Fenwick Pit: a North East Colliery in 2mm

Geordie Exile

2 hours ago, 1whitemoor said:

This is looking brilliant, what era is it going to be set in? 

Paul A. 

Thanks, Paul. I'm aiming for 1965-1973, but still need to do some research. I want steam in there (of course I do!). The 1973 date is set in stone, as that's when the pit was closed, exactly 100 years after the first shaft was sunk.

I've a bunch of plans for the buildings that survived the first wave of demolition (baths, office, turbine house, storage sheds) but very few contemporaneous pics of those buildings. They'll increase the footprint significantly, but now I've got this far...

Richard

• Like 1

On 25/09/2019 at 21:51, Mark Saunders said:

Are you going to build any of the signature wagons?

Backworth 15 ton hopper.jpg

Sorry Richard,

I hope you don't think I am hijacking ur thread, but can anyone direct me toward a drawing of the wagon above, or tell me the wheel base? Many thanks.

Ian B

3 hours ago, ianblenk said:

Sorry Richard,

I hope you don't think I am hijacking ur thread, but can anyone direct me toward a drawing of the wagon above, or tell me the wheel base? Many thanks.

Ian B

Feel free, Ian. I'll eventually be asking the same question, and the responses from the fine folk of RMW are already turning into an archive for future use when I get to the rolling stock stage.

R.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Richard,

Congratulations! I'm sure you won't regret it. Just take your time and enjoy the journey. Your buildings deserve the quality of track work and running that 2FS will bring.

Best wishes,

Geraint 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Welcome to the Association who are very nice and helpful people,  given your time period a Bogie Diesel  may be suitable in which case the drop in wheel conversions  will get some working motive power up and running in minutes

Nick B

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

Welcome to the Association who are very nice and helpful people,  given your time period a Bogie Diesel  may be suitable in which case the drop in wheel conversions  will get some working motive power up and running in minutes

Nick B

Aye, and I've already got 12cm of Easitrac to run it on!

• 2 weeks later...

I've not done much in the last couple of weeks, except:

- Played with my new airbrush, so my single 2mmFS wagon is now painted. I messed about trying to mix NCB red from tubes of acrylic, and gave up. I've therefore gone with Nondescript Manky (from the Farrow & Ball range ;)). 

- Added guttering, downpipes and the huge stove pipe to the winder house. No one will be able to see that I've scrawked out 1mm half rod so the gutter is u-shaped rather than semicircular, but I know it's done!

20200628_132514.jpg

20200628_132538.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, BoD said:

I have just caught up with your topic.

Superb modelling.

Thanks, BoD.  Nice work on your West Highland stuff too (may I offer "Nether Crianlarich" as an option?).  I have gone through the agonies of spotting errors post-build as well!

4 hours ago, Geordie Exile said:

I've not done much in the last couple of weeks, except:

- Played with my new airbrush, so my single 2mmFS wagon is now painted. I messed about trying to mix NCB red from tubes of acrylic, and gave up. I've therefore gone with Nondescript Manky (from the Farrow & Ball range ;)). 

- Added guttering, downpipes and the huge stove pipe to the winder house. No one will be able to see that I've scrawked out 1mm half rod so the gutter is u-shaped rather than semicircular, but I know it's done!

20200628_132514.jpg

20200628_132538.jpg

For my NCB Hudson tippers I went with Precision BR Railfreight red (dulll). Once given a light blast of grime this gave a good impression of the wagons as I remember them.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, doilum said:

For my NCB Hudson tippers I went with Precision BR Railfreight red (dulll). Once given a light blast of grime this gave a good impression of the wagons as I remember them.

Thanks, Doilum, I'll look it out.  I may well re-paint this practice wagon anyway, and I need to order some NCB transfers.

• RMweb Gold
On 28/06/2020 at 18:00, Geordie Exile said:

Thanks, BoD.  Nice work on your West Highland stuff too (may I offer "Nether Crianlarich" as an option?).  I have gone through the agonies of spotting errors post-build as well!

Thanks. I'll add that to the list of things to consider although current thought is something entirely fictitious - but that is not for your thread.

I had a look at the winding house on street view.  You would think they had copied your model.  Seriously, any idea why it is still standing? Is it listed? 

3 hours ago, BoD said:

Seriously, any idea why it is still standing? Is it listed? 

The heapstead, picking belts, screens, washery, and that enormous building at the back of all of these (the purpose of which I still haven't worked out) were all demolished pretty soon after the pit closed.  The winding house, boiler room, offices, baths and stores remained until the site was earmarked for development, at which point everything was razed apart from the winding house.  It's the only one on that latter list that had any architectural value, but it isn't actually listed.  The current plans are for an 'executive housing development', with the winding house as a centre-piece, although I'm not clear what they're thinking of doing with it.

Thanks for the compliment, by the way!

R

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Given how this failed pit ended anything  is was possible 

https://www.thewindinghouseweddings.com/gallery

at one time was listed for sale with a internal swimming pool

I suspect the present situation may put pay to many developments

As to your models nice buildings and painting

Nick B

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Thanks 1

On 28/06/2020 at 19:00, Geordie Exile said:

Thanks, Doilum, I'll look it out.  I may well re-paint this practice wagon anyway, and I need to order some NCB transfers.

Whilst looking for austerities I browsed Adrian Booth's " Industrial Railways in Colour".  This shows the wooden north eastern internal wagons in a darker crimson red. Some experiments with a dull BR crimson and a touch of white might be a good starting point. Interestingly, when numbers of the Hudson tippers were transferred (from Londonderry?,) to Peckfield and Allerton Bywater, the red was the same as the local wagons. They retained their distinctive markings to the end.

Edited by doilum
Predictive text error
  • Like 1

The Vallejo ModelAir Red (specifically, this shade: 71.269) looks pretty close.  I'd rather not mix, as that means I'd have to store unused mixed paint separately, and be able to replicate it (close to) exactly when I run out.  Has anyone else had any success in replicating the NCB Wagon Red?

2 hours ago, Geordie Exile said:

The Vallejo ModelAir Red (specifically, this shade: 71.269) looks pretty close.  I'd rather not mix, as that means I'd have to store unused mixed paint separately, and be able to replicate it (close to) exactly when I run out.  Has anyone else had any success in replicating the NCB Wagon Red?

My point was that perhaps there wasn't an official NCB red. The wooden wagons seem to be a very different colour to the steel ones.

The crimson on the wooden wagons also reminds me of the pre grouping NE livery. I understand the preference for a ready to use paint . Achieving your own consistency is what matters.

• Agree 1

Be careful of matching colours to old photos, particularly ones that have been reproduced in books. Kodachrome loves red, it always comes out very vibrant. So if the original image was taken on Kodachrome slides it will look brighter than it was. Similarly book printing is usually done by layering colours, each layer can be adjusted by the printer, often to produce an attractive image, rather than an accurate one. Finally, there probably wasn't one colour used throughout the NCB system. I suspect that the various collieries would paint the wagons themselves with locally sourced paint. Even if it was all called "Oxide Red" or whatever there would be variations. 

If I were you I would pick a red oxide paint, paint everything with it, then weather individual wagons to add variation to the colour. I'd be inclined to start with Halford's red primer. spray it lightly to not obscure the detail, then weather. Or use some other red oxide paint.

• Informative/Useful 1

I hadn't thought of the photographic process enhancing the colour. Although I've got umpteen different image sources, they're all taken very late 60s and early 70s, so it's possible (probable? likely?) they've been through a similar production process.  Red oxide it is!

To further complicate things, even modern cameras aren't free from colour distortion. All digital cameras do some software interpretation. They have to, that's how they work, but some do more than others. Stand alone cameras are pretty reliable, but a lot of smartphones are programmed to produce pictures that look good, rather than are 100% accurate. iPhones and Google Pixels do the least, with some of the cheaper android phones doing the most. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
On 02/07/2020 at 21:25, Geordie Exile said:

I hadn't thought of the photographic process enhancing the colour. Although I've got umpteen different image sources, they're all taken very late 60s and early 70s, so it's possible (probable? likely?) they've been through a similar production process.  Red oxide it is!

Funnily enough there's a very relevant case in point here 

A very bright red wagon, but its attached to a very green looking number 9

• Like 1

On 02/07/2020 at 21:25, Geordie Exile said:

But not if it looks like bauxite. From memory, whilst the vast majority of Yorkshire internal wagons were black, there were some steel 16 and 21 tonners in the kind of red that only Triang could have mixed. I have a feeling that these had been rehomed from the Durham pits as they closed.

• Like 1