Decals for U.S. Railroads - availability in the UK?

John Tomlinson

I'm sure this must have come up before, for which my apologies.

As an occasional US modeller, I'm looking for some decals, possibly Microscale, to finish a refurbishment of a loco. I recently bought an ancient Rivarossi 2-8-8-2 Mallet from the N&W on ebay. Despite being in poor condition the mechanics were sound and after a total dismantle, deep clean and re-assembly it runs rather well. Although I've washed the main body parts thoroughly, a re-spray and hence re-decal would finish the job properly.

Having done some googling and ebaying it appears that purchase in the USA can greatly multiply the cost due to shipping charges, and I wondered if there's anyone left in the UK who sells US decals. Once upon a time MG Sharp might have been a hope, but I think they've closed, and Model Junction in Slough don't list decals on their website.

All ideas gratefully received.

Many thanks,

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo on wheel arrangement

It’s worth finding a dealer that has them, and will send it to you. A sheet of decals will fit in an envelope that does not have to cost a fortune to mail.

and yes MG Sharp closed years ago; i stopped in on a trip through, and was able to pick up a few dusty sets of freight cars...

• Thanks 1

All the decal sets that I've seen advertised on eBay in the US have high to eye-watering shipping. Model Junction may still be your best hope - they will order anything that is in stock at Walther's. I've ordered some fairly esoteric detailing bits from them (A-Line reefer units for instance) the only snag is that you may have to wait for a while.

Another thought - what exactly do you need - someone on RM Web may be happy to oblige.

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn
Typo
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a set of US TT decals made for me by a contact in Australia who produces excellent decals. If you email him he may be able to do what you want, His printing and postage rates are very reasonable. His name is Ted Freeman and his email address is teditor@bigpond.com.

• Thanks 1

It is worth trying Microscale direct. I bought several sets together in one package and the service was swift and very reasonable. Email them and ask for a shipping quote.  CMR Products do a great range of decals for the more unusual prototypes and their service was equally good.

Phil

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

John

I am a Brit and a retired Custom Painter in the US , what are you looking for I have hundreds of Decal sets most have some lettering missing from them but 75% of most sheets are good.

David

A Yorkshireman in the USA.

• Thanks 1

US postal costs are a nightmare with many sellers having a minimum order quantity as well. I recommend 

1) Identify what product you really want - make and product id.

2) Do an internet search for stockists

3) eMail each one and ask for their best/lowest mailing price,

Eventually decide to accept some financial pain, unless you strike lucky!

Cheers

Roger

PS, yes TMR Distributing is a good supplier, and being in Canada, their costs are sometimes more attractive.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Thank you all for your replies.

I think I shall try TMR in Canada, I've never bought from Canada before and they do take Paypal. So we'll see!

Thanks again,

John.

Yes they take Paypal.

A friend of mine did get hit with vat and Royal mail Handling fees recently. I haven't been hit before although I haven't ordered for a couple of years so don't know if anythig has changed.

• Thanks 1