Help required with my HST

Andy1963

Hi, several years ago I converted my HST buffet car into a powered unit using a Bachmann class 158 chassis and made both power cars dummy. This was done because on my then layout the power car wouldn't push the set up the gradients. I've now obtained the Hornby TTS sound decoders for the dummy power cars. My question is, can I give all 3 decoders the same address, or do I need to give them individual addresses and create a consist to run the train. This might be a very simple question, but I'm not that knowledgeable about DCC.

Short answer is yes you can give them all the same address, but all sounds will run together upon selection. Great if you want synchronised horns or engine starts.

You can also give them separate addresses and run as a consist in which case you can usually control each decoder sound set separately. TTS does not support advanced consisting.

Note that some controllers need a decoder to have a motor load when programming, other controllers can program a decoder in a dummy car.

Edited by RAF96
Deleted duplicated word
  • Informative/Useful 1

raf69's point was that programming a decoder may need a motor load with some controllers.

operationally afterwards its not a problem as the hst is not a steam loco with chuffs to synchronise with  speed.

Depending on the length of your hst .... are the ends far enough apart to notice the dual source sound????   ... for years at 100gbp/time i only had 1 SWT loksound in each of my hsts ... but had considered wiring a speaker through ....but the cost of power couplings (if not also being needed for lighting) was almost the cost of another loksound .... the Hornby solution is much more affordable ( or was, especially when they were dumping the Virgin TTS version )