Priory Road - North East Essex in BR days

Izzy

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hello Izzy,

I don't model in your scale but I do like the area and I find your work tremendously inspirational, it is quite exquisite and I love it!

Really, really - well done.

Following with interest,

John.

Thank you John, that's very nice of you to say so. If it helps encourage modelling in any way, and especially 2mm, then that is a real bonus.

Izzy

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 25/05/2020 at 19:43, Izzy said:

A LNER Type D concrete platelayers hut.

This was in 7mm. It seems there are several kits around in both 7mm & 4mm for these huts although I found no two looked quite the same when it came to size or details ……. However, as is so often the case, not only were there none in 2mm, but details and/or drawings of these were conspicous by their absence. References were made to the ‘standard’ concrete panel sizes, whatever they might have been, but little else. The huts seemed to use several different sizes. Hmm.

Izzy

Hi

Pity I didn’t see this sooner as I have a drawing for this type of hut.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Pity I didn’t see this sooner as I have a drawing for this type of hut.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul. I have been able to obtain a copy of the March ‘75 Model Railways mag with  the drawings in it 2mm Andy mentioned, but I now seem to find it asks as many questions as it answers! I hope to sort it out and do a post sometime....

Izzy

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Izzy said:

The body was made in a mix of 5,10 and 15thou plasticard. To try and prevent warping of the body the carcass was made in 15thou with several internal strengtheners. A sub-roof was made using multiple strips length-wise. The sliding doors were 10thou overlays while all the other detail was 5 thou. I could not of course replicate the small rivet detail which is seen on some of the strapping but I feel this lack of detail is not too obvious at normal viewing distance. Those clever souls who etch or 3D print parts would be able to make a much better job of it. Originally I planed to use a rolled brass roof, but it kept coming off, refusing to stick to the sub-roof, so a 10thou plasticard one was substituted. Sadly this has warped/sunk a bit and is why I was keen to use a brass one. Very annoying but which I feel I can do little about now without causing more damage than leaving alone.

Hi

When I do my rooves I put a piece of plasticard between the sides and the ends to leave a flat surface. Then build the support for the roof onto this using 1mm thick plasticard shaped to the roof profile. I then in fill down the centre of the wagon with more pieces of 1mm thick plasticard. The roof is then made from 0.25mm plasticard formed around a suitable round tube and covered with boiling water. So far none of the rooves made by these methods have warped.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus
Correct final sentence

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

When I do my rooves I put a piece of plasticard between the sides and the ends to leave a flat surface. Then build the support for the roof onto this using 1mm thick plasticard shaped to the roof profile. I then in fill down the centre of the wagon with more pieces of 1mm thick plasticard. The roof is then made from 0.25mm plasticard formed around a suitable round tube and covered with boiling water. So far none of the rooves made by these methods haven’t warped.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul I’ll give that a go next time. Basically I was using the method originally suggested by (IIRC) the late David Jenkinson for coach roofs. I’ve used it in the past in other scales okay, but rather slipped up by using too thin strips and then had no way of adding extra reinforcement when I realised the mistake. There’s always something that catches you out isn’t there!

Izzy

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely an improvement. Apart from being less dominating it also looks much more 'natural' and interesting. Helps to break up the 'solid' look of the original. Having some of the foliage hang down over the wall (brambles, wild rose etc.) will also help to break it up. 

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jim, it's helpful to get confirmation others also think it's better. It's taken me ages to tackle this aspect. There seems to a case that the more you get done and the less there is left to do that wrecking what is already there becomes ever more an aspect of nervous concern. Producing suitably toned down greenery is the next worry. So it doesn't equally overpower the scene.

Izzy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps consider making a hole in the top and a set of metal steps coming down to yard level? Good excuse to gather clutter around the bottom & would break up the line. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Tim, that is certainly something to consider. I have a few vehicles/trailers which are planned to be positioned parked along the wall and a few other ideas I'm mulling over. Just static grassed the top behind the capping and others areas and waiting to see how that pans out look wise, before adding some small lumps and bushes.

Izzy

Izzy that 309 looks astounding! Brings back memories for me too. I can remember them speeding through Romford and I'm sure there was a morning train that stopped at Romford then Liverpool St only that I'd get to London sometimes. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes Jim, that’s exactly what I ended up doing! I tried not to, drilling the bolts to take an internal wire because of space location issues through lack of foresight, but this proved not strong enough in the end and leading to all the hassle. You never stop learning do you. 

Izzy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Izzy that 309 looks astounding! Brings back memories for me too. I can remember them speeding through Romford and I'm sure there was a morning train that stopped at Romford then Liverpool St only that I'd get to London sometimes. 

Thanks, it does stir the old cells doesn’t it.

There were several limited stop runs each day including one each from both Clacton & Walton that ran separately to Liverpool St in the AM with the return working late PM.  Just stopped after Thorpe-le-spoken at Colchester, Chelmsford, & Shenfield. I can remember standing in the front of a connected unit gangway by the empty cab watching the speedo hit 90+ alongside the A12 at Hatfield Peverill and doing the ton down Brentwood bank. Just gliding along with hardly a vibration, just that swishing sound. Incredibly smooth ride with those commonwealth bogies. Meant to be the first of a new generation of 100mph EMU’s for BR, and especially the WCML. But then they changed minds and went with loco hauled instead. 

Izzy

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Thanks, it does stir the old cells doesn’t it.

There were several limited stop runs each day including one each from both Clacton & Walton that ran separately to Liverpool St in the AM with the return working late PM.  Just stopped after Thorpe-le-spoken at Colchester, Chelmsford, & Shenfield. I can remember standing in the front of a connected unit gangway by the empty cab watching the speedo hit 90+ alongside the A12 at Hatfield Peverill and doing the ton down Brentwood bank. Just gliding along with hardly a vibration, just that swishing sound. Incredibly smooth ride with those commonwealth bogies. Meant to be the first of a new generation of 100mph EMU’s for BR, and especially the WCML. But then they changed minds and went with loco hauled instead. 

Izzy

I missed out on the 309s. I went up to Essex university in October '94, not long after they'd gone.

Ironically, I'd occasionally glimpse one of the survivors round South Manchester when I was travelling home by train for holidays.

The layout really captures the atmosphere of St Botolph's as I remember it from the late 90s / early 00s, and evokes happy memories.

For me, the class 312s hold the fondest memories. When I was commuting into London from Wivenhoe, on the way home I'd try and time it so that I could catch the 12 car set at Liverpool Street that was diagrammed through to Clacton at that time. More often than not, I would sit in the dark on the fold-down seat inside the luggage cage in the brake coach. Nice and quiet so I could work on my PhD thesis until the battery of my laptop ran out...

• Like 3

Nice job. If you're doing more then it may save you time (and sanity) to know that I'll be making a parallel 2mm offering that gives you any EMU set number, matching side vehicle numbers, depot code and data panel already made up:

Here's what the 4mm looks like and the 2mm will be the same:

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2251

The set and vehicle numbers can be any colour, the vehicle numbers with/without prefix of choice, and where the set numbers are "quirky", c.f. 309s and 501s then I make them to suit too.

The white lining is already available.

Just thought it may be of interest as if I have resource to make modellers' lives easier then I will.

• Like 1