Videos from the Harz, August 2019

Jens Vesterdahl

Hello all.

I haven't posted here in a long time, but this summer I was on an eight day trackside vacation in the Harz, and I thought I'd show the videos I got.

Steam was cancelled in Selketal while I was there, so I stayed around the Harzquerbahn and Brockenbahn.

Enjoy,

Jens

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Jens for posting the videos, reminds me of my many visits to the HSB. Interesting to see on of the railcars on the back of a train right at the beginning of the video. Have not seen that before.

Got as far as Eisfelder Talmuhle this evening, looking forward to watching the rest of the trip tomorrow.

Keith

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tetsudofan said:

Interesting to see on of the railcars on the back of a train right at the beginning of the video. Have not seen that before.

It seemed to be a daily occurrence ... the last steam train out of Wernigerode had a railcar attached every day of my stay.

Jens

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/09/2019 at 22:56, Jens Vesterdahl said:

It seemed to be a daily occurrence ... the last steam train out of Wernigerode had a railcar attached every day of my stay.

Jens

It’s a timetabled ‘portion working’ on that last train. Splitting at Drei Annen Hohne, the railcar from the rear goes to Eisfelder Talmühle, after the rest has set off to the Brocken. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for this. Very relaxing and I am grateful for the memories of a time spent on this wonderful railway. I hope to go back some day but the tours to get there are very expensive for those of us on limited means!

I had heard that the railway was suffering but I hope these are temporary issues as it is inspritational.

Martin

• Thanks 1

I stayed in Wernigerode for a few days last week and even in late September, with slightly unpredictable weather* on the top, trains between Wernigerode and Brocken were pretty well loaded. Less so on the middle-of-the-day steam train down to Eisfelder Talmühle and back, where I had a coach to myself on the way north.

There was one diesel substitution for steam, advertised in advance on their website. Photos and vids to follow when I get a chance to do some editing.

*The kind of changing weather where you put it down as a literary experience, re-creating Goethe/Faust's swirling misty clouds and dark goings-on:

1028107001_Goethesspot.jpg.b27b5bc8be83ad1fc5f9428107287bf7.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Harz definitely on my bucket list.

Edit to add: Just looked at Google Map and see that Wernigerode is only about 120km from Hanover where Mrs P quite often goes to visit a friend. Flights to Hanover tend to be a bit dearer though. So may just fly in to Leipzig which, of course, has plenty of rail interest of its own.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
add

• RMweb Gold
On 27/09/2019 at 16:31, glo41f said:

Thank you for this. Very relaxing and I am grateful for the memories of a time spent on this wonderful railway. I hope to go back some day but the tours to get there are very expensive for those of us on limited means!

I had heard that the railway was suffering but I hope these are temporary issues as it is inspritational.

Martin

Why go on an organised tour? I agree that they are somewhat expensive.

Cheap flight and then locally-booked accommodation.

If I can go at the right time of year, I will take my tent. Anyone know of any lineside campsites?

22 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Anyone know of any lineside campsites?

None visible near the line on the 1:25000 walking map that I bought over there, and the key does include symbols for Campingplatz and Wohnmobilplatz (tent and campervan sites). The map covers Wernigerode to Brocken and Benneckenstein. Maybe try the tourist info - info@wernigerode-tourismus.de 

• RMweb Premium

I very rarely visit this part of the forum, so I've only found these wonderful videos this evening. Thanks for providing them, and I see from the credits at the end that you used good software. It was particularly great to see the old Selketalbahn railbus, the Mallet, and the "passing siding" on the Brocken.

Unfortunately, on the one occasion I visited the HSB (some time in summer 2002) the visibility at the top of the Brocken seemed less than in Oldddudders photo, and it was decidedly cold and damp in the cloud.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

We went back a year ago. On this occasion it was bright, clear, sunny - but distinctly breezy. The view was rather good, though, and you can imagine the strategic opportunities offered by such if you wanted to keep an eye on what the Wicked West was up to in the Cold War. 

IHD_0207.jpg.94aa4186c2034f6de8c7e76c8a790746.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 28/09/2019 at 18:37, Joseph_Pestell said:

If I can go at the right time of year, I will take my tent. Anyone know of any lineside campsites?

The only campsite I know of is just below Schierke, but it's not lineside … as in "line of sight".

It's a lovely location though, a great hiking area, and it's close to Drei Annen Hohne and of course Schierke.

Jens

Edited by Jens Vesterdahl
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
On 27/09/2019 at 17:31, glo41f said:

I just learned that the HSB has begun construction of a new steam engine workshop at Westerntor in Wernigerode. In addition to allowing the HSB to perform major overhauls in-house, eliminating the need to ship engines to Meiningen, the new shop will be accessible to the public, to the extent that Wernigerode will be given a tourist attraction. The new shops are expected to be operational in 2022.

More info on the HSB web site (in German), scroll down to October 4th post.

Jens

Edited by Jens Vesterdahl
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 3

There's another article about the workshop on this German newspaper site https://www.volksstimme.de/lokal/wernigerode/schmalspurbahnen-plan-fuer-lokwerkstatt-in-wernigerode-steht

including a map showing the location for the site, which I make about here on Google maps: https://goo.gl/maps/zddVE3DDVmAteeWM6

(the map on the newspaper site isn't oriented with North at the top)

• Thanks 1