Mark's Workbench: back in the village again!

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Nile said:

I'm not sure, but I think I used Revell enamel varnish on my Cambrian wagons.

Were those WRRC transfers? Hopefully, my Humbrol enamel lacquer will turn up tomorrow, so I'll try to get another go at this wagon over the weekend!

• RMweb Premium

Just been looking back at your builds, and the transfers certainly seemed to settle well on your wagons. It'll be interesting to see how they behave with the Humbrol lacquer. I might try Humbrol gloss as well.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

A five-minute break from the dull monotony of work and the first "RYS" has been scraped off successfully, with apparently little if any damage to the underlying paint. A quick burnish of the area with a fibreglass pencil and it looks ready to go again :) Oddly enough, the "Load" transfers seem okay, as do the Prince of Wales feathers, so that's a bit of a bonus!

And so back to the grindstone.....

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday morning saw the arrival of a bottle of Humbrol Decalfix and an aerosol of Humbrol enamel matt varnish, so the afternoon's activities included the scraping off of the remaining wrinkled transfers and a new coat of gloss.

Today, new "CAM" "RYS" transfers were applied, and I can say "so far, so good". I'm office-bound for the next few days, so they'll have a chance to thoroughly dry out before I try the enamel varnish.

Not much else to report, as it was a bitty weekend with lots of small jobs done but no major progress.

Cheers for now,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

The next chapter in the Cambrian Railways transfers saga runs as follows:

While the initial results with the Decalfix seemed promising, the transfers still seemed a little reluctant to settle into the planking grooves and around the diagonal strapping, on Monday evening I applied another wash of Decalfix. Having left it to dry, there was no discernible improvement, so I employed the score with a sharp scalpel and re-apply strategy. Bizarrely, the transfers seemed to have become slightly elastic and quite "plasticky", they also didn't take to the blade and tore rather than cut. So off they came!

Third time lucky, I hope, as this morning I tried again, this time using using transfer from a new sheet, and returning to using MicroSol. They've settled down really well and with no sign of wrinkling. When they're fully dry, I may apply another wash of MicroSol, but I'm thinking "let sleeping dogs....."

This wagon has turned into a bit of a marathon, and I'm almost dreading the sealing lacquer coat, although I'll try the Humbrol enamel.

The other thing with the Decalfix that I found strange was that it seemed to leave a visible residue on the wagon side, and the brush I used to apply had hardened. Not terribly keen on it at first acquaintance, I have to say, but perhaps I should try it again before I discount it!

All the best,

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

This weekend's progress:

http://FB-IMG-1583490147483.jpg

Apologies if the photo is a bit duff - it was taken on my phone rather than with my camera.

The 4-plank at the back is the erstwhile wagon that has been vexing me greatly in recent days. I do think the transfers are a bit temperamental but I finally got them to do more-or-less what I wanted. However, and me being me, I couldn't stop myself giving them "just one more" treatment with MicroSol, and afterward they were ever so slightly less well-seated than before. Ergo, they don't like too much decal softening solution. As transfers go, they do seem much more trial-and-error than the other water-slide transfers I've used: for the next attempt I'm only going to use MicroSol after they've dried if they haven't settle properly by themselves.

The 3-plank fixed side I've mentioned before, and it's only cropped here again as it's had a coat of external livery grey, along with three 2-plank dropsides and another 4-plank high sided. Two of the 2-plank dropsides have got replacement floors, as the kit items sit a smidgeon high such that the bottom planks are a bit narrow! the 2- and 4-planks all have my usual scratch underframes, and will have MJT axleguards, of course.

All this Cambrianism has meant an interruption to the Midland D299s whose floors I made recently, but I'll be back on those before long, with a bit of luck!

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Mark, you don't do anything by half. I like the way you paint the interiors.

The Cam Rys lettering looks good from here, but I know how annoying it can be when you feel that you 'had it right' and then tried to improve it a little more... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Mikkel, I do get a bit carried away with the fun bits, then have the fiddly job of several sets of brake gear to do!

For me, the WRRC transfers are a bit of a curate's egg: beautifully printed, nice and thin and with a good opacity. I just seem to find them a bit temperamental, but it probably just me being ham-handed! I think I've got the measure of them now, though, so hopefully next time will be much easier!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ric,

I usually upload at 640x480 (I think!), so it'll be the same resolution - its usually okay but that last pic was from my mobile phone. Not sure why its taking you to PostImages, though, perhaps I used the wrong link option. I'll have a look and see if I work out what I've done.....

Cheers,

Mark

EDIT

It seems that most if not all my photographs do the same thing, so I'll need to examine the link options next time I'm uploading photos :(

Edited by 2996 Victor
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Three of the wagons shown just above have had their livery transfers applied, Welsh Railways Research Circle, of course. They still need their numbers, which are on the wagons' ends only.

This time, I used only warm water with a drop of washing up liquid, and no decal solution.

So far, all is well, and in fact better than all the previous attempts. They haven't fully settled down onto the surface, but I'm going to leave them several days and try one single application of MicroSol on just one of the wagons, and see how it goes!

Fingers crossed :)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/03/2020 at 11:19, 2996 Victor said:

I usually upload at 640x480 (I think!), so it'll be the same resolution - its usually okay but that last pic was from my mobile phone. Not sure why its taking you to PostImages, though, perhaps I used the wrong link option. I'll have a look and see if I work out what I've done.....

Ok, no worries. At least I know I'm not missing out on some higher res pics. :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Test post to see which photo upload link works best!

https://postimg.cc/PN2c0CPM

http://IMG-2000.jpg

http://IMG-2000.jpg

The photo was uploaded without changing the size as I normally do, and having logged out of PostImages, clicking on the link, the thumbnail and the large image takes me direct to the image in PostImages, which is then enlargeable. Could someone (@57xx @Mikkel @Compound2632) please see what happens when you click on them?

I'm in a bit of a quandary as to why the images further up the thread don't behave in the same way, as post-PhotoBucket, I've always used PostImages and never had a problem.

Anyway, hopefully, you can see the WRRC transfers on the latest 4-plank. They've gone on quite well, but haven't really comformed to the plank grooves, and there is a bit of silvering where the "CAM" and "RYS" cross the diagonals and in particular the bolt heads - the bottom of the "Y" is especially noticeable.

All the best,

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Clicking on either image takes me to the image at Postimage.org.

I find that any sort of transfers need some gentle encouragement with the side of the knife or similar to follow the contours of the plank grooves. You're not helped here by the inadequacies of the kit, which represents what should be a 45 degree chamfer on the lower plank as the sort of cavernous trench down which Luke Skywalker could pilot an X-wing fighter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Clicking on either image takes me to the image at Postimage.org.

I find that any sort of transfers need some gentle encouragement with the side of the knife or similar to follow the contours of the plank grooves. You're not helped here by the inadequacies of the kit, which represents what should be a 45 degree chamfer on the lower plank as the sort of cavernous trench down which Luke Skywalker could pilot an X-wing fighter.

Thanks, Stephen! I'm really not sure what's occurring, as I have also reloaded the photograph in Monday's post that Ric @57xx had trouble with, and it still goes to the PostImages home page *throws hands in the air and shrugs shoulders Gallicly!*

Regarding the plank grooves, more years ago than I care to remember, I was reading a review of the then new Matchbox 1:72 scale SAAB Tunnen, and I recall the reviewer's comment regarding the panel lines on the wings and fuselage: "the Matchbox canal-digger has been at work again!" While these aren't that bad in reality, they're certainly quite pronounced, aren't they? I'm still hopeful that MicroSol might improve the finish, or perhaps I should resort to using the Force - I'm hoping Proton Torpedoes won't be necessary.....

All the best,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

They'll follow instructions at knife-point... If you find that a bit too brutal, a finger nail can be equally effective - all in conjunction with MicroSol or MicroSet - every time I have to re-read the label to remind myself which is the right one to be using.

Also, have to remember that the photo is enlarging the wagon to something around Gauge 1!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

They'll follow instructions at knife-point... If you find that a bit too brutal, a finger nail can be equally effective - all in conjunction with MicroSol or MicroSet - every time I have to re-read the label to remind myself which is the right one to be using.

Also, have to remember that the photo is enlarging the wagon to something around Gauge 1!

I cut the transfers on the first Cambrian Railways wagon, when I used vast quantities of MicroSol first to try and get them to settle, but I think I'd caused the problems myself on that occasion. I'll probably slice through these with a new scalpel blade before MicroSol. Incidentally, I never remember which is which!

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

The story of the Cambrian Railways open wagons versus WRRC transfers continues.....

4-plank open:

One side had transfers carefully sliced with a scalpel blade along plank grooves and either side of diagonals, and MicroSol applied.

The transfers wrinkled but did not settle into grooves etc. The wrinkles smoothed out as the MicroSol dried, but the edges were still not drawn into the details and a small section of the "C" tore off during (gently) pressing down the transfers with a damp paper towel.

2-plank dropside #1:

MicroSol was applied to one side without slicing the transfers, which wrinkled much less than on the 4-plank. The transfers settled in to the grooves slightly, but not fully. Pressing down with a damp paper towel as recommended indented the transfer into the plank grooves, but the transfers did not stay fully indented.

2-plank dropside #2:

MicroSet was applied to one side, again without slicing the transfers. No wrinkling occurred, and the transfers settled down about as well as with the MicroSol. Again, though, while pressing with a damp paper towel indented the transfers into the plank grooves, they did not stay fully indented.

My conclusions thus far are that MicroSol is too strong a solution for these transfers, which become very soft when its applied. MicroSet, being milder, seems to work almost to the same degree, and maybe suitable for applying more than once. The 4-plank opens have more surface detail for the transfers to conform too, with the lettering having to cross the diagonal strapping with its bolt-head detail as well as the plank grooves. I have to say, though, that the adhesive on the transfers doesn't seem at all effective, and I wonder if this is more than part of the problem.

I'll treat the other side of the 4-plank with MicroSet, and also the two 2-planks, and see what occurs.

Cheers,

Mark

EDIT

At the moment, the use of a blunt finger nail seems every bit as effective as the MicroSol/Set solutions in getting the transfers to follow the plank grooves! I'm still not sure how best to get them to conform to the diagonal strapping/bolt-head detail on the 4-plank open - perhaps a combination of MicroSet and fingernail.....

Edited by 2996 Victor

• RMweb Premium

I've taken to applying any type of transfer to a gloss varnished surface - Humbrol gloss enamel from a rattle can or more recently, their clear gloss varnish brushed on. The latter claims to be suitable for preparing painted surfaces for decals.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

The link and both pics on you latest post all take me to the correct page on Postimg, I can see the wagons in gory hi res. :)

MicroSol is supposed to be the solution for putting on transfers that are already applied and making them "melt" on the model and look painted on. It is intended to make them very soft. MicroSet is supposed to be a wetting solution for when you first apply the transfers. From a bit of research, they are certainly different in their makeup. I haven't got any MicroSet but by all accounts it's just diluted acetic acid. My MicroSol has a very distinct smell that I couldn't pinpoint for ages but am now sure it is similar to glass cleaner, so probably contains ethanol and/or glycol ether.

You may need to try multiple applications of MicroSol to get the transfer to fully settle in. I've not actually tried it with grooves that wide. I use a cotton bud for pressing the transfers down, soft enough not to rip anything but firm enough to push in, also being small, you can target where you press, helping avoid rips. I'm also applying decals to gloss surfaces, my varnish of choice for this is Klear as I can get a nice thin layer on. Other gloss varnishes should work the same.

cheers

Ric

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I've taken to applying any type of transfer to a gloss varnished surface - Humbrol gloss enamel from a rattle can or more recently, their clear gloss varnish brushed on. The latter claims to be suitable for preparing painted surfaces for decals.

1 hour ago, 57xx said:

Hi Mark,

The link and both pics on you latest post all take me to the correct page on Postimg, I can see the wagons in gory hi res. :)

MicroSol is supposed to be the solution for putting on transfers that are already applied and making them "melt" on the model and look painted on. It is intended to make them very soft. MicroSet is supposed to be a wetting solution for when you first apply the transfers. From a bit of research, they are certainly different in their makeup. I haven't got any MicroSet but by all accounts it's just diluted acetic acid. My MicroSol has a very distinct smell that I couldn't pinpoint for ages but am now sure it is similar to glass cleaner, so probably contains ethanol and/or glycol ether.

You may need to try multiple applications of MicroSol to get the transfer to fully settle in. I've not actually tried it with grooves that wide. I use a cotton bud for pressing the transfers down, soft enough not to rip anything but firm enough to push in, also being small, you can target where you press, helping avoid rips. I'm also applying decals to gloss surfaces, my varnish of choice for this is Klear as I can get a nice thin layer on. Other gloss varnishes should work the same.

cheers

Ric

Hi both,

Yes, I always apply transfers to a gloss surface, a hang-over from my aeromodelling days!

I've tried using MicroSol both during application and as per the instructions. The MicroSet seems to be the better option, though. I've also used a cotton bud as you describe, Ric, sometimes dampened, and it's quite effective.

I don't know whether the depth of the plank grooves are a contributory factor, but I suspect so.

Trial and error seems to be the way forward, so I'll keep trying over the weekend to see whether I can find a definitive solution!

Cheers for now!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Did this one last year, wagon sides were given 2/3 coats of 'Klear' (the latest version is just as good if not better), transfers applied and excess water removed with a cotton bud then with a new dry bud I pushed down on to the transfer with the end, it was coated with Klear when dry then a waft of humbrol Matt acrylic varnish. I think they've gone quite well. It's a shame the grooves are a little on the large side but I suppose if they were perfectly to scale people would complain you couldn't see them!

20200307_134838_copy_1600x962.jpg.02a9f504ac6d445cdeeeb89312a4dc2f.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

Did this one last year, wagon sides were given 2/3 coats of 'Klear' (the latest version is just as good if not better), transfers applied and excess water removed with a cotton bud then with a new dry bud I pushed down on to the transfer with the end, it was coated with Klear when dry then a waft of humbrol Matt acrylic varnish. I think they've gone quite well. It's a shame the grooves are a little on the large side but I suppose if they were perfectly to scale people would complain you couldn't see them!

20200307_134838_copy_1600x962.jpg.02a9f504ac6d445cdeeeb89312a4dc2f.jpg

Hi @Worsdell forever,

Many thanks for posting your pic. You've made an excellent job of the 2-plank dropside, if I may say so, I certainly looks very good to me.

As you say, the plank grooves are a bit on the deep side, which doesn't help. The 4-plank is worse still!

I think I've probably achieved about the same degree of "settle" on my 2-plank dropsides as you have, so I think I'll have to leave it at that before I completely lose the plot!

However, I think I'm going to have to strip the 4-plank again, though, as the transfers are wrinkled again. I really do think the adhesive is a big part of the problem as the transfers lift and tear very easily.

Best regards,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

A few more photographs of the Cambrian Railways wagons currently in build and the vexing issue of the transfers. As subject matter, it's rapidly becoming boring and repetitive, and if it's boring me then, dear reader, I'm certain it's boring you. So these will be the last photos I'll post of these wagons until they're finally completed (whenever that may be - perhaps never):

http://IMG-2004.jpg

http://IMG-2007.jpg

http://IMG-2011.jpg

http://IMG-2013.jpg

As you can see, the transfers are still not sitting into the plank grooves properly, although the 2-plank dropsides seem better than the 4-plank. The transfers seem to stretch if gently persuaded with a fingernail, but soon return to their default position, so what I really need to do is find the Youngs Modulus of Elasticity for transfer film! On the 4-plank, I stripped off the previous effort and tried yet again, although I'm completely out of "RYS"es. However, I've got the "CAM"s to follow the diagonal strapping quite nicely, I think, but the plank grooves? Nah!

I'll be away now for almost a week. However, in some ways I'm relieved to be removed from the temptation to fiddle with these blasted wagons! So as a parting shot, here's one of my Midland 3-plank dropsides, originally intended to be an S&DJR wagon but now transmogrified into a Derby wagon. Please excuse the use of a Slater's transfer wagon plate - it'll be disguised a bit during weathering!

http://IMG-2016.jpg

Cheers for now.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1