Station off the mainline

Sol

Does anyone know of a station in the UK that is off the mainline similar to this ?- the red is the mainline meaning trains have to back in or out depending on the direction. Actual plan is not a necessity , just the modus operadi

Ron

Mara1.JPG

Cheltenham St James, after the building of the Honeybourne line, although many through trains bypassed St James and called only at Malvern Road.

Of course, had the GWR not pulled out of the East Gloucestershire Railway, St James would have been a through station and they would not have had this bother.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Newhaven Marine is just off the Lewes to Seaford line. Trains used to terminate there for ferry services to Dieppe. None ever continued on from there to Seaford. I don't think that it has been formally closed, although the buildings have now been removed and a port security fence runs along the middle of the platform. This is the last time I caught a train using it - and then only to pick up water from a fire service bowser! Occasionally scheduled trains terminating short at Newhaven Harbour or Town stations sometimes have used Marine to reverse and change to the up line.

Seaford 150 70013 Oliver Cromwell to Newhaven Marine 7 6 2014.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

For many years there were no mainline platforms at Shipley so Leeds to Morecambe trains had to go past the north junction on the triangle and reverse into the Bradford bound platform.   Coming the other way they ran into the Bradford platform then drw forwzrd before changing ends and setting off ro Leeds from the Ilkley platform.

Jamie

• Like 2

Would Swansea High Street, before the West Loop was built, fit the concept.  There was no direct route for trains too and from West Wales; any such had to reverse at Landore station, between the viaduct and the entrance to the shed. When the west loop was built, it had a fierce gradient and curvature and, as it was followed by the steep bank to Cockett tunnel, heavier trains required a second loco as pilot.

• RMweb Gold

Surely goods trains reversed all over the place? Only the largest dedicated yards had double ended designs, enabling incoming services to run straight in. Most station yards were single ended, and even if the freight train were able to drive straight in the loco would be trapped, so running round on the main line and then propelling in gave the loco a chance to do its work. 

Am I missing something here?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

As Oldddudders says, at wayside stations, goods trains would either set back into the goods yard road via a trailing connection from either the up or down line (both would normally exist), or shunt the yard whilst the main portion of the train stood on the running line. Major urban goods stations had reception lines laid out much as a passenger terminus, i.e. the train ran in and the engine ran round (or off to shed) via an engine release crossover.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/09/2019 at 08:57, F-UnitMad said:

The original Birmingham Moor Street, although it was more strictly a terminus to the side of the lines to Snow Hill; trains never backed into it from the Snow Hill direction.

8 hours ago, Sol said:

Now to find one that did the reversing for goods trains anywhere in UK & or Eire

Although passenger trains would never normally have reversed into Moor Street station, good trains from the North could have done as the goods station was single ended with a fan of about a dozen lines accessed off the relief passenger lines. The passenger station actually bisected the goods yard!

gwrms2724.jpg

Trains would have needed to cross from the Main to relief south of the station and the loco would then need to back the train into the goods station.

However was that was the mode of operation or were  they pre-sorted at Bordesley, a short distance away and then taken to Moor Street?

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

From what little reading i have done, Swansea High Street was reached by changing trains to a shuttle, the main train continuing west. That changed when the west loop was opened, of course.

Jonathan

Thanks; I wasn't sure about that. Presumably main-line trains would have carried on westwards? I had heard that High Street's platforms were quite short .