Mashima motor in Lima Class 20

Paul13

I have a mashima motor with flywheel that runs really well and fits a Lima Class 20 (pictured) . I am looking for some advice with the best way to connect the motor to the drive shaft. The motor shaft is much thicker than the Lima original so the slotted joining piece won't fit. I was thinking perhaps heat shrink? 

IMG_20190908_163841.jpg

Was the Lima motor kaput? The Mash won't improve performance much, the trouble with the Lima is the very small reduction, 4:1 from memory, and the arrangement of traction tyres on the power bogie to overcome the braking of the worst (draggiest) pick up arrangement in the world on the other bogie. Replace the power bogie wheels with metal tyred, remove Lima's pick ups and screw on wiper pick ups all round, and it will do a scale 500mph, if you have enough straight track to allow it to graft up to maximum speed...

4 hours ago, RAF96 said:

...Some old click biros have bits you can purloin and modify as cardan shaft joiners.

More from the home of bodgery. Went to a local school fete this year and among other things won some tooth rotting hard candy lollies. These once came on wooden sticks and then rolled paper. But now on a plastic tube about 4.5mm outside, 1.5mm i.d.. Have already been deployed to make similar replacement drive couplers on a Rivarossi mech owned by a friend.

The lima motor does work, but is quite jerky at low speed when power is put across the terminals. The mashima does seem smoother. I've replaced the lima bogies and wheels with Hornby which improved it a bit. The Lima pickups were so draggy it could barely move itself never mind pull anything.  Some bodgery and experimenting needed.

On 09/09/2019 at 02:03, RAF96 said:

Model trams often use car windscreen washer type tube as a universal ‘joint’ twixt motor and bogie. Some old click biros have bits you can purloin and modify as cardan shaft joiners.

Thin-wall silicone tube is very flexible and it works well as a universal joint. It's used as fuel lines for model aircraft but you can find lots of different sizes on-line. To accommodate variations in shaft length due to articulation I make the shaft from two nested square brass tubes.

13 hours ago, AndyID said:

To accommodate variations in shaft length due to articulation I make the shaft from two nested square brass tubes.

A technique often used with steel tubes on 1:1 old tractor power take off drives.

3 hours ago, RAF96 said:

A technique often used with steel tubes on 1:1 old tractor power take off drives.

Maybe not that old. I attach implements to my tractor PTO with shafts like that.

Hexagonal brass tubes are better than square tubes if you can find them but I don't know of anyone still making them.