dc controled points on dcc layout how to

martinapsid

My Layout is DCC controlled and all the Point Motors are RC Type servos driven by MERG servo 4 controller operated by switches on the control panel so sort of DC

Standard solenoid type point motors can also be used but they tend to need IIRC an AC supply to the CDU but I suppose could also use DC ?

Paul

Any point solenoid or motor will work off DC.

I will stick my neck out here and say I am not aware of a commercial point drive solenoid or motor that only works off AC in the UK.

I would take the power from a sperate transformer with a 12 volt AC  output via a four amp rectifier.

You could take the AC supply from the dcc transformer via a rectifier to drive the solenoids or motors but the voltage may be a bit high.

Gordon A

8 minutes ago, JimFin said:

Pedant mode on, or electronics engineer mode on, if you prefer :)

A transformer converts AC to AC. A rectifier converts AC to DC.

Gaugemaster should know better than to call a Power Supply a Transformer.

Regards,

John P

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 08/09/2019 at 18:04, Gordon A said:

Any point solenoid or motor will work off DC.

I will stick my neck out here and say I am not aware of a commercial point drive solenoid or motor that only works off AC in the UK.

I would take the power from a sperate transformer with a 12 volt AC  output via a four amp rectifier.

You could take the AC supply from the dcc transformer via a rectifier to drive the solenoids or motors but the voltage may be a bit high.

Gordon A

Do not under any circumstances use the same transformer to supply the DCC and the points supply. Keep them separate.

I speak from experience. 

Nick

• Friendly/supportive 1

I have a DCC controlled layout with DC operated points  using Tortoise motors from a separate 12vDC supply. There is no connection between the two. The frog switching uses the contacts on the motors which are totally separate from the motor control connections.

John

• Agree 3

I should have correctly said do not use the same winding on a transformer. 

I have a substantial transformer, 20Amp, on my fixed American layout.  It has a host of tappings on it and being frugally minded I used one to provide the points power via a CDU, again fairly hefty 25000mf capacitor.  Somewhere a connection between the track supply and the points circuit was inadvertently created. It very efficiently cooked some decoders fortunately in the days before sound but still quite costly at the time.

So lesson learned. 

Nick

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Exactly, I have the same, I saw no need for expensive point/accessory decoders, so the trains run on DCC but my points are good old fashioned analogue. I just used the accessory output from an old Gaugemaster controller, it is more than enough. No need to make it complicated, simple switches and a cheap power supply (or old controller) are all you need, I'd likely look to Gaugemaster for one if I were buying one as I've always had good experiences with their products.

• Agree 2

• 8 months later...

Hi JDW 

New to all this and my question, is it possible to have an hybrid system, by that I mean the points are DC but operated from a Tablet showing the layout (similar to DCC systems) a touch screen to operate the points by touching it on screen rather than using a bank of toggles? Perhaps will need an interface between the tablet and points just wondering.....

Thanks Chilly 

• Like 1

@chilly, you have just purchased a z21 and you can therefore create a mimic diagram using the z21 application - it doesn't make sense (to me) to create a hybrid when you have everything you need  in your hand already.

If you didn't have a z21 already then there *may* be a different discussion, but you have it therefore the z21 route is, I consider, more sensible and less prone to failures and operational issues..

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, WIMorrison said:

@chilly, you have just purchased a z21 and you can therefore create a mimic diagram using the z21 application - it doesn't make sense (to me) to create a hybrid when you have everything you need  in your hand already.

If you didn't have a z21 already then there *may* be a different discussion, but you have it therefore the z21 route is, I consider, more sensible and less prone to failures and operational issues..

I’ve been following this thread, as I too am planning a new layout. That said, I am a committed fan of DCC, and I too was wondering what the advantage is of adopting a DC points operating system linked to a touch screen mimic panel, when that very thing is part of what DCC can do. I’m not familiar with z21, although from what I’ve read, it seems impressive, not least with the way it can create digital screen mimic panel. It’s certainly making me think about options for next steps.

Just being a skinflint on point decoders, layout has 22 points including 2 double slips so including motors when it happens...…….:heat:

Already need 10 loco decoders oh yeah plus the points above and 2x25yd packs of flexi ............ :rolleyes: 

z21 on route from Germany so only got at the moment 10 steam loco's

Edited by Chilly

You're looking at 1 'thing' to control several. Unless you send signals in codes along a pair of wires (which is what DCC does), you will need 1 device with 50 wires hanging from it, then a way of converting the lower voltage/current to a higher one.

I am sure it can be done with an Arduino, PI or a PC, but it will involve some sort of programming & time to learn how to do it. Are you comfortable with this?

If not, then maybe DCC or a hard-wired panel are your remaining options?

30 minutes ago, Chilly said:

Just being a skinflint on point decoders, layout has 22 points including 2 double slips so including motors when it happens...…….:heat:

Already need 10 loco decoders oh yeah plus the points above and 2x25yd packs of flexi ............ :rolleyes: 

z21 on route from Germany so only got at the moment 10 steam loco's

What turnout motors are you using? That will restrict the type of accessory decoder that you use - but integrating it all onto DCC is a much better way to go than ending up with a mixed bag of tricks.