This sub-forum is for the 2019 series and any individual entry topics. Content from the 2018 series can be found in the Challenges Archive.

GMRC - The Peco Book

I hope that it was not thrown together in 75 (60?) minutes or however long with ready supplies of paper, staples, sticky-backed plastic and photographs... and with plenty of 'widows and orphans' and misplaced or incomplete paragraphs from when the editors and production crew kept interfering?

• Administrators

There is a limit to what they can say at this point in the series, but if they wait until everything is done and dusted, then no-one is likely to pick up a copy. As it is, I think it should appeal to those non-enthusiasts the series is aimed at who probably wouldn't pick up a normal model railway magazine, and then they get all the beginner info so they have a more informed idea what is going on on screen. 

• Like 2

I picked one up, shuddered at my photo and then read up on the other teams taking part. Interesting bunch, I think that KBG have done a decent job putting together a wide range of people to contest this series.

On 10/09/2019 at 17:37, Huw Griffiths said:

Probably just as well.

After all, some of us had been led to believe that judges were supposed to be "stern" ... .

Looks like they overdid the "seasonally reinforced" mince pies and coffee.....

• RMweb Premium

I have my copy now, might find time to read it over the weekend.

Flicked through the pictures and found Pete Thorpe smiling at me over the Royal Albert Bridge. We will be playing with this at The International N Gauge Show (TINGS) this weekend. Come and say "Hello".

46814740605_9ffdcbaba3_o.jpg.f0ef7f54335246fbb9cb1d0fe451dffb.jpg

Edited by Ian Morgan
re-loaded image
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I was in WH Smith today with the intention of buying a copy but after flipping through it, I thought thin, flimsy and just a plug about Peco and the show.  I thought there would be more about the teams rather than a picture and a brief comment.  It remains on the shelf.

I dropped into Smiffs earlier today to see if I could get had a copy. I expected it would be with the magazines, since I'm assuming it's essentially a magazine style publication. But there was no sign of it, and there wasn't anywhere else in the shop that looked like it might have it.  Ditto in the mag section of Tesco, when I did the weekly shop later. And it's not on Amazon. So, looks like I won't be buying one after all.

• RMweb Gold

It was in my local W H Smith's earlier this week, with the model railway magazines.

Perhaps my local branch is better than some others, there are usually around 40 different railway and model railway magazines and bookazines on display, including some from the USA.  I think the largest number of different magazine type publications on railways I've seen at any one time in the shop was 46.  Then you have to add to that the WHSmith own brand railway bookazines and DVD offers.

David

On 11/09/2019 at 21:28, whart57 said:

I picked one up, shuddered at my photo and then read up on the other teams taking part. Interesting bunch, I think that KBG have done a decent job putting together a wide range of people to contest this series.

But did they get your name right?

Edited by andyram