This sub-forum is for the 2019 series and any individual entry topics. Content from the 2018 series can be found in the Challenges Archive.

GMRC Series 2 - Episode 1 - 'The Restless Earth'

• Moderators

Channel 5 - Friday 13th September - 8.00pm - 9.15pm

The Restless Earth

From Radio Times

"Television’s doomiest judges are back as the thoroughly good-natured competition returns. Steve Flint, editor of Railway Modeller magazine, and modelling expert Kathy Millatt take their duties with beetle-browed seriousness as they do their TV-judging thing, fretting if teams have enough time, if they’ve been too ambitious, and so on.

But they can’t spoil the fun, and you don’t have to be an enthusiast to enjoy the esprit de corps and expertise of the teams taking part in the first heat of the new series: Corby Model Railway Society, Fancott Miniature Marvels and The Train Set.

The latter is a bunch of biochemists whose day job is researching a cancer cure, but when the white coats come off they love to build model railways. They are, though, complete novices compared to their competitors.

The theme of the round is “the restless Earth”. Cue disaster!

SUMMARY

Talented teams are tasked to build awe-inspiring miniature wonderlands against the clock, loaded with stunning scenery and spectacular animations, all to a different weekly theme and designed to impress expert judges Steve Flint and Kathy Millatt. Here, the first of eight gruelling, themed rounds sees `The Restless Earth' brought to life. Three teams of enthusiasts set about manufacturing a deluge of volcanoes, earthquakes and other small-scale natural disasters. Presented by James Richardson and Tim Shaw.

CAST & CREW

Presenter James Richardson

Presenter Tim Shaw

Judge Steve Flint

Judge Kathy Millat

Director Bryher Williams"

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Radio Times says 8.00pm to 9.00pm in the printed edition, but the EPGs seem to have been updated recently to show the extra 15 minutes. Confusion as to starting date and length of show seems endemic on C5.

Edited by D9020 Nimbus
EPGs now corrected.

• RMweb Gold

I would just like to point out that the team from Corby was the “Corby Steelmen” and not Corby & District Model Railway Society.  Whilst it was made up four members of the club, two others were from other walks of life.

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Channel 5 - Friday 13th September - 8.00pm - 9.15pm

The Restless Earth

From Radio Times

"Television’s doomiest judges are back as the thoroughly good-natured competition returns. Steve Flint, editor of Railway Modeller magazine, and modelling expert Kathy Millatt take their duties with beetle-browed seriousness as they do their TV-judging thing, fretting if teams have enough time, if they’ve been too ambitious, and so on.

what XXXXX is that supposed to mean..

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

Yes, they do keep trying to push the 'Stern Steve' and 'Perfectionist Kathy' images for the judges. They really are not like that in real life (or are they?).

When they're judging the entries in a contest, everyone would expect them to have standards (and uphold them) - and to stay neutral.

However, this doesn't stop them being decent people - and easy to get on with.

All I know is that they both came across as fine when I spoke to them at last year's "Warley" show.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

Yes, they do keep trying to push the 'Stern Steve' and 'Perfectionist Kathy' images for the judges. They really are not like that in real life (or are they?).

No, they are quite normal.

Whatever 'normal' is............

Well, just finished watching episode 1.

First impressions: it's clearly got a bigger budget this time round, and they're also expecting a decent audience, judging by the amount of advertising that's been sold within it. Interesting to see Hornby have resurrected their TV advert, too. I like the ongoing scoring, but, of course, they still have to maintain suspense by allowing for later revisions! 

I thought all three of this episode's teams intepreted the theme well. But I did also think that it was maybe a bit too "spectacular" - the various special effects were too dominant, and detracted from the overall impression of each layout as a whole.  Maybe later episodes will allow a greater focus on more traditional modelling skills.

I'm pleased to say that I correctly picked the winner, which means that after one episode I'm 1-0 up against my children, who again watched it with me. But I can see why they chose their favourite.

So, on to next week. 

Edited by MarkSG
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I thought that the team of 'None railway modellers' (The train set) acquited themselves very well, the coastal scene in particular.

Yes, I thought their scenic modelling was excellent.  As Kathy Millatt said on screen, their resin water was top notch -  as good as you can expect to see on any exhibition quality layout. They clearly had done some effective research into the relevant techniques.

• Agree 5

9 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Each week, someone from the BRM team is going to write a quick synopsis of the show. This week it's my turn, and you can find the results here:

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm/reviews/others/the-great-model-railway-challenge-series-1-heat-1-the-restless-earth

I don't wish to be too critical, but a proof-reader's eye would not have gone amiss there...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

.......But I did also think that it was maybe a bit too "spectacular" - the various special effects were too dominant, and detracted from the overall impression of each layout as a whole.

In part I agree, although I'm sure the teams were under more pressure this series to make the animations more dramatic, just a shame the functionality of the railway itself suffered in some cases

That said I still thoroughly enjoyed it and I look forward to up coming  episodes 

I thought the Train Set team did particularly well achieving in a few days what most beginners take years to achieve so well done to them!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

I don't wish to be too critical, but a proof-reader's eye would not have gone amiss there...

It was my fault as I posted the link whilst it was still at draft stage.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Quite enjoyed that. Looks like C5 have embraced it well with the railway ident and related adverts. The new scoring system was good to help get a feel for the judges view on the progress. It's also good to see non-modellers wanting to get involved, The Train Set done really well. Last but not least, congrats to the winners!

• Agree 3