Capecastle - an NCC Narrow Gauge Diorama

Patrick Davey

Hello everyone, I haven't posted in this forum for a while due to being away from the scene - my last project was Ballynahinch Junction in OO gauge, thankfully now residing in the splendidly appropriate setting of the BCDR Royal Saloon at Downpatrick.  I've been planning a GNR-themed micro layout over the past few years, baseboards and track all acquired, so more of that to follow I hope.  In the meantime I decided to try and refresh the skills by building a diorama, and the result is Capecastle, seen here in the attached photos.  Am close to finishing this project and it will be displayed at the Whitehead Model Railway Day on November 9th.  Many thanks as always to Colm Flanagan for his encouragement!  Hope you all like the photos.  Many thanks, Patrick

IMG_1476.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

IMG_1483.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, pat141 said:

Very nice Patrick, lovely.

The pictures with the bus look so good, where did you get the trees? they are really nice. 

Thanks Pat, they are birch trees from the Faller range, one large and three small. I have seafoam trees ready to assemble too because that end of the diorama needs to be quite heavily wooded as there was a plantation above the tunnel. Thanks for the nice comments Pat, appreciated. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, pat141 said:

She's going to have a long wait for a train. :)

And if one does arrive she’s going to have to mind the big gap between the edge of the platform and the coaches.

That notwithstanding, it’s a marvellous diorama.

Cheers

Darius

45 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

And if one does arrive she’s going to have to mind the big gap between the edge of the platform and the coaches.

That notwithstanding, it’s a marvellous diorama.

Cheers

Darius

Yip well spotted - the platform and track are too far apart, could be fixed by major surgery to the platform edge so am contemplating that.....

6 hours ago, colmflanagan said:

Great to see you modelling an historical scene; now, when is the compound 2/4/2  going to arrive with the corridor coach train for Ballycastle?

Colm

Ha ha thanks Colm! Apparently Worsley Works do the corridor coach sides but as for the loco......em......if it wasn’t for the valve gear I’d have a go ok!! Loving your Ballycrochan Line btw!

45 minutes ago, tractionman said:

Love the atmosphere you've captured here.

I've been mulling over using 009 track but with stock and buildings etc in 3mm scale to recreate a 3-foot gauge scene (TTn3?), and you've given me inspiration here!

cheers,

Keith

Great to hear Keith! Good luck with the project! 

• Thanks 1