H & M Clipper help required

Emmo

The first car I drove reguarly after passing my test was a 1967 DAF Daffodil (predecessor to the 33). It had 6V electrics which, after 18 years of neglect and corrosion, meant an actual 3V or thereabouts if put under any load. My diet became much more carrot-rich at around that time, and stood me in good stead for a later motorcycling career, as 6V hung on much longer in the 2-wheeled world. I'd hesitate to say when it finally died out, but many early 80s utility bikes from both Japan and Eastern Europe still only had 3 cells in their batteries.

The uncertainty in the end date of 6V VWs probably stems from the fact that different markets got 12V in different years. UK market Beetles got a major facelift, including different body pressings, updated front suspension and brakes, hubs and electrics for the 1968 model year. Australia and possibly other markets had to wait a bit longer IIRC.

I suspect that one reason for not using 6V electrics on aircraft has more to do with the extra copper required to carry the necessary large currents. Copper is heavy. Most of the time a bit extra won't be noticed in a car, but in an aircraft it can be significant.

On the carrot front are you aware that this was 'fake news' (called propaganda or disinformation in those days) to fool the Germans into thinking that our night bombing accuracy was down to the pilots being able to see better in the dark due to eating carrots? This was to hide the fact that we had a superior bomb aiming sight and keeping that a secret.

There is tiny bit of truth in that eating carrots can improve night vision for some medical conditions (however you would have to eat an awful lot), but not for a normal healthy individual :)

Now what has this do do with an H&M Clipper ...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, PatB said:

I suspect that one reason for not using 6V electrics on aircraft has more to do with the extra copper required to carry the necessary large currents. Copper is heavy. Most of the time a bit extra won't be noticed in a car, but in an aircraft it can be significant.

Hi Pat

That's a good point particularly when you start using electric starters but I was more curious about why 24V wasn't more widely used in luight aircraft. Possibly the additional weight of twelve rather than six cell batteries could also be a factor in smaller aircraft but, even with far stricter product licencing,  it would maybe have allowed light aircraft manufacturers to use technology developed for the automotive industry (though cars stopped using magnetos aeons ago)  

Something to do with vitamin A I believe!

Later* Dublo Controllers had 'Normal' and 'Reverse' as well. Only correct for 3 rail or stud contact DC electrification of course. 2 rail DC requires 'Left' and 'Right' or 'Clockwise' and 'Anticlockwise' and with AC it's pot luck.

* The black box has 'Forward' and 'Backward'.

10 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

It would appear the the Beetle switched to 12V sometime between 1964 and  1968, but I couldn't find a definite date.

I can give you a definitive date. It was the 68 model year in the UK. I know this because my dad bought one and 12 volt electrics was one of the reasons for buying it. Another reason was trailing arm rear suspension but that's another story.

8 hours ago, melmerby said:

Ah! to try and cure the changing ends syndrome:jester:

A over T was the greater problem. Unfortunately the trailing arm suspension was only available in the 68 semi-automatic. Dad liked that version because mum couldn't burn out the clutch.