Tiny wheels source for O gauge scratch build

Hi,

I'm trying to find a source for a set of four wheels approximately 9.4mm diameter. I've spent days searching and I cannot find anything this small with a suitable width for O gauge track.

It's for something I've been considering for a while, just as something different (and something else to build) - a "Fairmont Speeder" rail car. The thread about the Ford railcar prompted me to actually have a go at it.

The prototype wheels are 16" and look as if they are pressed steel.

Or if nothing is available, does anyone know a place that will turn a set to specifications, at a sensible price?

I'm not starting anything for this unless I can get suitable wheels, as those are the one special part I cannot make or modify myself. The rest of it should be an interesting challenge if i go ahead, as the space available for the drive system and decoder is tiny.

[And it must have sound, the hit & miss engines are one of the most distinctive features of these.]

A couple of prototype pictures, for reference:

fairmont1_500.jpg

rail-motor-car-38.jpg

Hmm. 00 Lowmac wheels on pieces of suitable diameter steel or brass rod for replacement axles? With careful attention to back-to-back measurements they should work over modern 0 gauge track and pointwork. I believe at least one RMWebber has regauged a Hornby Smokey Joe chassis to 32mm gauge in this way and had it work reliably. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi,

thanks for the replies.

I have looked at various OO/HO wheels but not found anything that has the appropriate proportions.

Bearings - interesting idea, they would need to be epoxied up on the driving axle, but definitely worth looking in to!

I have been looking at model cars and found a couple of types, that are either suitable diameter or suitable thickness - but not both.

They are also mostly aluminium, so difficult to work with.

One of my last resort possibilities is some 1:87 cast brass ones I already bought on the offchance, with small sections of brass then mild steel tube soldered over them to bring the diameter out to 9.5mm or so. The wheels are only about 5.2mm diameter and 2.9mm thick...

They would still need a flange adding at that, and I cannot see me getting all the parts true without access to a lathe.

Another possibility is 3D printing, if any place does actual steel or something similarly strong; I've not really investigated that yet.

IMG_9682.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/09/2019 at 14:49, PatB said:

Hmm. 00 Lowmac wheels on pieces of suitable diameter steel or brass rod for replacement axles?

I've gone with this idea, at least for now - but some Marklin E320552 HO wheels, 9.5mm diameter.

They look relatively wide so hopefully they will run OK.

s-l300.jpg

Edited by RobjUK
  • Like 1

Have a look at n brass locos kits for wickham trolleys - they look to have similar wheels, perhaps an etch fixed to the face of dished wheels?

The proprietor was helpful when I had dealings with him several years back, might be worth asking.

Failing that, romford 9mm wheels with brass or styrene inlay.