Dapol 7mm Autocoach DCC question

Keith J

Hi all,

I've noticed that the forthcoming 7mm Autocoach is available with either a lightbar and DCC ready or a lightbar and DCC fitted. I assume that the DCC fitted version is just to allow the lights to be switched on and off (on a DCC layout of course) as I can't think of anything else it could be used for. Does anyone know if this correct?

Thanks.

• 6 months later...

Dear RMWebbers,

I would appreciate some guidance concerning the Dapol O gauge auto coaches.

Several months ago I bought one of the 'Lightbar and DCC fitted' models. (7P-004-009D)

The DCC fitted option simply allows you to switch on/off the lighting in the vestibule and the driver's cab using Function Keys on my DCC controller (NCE Powercab)

It works well and I'm pleased with it.

Last week I bought a second (7P-004-008D). This is also 'Lightbar and DCC Fitted'. However, this model behaves differently. The vestibule lights come on when DCC is applied and they remain on regardless of pressing the appropriate function key. The cab lights don't come on at any time whether the appropriate function key is pressed or not. I've contacted Dapol asking this and other technical details. Their response was frankly useless.

So, it's over to you guys. Any suggestion welcome!

3 hours ago, 7007GreatWestern said:

I've contacted Dapol asking this and other technical details. Their response was frankly useless.

So, it's over to you guys. Any suggestion welcome!

Where did you buy it, in a shop or directly from Dapol?

When in a shop then this is the place where you have to claim your service. It seems like a wire or bad decoder problem to me. Wich is not the first time with Dapol 7mm. But, nevertheless the shop has the obligation to help you out. And the shop has to solve the problem with Dapol. It's a European rule and because the UK still is in a transition you still can claim those European rules.

8 hours ago, Henk Visscher said:

Where did you buy it, in a shop or directly from Dapol?

When in a shop then this is the place where you have to claim your service. It seems like a wire or bad decoder problem to me. Wich is not the first time with Dapol 7mm. But, nevertheless the shop has the obligation to help you out. And the shop has to solve the problem with Dapol. It's a European rule and because the UK still is in a transition you still can claim those European rules.

Hello Norman and Henk,

Thank you both for your responses.

Yes I'm aware that F1 and F2 work the lights - that feature works ob my original auto coach  (7P-004-009D) but not the second, which seems strange.

Henk - the reason I went to Dapol directly is that I asked some more detailed questions that I felt the retailer probably wouldn't know.........because they aren't answered in Dapol's product instructions or marketing literature!!!

My questions were as follows:-

These particular models are 'Lightbar and DCC fitted' - but I can find no reference to which DCC decoder is fitted (Dapol Imperium?), what interface it has (8 pin? 21 pin?) or where the circuit board is located.

It seems strange to me that these details aren't in the instructions. The written response I received from Dapol didn't clarify anything. I see that Dapol have outsourced their servicing to DCC Supplies in Worcestershire I'll try them. In the mean time, any insights from RMWebbers will be appreciated.

25 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I'm not sure Diagram N or any other trailers were given lights in the driver's compartment; there is no need for them!

That may be historically correct but it isn't particularly relevant! These products are intended to have separately lighting in the cab and vestibule, both of which are independently switchable.

At the moment I have one Dapol auto coach which allows this, and another which doesn't respond to any switching of either set of lights. These are identical products with almost identical product codes. On paper, only the livery is different yet they are behaving differently! The suspicion I have is that this is one of the 'Lightbar only' models (ie Not DCC fitted) in a DCC Fitted box. I can't prove it though and the problem might be something else entirely.

• 7 months later...

I have a similar issue. I have the DCC fitted Dapol O Gauge Autocoach. When placed on the tracks both sets of lights come on (passenger compartment and driver cab), however pressing the function keys doesn't turn the lights off. I have an NCE PowerCab.

Do these come "Pre-programmed" or do you need to do this?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the DCC fitted version. F1 switches the coach interior lights on and F2 does likewise for the drivers compartment, despite the instructions saying differently. I've tried reading the address of the decoder however I just receive an error message indicating that the decoder isn't responding. This is a tad annoying as I want to change the address from it's default of 3 but can't.

• RMweb Gold

Most DCC's system's can't read decoders when theres no motor attached. Usually have to remove the decoder and put it on a tester or something motorised but I'm guessing thats not doable with the Autocoach.

Depending on the system programming on the main track might work but not all systems can change CV1 (for a short address) on the main.

Programming on the main to change the address will not work for many DCC systems, they are designed to protect the operator from inadvertently  changing all his locos to be the same.

To change the address on a decoder with no motor as for a coach then place it on the programming track with a loco and proceed to change the address of both loco and coach then simply remove the coach and program the loco back to what you had originally.

I think NCE will allow you to change an address on the main but don't know of any others.

Norman

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone has had a similar problem... my O gauge Dapol autocoach (lightbar fitted for DCC) saloon lights have stopped working, and the drivers cabin light now work on F7, not F2 as it originally did. I fear I may have corrupted the chip ( a Gaugemaster DCC27 according to DCC Supplies, who incidentally I find much more helpful than Dapol) when trying to change the loco address, but I'm finding it impossible to reset the decoder. Any ideas anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Should be easy then.  Just place your autocoach and a loco on the track together and program them both to the spec for your autocoach.  When you've done that remove the autocoach and program the loco separately.

If you are using the programming track it should work.

Try with just the loco.

If that works add the coach and try again.

If programming the loco does not work then there is something wrong with your setup.

• 4 weeks later...

I have bought the Dapol Autocoach 7P-004-007 GWR Lied Crimson 37, without Lightbar and decoder. I

I now want to install a 21 pin function decoder and also the lighting equipment, but I don't know how to install it in the wagon. Can I get the lighting system with DCC suplies. Can someone help me

LG Werner from Austria