Screw pitch help - not M3.5 not 4BA

jonhall

Guest Lyonesse

UNF 6-40 is .136 in diameter and 40 TPI.  4BA is .142 in diameter and 38.5 TPI, so close-ish.  The unified thread standard has been around since the end of WW2.  At one time, I believe, it was called the ABC (America-Britain-Canada) standard.

6 minutes ago, jonhall said:

yes very old brass - I'd expected ba if i'm, honest - a known 4ba screws in a couple of turns before stopping  - i'm wondering if they are just a little miss formed?

Thanks for suggestions so far

Jon

4BA is the highly convenient 38.5 tpi* so chances are they're 6-40 UNF

Bet you could screw a 4BA screw in until it suddenly shears off. I've played this kind of game before :D

Richard

* doesn't seem to be a convenient metric pitch either :dontknow:

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Are they too small to be 3/16" BSF?

Not sure - I don't have a 'known'  3/16" BSF to try them with.

Thanks for all the suggestions. if anyone could use them for the cost of postage I'll happily pop them in a jiffy bag - most of my grandfathers (and therefore my) stocks are BA, so I can't really use them.

Jon

37 minutes ago, jonhall said:

Not sure - I don't have a 'known'  3/16" BSF to try them with.

Thanks for all the suggestions. if anyone could use them for the cost of postage I'll happily pop them in a jiffy bag - most of my grandfathers (and therefore my) stocks are BA, so I can't really use them.

Jon

3/16 is 0.188", 40 thou bigger than 4BA. 0.040" is near enough 1mm* - you'd spot that

Richard

*or 3" at 4mm to the foot

12 hours ago, RLWP said:

3/16 is 0.188", 40 thou bigger than 4BA. 0.040" is near enough 1mm* - you'd spot that

Richard

*or 3" at 4mm to the foot

Oh no - its definitely not that then, the known 4ba bolt can be screwed in one turn to the unknown nut before it gets stuck, so they are very close size wise.

Thanks,

Jon

• Like 1