009 micro modeller

T gauge lubricating gears

Does anyone have any ideas about how to lubricate the gears on T gauge stock and what to use? I’m getting mine ready for an exhibition and thinking that the oil I use to lubricate my 009 locos might be too heavy.

29 minutes ago, DavidMatthewson said:

I use a very very light Electrolube contact cleaning oil... Remember the gears are nylon/deldrin too.... Good luck!

Thanks.

https://cpc.farnell.com/electrolube/ecsp200db/electronic-cleaning-solvent-brush/dp/SA00027?mckv=sIpNcdFbj_dm|pcrid|224653462065|kword||match||plid||slid||product|SA00027|pgrid|47398149059|ptaid|pla-409566248833|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi52S8fXF5AIVRLDtCh091wKBEAQYBSABEgKHxvD_BwE

Is there one that isn’t an aerosol?

The precision lubricator listed as an alternative looks very similar to what I use for my 009 locos but I’m actually concerned that the oil itself is too heavy/viscous for the T gauge stuff.

1 hour ago, Ian Morgan said:

Instead of oil, have you considered graphite powder (pencil lead)?

Again, isn’t the particle size a potential problem given the small size of T gauge components?

if they are plastic they should not need lubricating as long as they are clean. Bearings on the other hand should have a light oil that is compatible with the materials used. So silicone if plastic is around.

generally it's grease for gears if needed at all ;)