Silhouette Portrait :Cutting Scalescenes kit

The goal is to  Download the free Scalescenes kit R024_TX24_OO  pdf file and , as an example ,  have  the Silhouette Portrait cut some parts   using  only  the Scalescenes  original polygons  ( I didn't add any  polygons )

That  process requires the Silhouette Studio software  designer edition  ( In order to  merge  .pdf files  and  to  work using  layers)

Procedure:

1) Download the  free R024_TX24_OO.pdf  file from the Scalescenes website

2) Merge ( import )  page 1   with the Silhouette Studio

3) Ungroup  the page ,  this results in  a bunch   ( more than 1000 )  of polygons

3) Delete the unnecessary  polygons  and   for the example we keep the Window sill , Chimney cap cover layer , External chimney cover layer , External front wall cover layer,  External side wall cover layers   and the roof tiles.

4)   Separate those polygons in 3 layers : print , score and cut layers

5)  In the "Send" window, select the "send" submenu 

6) for each  layer, create a  cutting profile (it depends of the paper thickness ) : No cut for the print layer, low force for the score layer , and  normal force for the cut layer.

Here are   2 very important screen dumps:  

separate the polygons in 3 layers and cut by layers.

In order to avoid any copyright problem , the  Silhouette Studio  file  is the  coal13.studio file and it can be downloaded from the  Scalescenes Modellers Group   facebook group.

Screen2.jpg

screen1.jpg

silh2.jpg

Edited by Biased turkey
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

I've tried this as just recently got my Silhouette Cameo 3 and can't get it to cut correctly files that I've done myself. The main issue I have with this is I tried it on paper and it just stuck to the cutting matt so would have been unusable if I was actually wanting to build the kit.

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Turnesc said:

I've tried this as just recently got my Silhouette Cameo 3 and can't get it to cut correctly files that I've done myself. The main issue I have with this is I tried it on paper and it just stuck to the cutting matt so would have been unusable if I was actually wanting to build the kit.

What settings did you have the blade set at, how many passes and what speed were you using?

I've cut paper OK with my portrait with a low (1 or 2) blade depth, a single pass and a reasonably low speed.

Just now, Ray H said:

What settings did you have the blade set at, how many passes and what speed were you using?

I've cut paper OK with my portrait with a low (1 or 2) blade depth, a single pass and a reasonably low speed.

Speed was set to 3 and a single pass. The issue wasn't that it hadn't cut, but that the matt just seems to be too sticky.

I've created files from the footbridge kit myself and tried to get it to cut a page mounted on thick card, but so far when testing earlier it refused to find the registration marks.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, I've no experience with the autoblade. Did you set the material as paper - assuming that the Studio software will still let you?

I think there was some mention of new cutting mats being mega sticky some while ago in this thread. I seem to recall there was a suggestion for overcoming it but can't recall how it was done. Was it by rubbing a hand over the sticky side of the mat? I can't recall.

Thanks, I'll have a look see if I can find that thread as or I'll only be able to cut anything on card.

So far it's not been as easy I thought it was going to be to get up and running with the cutter. Hopefully it will all pay off and make cutting out the excellent kits much easier and speed up  being able to create them once I've converted the pdf's.

• 7 months later...
On 09/09/2019 at 02:30, Biased turkey said:

The goal is to  Download the free Scalescenes kit R024_TX24_OO  pdf file and , as an example ,  have  the Silhouette Portrait cut some parts   using  only  the Scalescenes  original polygons  ( I didn't add any  polygons )

That  process requires the Silhouette Studio software  designer edition  ( In order to  merge  .pdf files  and  to  work using  layers)

Procedure:

1) Download the  free R024_TX24_OO.pdf  file from the Scalescenes website

2) Merge ( import )  page 1   with the Silhouette Studio

3) Ungroup  the page ,  this results in  a bunch   ( more than 1000 )  of polygons

3) Delete the unnecessary  polygons  and   for the example we keep the Window sill , Chimney cap cover layer , External chimney cover layer , External front wall cover layer,  External side wall cover layers   and the roof tiles.

4)   Separate those polygons in 3 layers : print , score and cut layers

5)  In the "Send" window, select the "send" submenu 

6) for each  layer, create a  cutting profile (it depends of the paper thickness ) : No cut for the print layer, low force for the score layer , and  normal force for the cut layer.

Here are   2 very important screen dumps:  

separate the polygons in 3 layers and cut by layers.

In order to avoid any copyright problem , the  Silhouette Studio  file  is the  coal13.studio file and it can be downloaded from the  Scalescenes Modellers Group   facebook group.

Screen2.jpg

screen1.jpg

silh2.jpg

How do you find using the print and cut feature? Is it usually accurate enough for scale models? 

It was my worst purchase ever it just never worked correctly. The cutting is not accurate and the metal springs on the roller leaves marks. I gave up in the end last year, but seeing your post have just given it another go, but same results. Tried thick card this time as last time was on paper and it cut through the mat to which everything stuck and was unusable even if it had cut in the right place.

It's sat on the top of unit for over 6 months gathering dust and might just spend another 6 months there.