recycling logo embossed on the bottom. 

What's the best paint for Polypropylene? I'm guessing I'm gonna need a primer of some kind? Any suggestions?

Thanks

J

I'll be surprised (and gratified) if there is a sutable paint.

Everything polypropylene that I've tried to paint (or stick) has resisted very successfully.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

And despite what those sites will say, you are unlikely to get a good and permanent coverage.

It took the industry years and millions of pounds to develop grade of polypropylene (PP) that could be painted for use in the automotive industry.  This involved the use of special and relatively expensive additives in the plastic to anchor the paint.  Those additives will not be present in your box I am afraid to say. 

If you do find a spray can that says it is suitable for use on PP, you will find it's a colour for use on cars and it means for use on PP based bumpers and bodywork - ie. those grades that have the special additive.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not very helpful I know but it might save you a lot of time and expence if you bought a more suitably coloured stockbox. We ended up relaying half our layout when we came across the problem of painting polypropylene track bases. One industrial painter did say he could do it but we'd have to vacate the clubhouse for about 12months until the fumes had subsided!!

Tony

On 16/09/2019 at 18:13, MikeOxon said:

.. or curtains across the area under the railway, to hide everything but still give easy access when needed.

That would actually stand out more than the storage boxes...

Shame it looks like paint isn't going to stick to polyprop. *DOUGH* 

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. 

J

Edited by Julia