Fenwick Pit: a North East Colliery in 2mm

Geordie Exile

9 minutes ago, Trewisin said:

Morning Richard. You have been busy this week,Yes they do look great I think you may have got something there.

Can i have a set of sheaves as well as about 10 wagons when you go into production. If the hand rails come on the etch that 

will be a bonus.I hadnt realised that you  were going into a fell production run ,i thought it was supposed to be just  a tesr run.

I also like what Caley Jim said .Ray.

Hi Ray

I'll message you once I'm happy that the next test etch works (which I haven't sent yet, because I haven't drawn it yet!)

R

22 hours ago, Geordie Exile said:

As part of the hopper test etch, I added some sheaves and walkways to enhance (I hoped) the heapstead.  The previous sheaves were 3D-printed from Shapeways which were certainly finer than anything I could manage, but the etched versions are much more delicate again. The spindle needs a lick of paint, and I'll add some spacers between the sheaves:

image.png.837fcf5dfd1b57317b5cdb36d4abe93c.png

I also etched some safety rails for the steps up to the sheaves, and a ladder and roof walkway to access those steps.  Possible the most delicate thing I've ever had to solder, and I'm now terrified that I'll squish them, but they've come out quite nicely:

image.png.6e11115bf4edf206a7aec6e24d1a5af1.png

image.png.32b3bba4c59b31d6958108efccd06ced.png

...and once again the close-up shows the worst as well as the best!  A squirt of matt varnish should take the shine off that rendered wall.

Richard

Just realised I haven't put up any pics of the painted wagon. Can't say I'm a massive fan of the asymmetric lettering, but it's prototypical so who am I to argue?

20210406_095520.jpg

20210406_095436.jpg

Lots of the wagons also have "Backworth Collieries" on their sides. I don't think I'll attempt to replicate that!

Edited by Geordie Exile
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

And no doubt I'll have posted this view of Fenwick before, but it does show how busy the site was.  A fairly eclectic mix of wagons, but the majority are the Chas Roberts 15 tonners, which is why I couldn't leave them out!

image.png.0da183f6c3dd9e95d3aa2e22560913ae.png

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Richard. It must be a day of modelling today. FANTASTIC  what else can i say The photo s do you proud. Yes the wagons had F.C onthe sides prior to Nationalisation as also B.C. for Backworth.and on release from RCH they had the special livery of BACKWORTH COLLERIES IN full painted on their sides I think that the numbering was in 1400's??.

Ray.

4 hours ago, Trewisin said:

I think that the numbering was in 1400's??.

The two in the bottom left corner appear to be 1174 and 1220.  Others that are legible are in the 14xx range.

Jim

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Trewisin said:

Hi Richard. It must be a day of modelling today. FANTASTIC  what else can i say The photo s do you proud. Yes the wagons had F.C onthe sides prior to Nationalisation as also B.C. for Backworth.and on release from RCH they had the special livery of BACKWORTH COLLERIES IN full painted on their sides I think that the numbering was in 1400's??.

Ray.

They were originally numbered 1400-1600 according to Elliott & Charlton, but the three I can make out in the photo above say "1174", "1226" & "1527".  The two photos I've seen of them in original Backworth livery show "1101" & "1417" so it could be - dare I suggest it - that E&C are mistaken!  I've just gone for a 4-digit number, to be honest.  

And as you can see from the picture, some but not all have "Backworth Colliery" (Not "Collieries", my mistake), some but not all have a tare, and all have "Internal Use Only".  Take your pick!

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, DavidBird said:

For those of you that have FB...

This from Aviemore Engine Shed has a few photos of the ongoing restortation of Strathspey No 9, RSH Austerity 0-6-0 Works no 7097, formerly of Backworth Colliery

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=944938852997535&id=417847319040027

Cheers, David.  It's quite sad to see her in bits like that, especially the rusting hulk outdoors, but at least she's getting some attention.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, DavidBird said:

Backworth No 9, as seen at Aviemore 7th May 2021. My photo.

It's in the queue for restoration, behind 5025 and 46464.

Do you want to borrow a 2mmSA quartering tool?  And I understand there's a pretty good detailing etch available too :jester:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Trewisin said:

Hi Richard ,hows things going all seems quiet on the Western Front. Or should i say Fenwick.

Regards Ray. 

Hi Ray

Progress has stuttered to a halt as real life intervenes. I've now got plenty of wagons, enough buildings to form the core of the colliery element of the layout, and a couple of turnouts built, but I'm at the stage where I have to draw everything together and actually make some decisions. Specifically: track plan, turnout operation, baseboard construction and overall layout 'geography'. I've also got to make the amendments to the RCH hopper, and I think I've decided to redo the coal processing plant (the tall 'office-block' building) after finding a side view that shows I've got the dimensions all wrong. It's a frustration after the hours spent building the first one.

So, lots of stuff to make decisions on, and I'm happy to let my subconscious mull them over while the rest of me gets on with 12-inches-to-the-foot stuff!

Richard

• Like 1

This is the 15.4m of 2x1 that I bought to start framing up a baseboard...

20210625_141546.jpg

This is what I used it for...

20210625_151218.jpg

And these are the red deer that were watching me do it!

20210625_155848.jpg

No wonder I'm not making any progress. 

Edited by Geordie Exile
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 20/06/2021 at 09:36, Geordie Exile said:

I think I've decided to redo the coal processing plant (the tall 'office-block' building) after finding a side view that shows I've got the dimensions all wrong. It's a frustration after the hours spent building the first one.

Richard,

As someone once said: "Perfection is the enemy of progress".

I would crack on with some of the bigger stuff, make some meaningful progress and not let this become a distraction.  Its too easy to sweat the small stuff.  You can still use the building you have in hand and redo it later - at least you will have some return on your investment.

Don't ask me how I know this!

Steve

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Richard, So thats where the signalmans cabin went to from the Backworth road crossing .Hope its now water tight ,when you

said you lived in the outer Isles I thought you were joking what with your own deer farm as well not bad . now that your shed is repaired perhaps you can get back to Fenwick. Unless there other chores to distract you .

Best regards Ray.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Richard, hows it going I had a look at Google Earth the other day to see what was left of Backworth and Fenwick Pits.

Not a lot as Paul Daniels would say. I could make out the base lines of Maude pit winding House the Entrance gateway, the Blacksmiths shop and the General office building. The Pit baths and the Hotspur brick works were flat and reland scaped.

You could just make out the junction for the railway line at Backworth Road/Shiremoore crossing where the line heads towards Fenwick and Earsden. Earsden nothing could be seen completely reland scaped, As for Fenwick just a few foundations and one building ? im not shure what it was.

Regards Ray.

On 17/07/2021 at 12:04, Trewisin said:

Hi Richard, hows it going I had a look at Google Earth the other day to see what was left of Backworth and Fenwick Pits.

Not a lot as Paul Daniels would say. I could make out the base lines of Maude pit winding House the Entrance gateway, the Blacksmiths shop and the General office building. The Pit baths and the Hotspur brick works were flat and reland scaped.

You could just make out the junction for the railway line at Backworth Road/Shiremoore crossing where the line heads towards Fenwick and Earsden. Earsden nothing could be seen completely reland scaped, As for Fenwick just a few foundations and one building ? im not shure what it was.

Regards Ray.

Hi Ray.  The last remaining building is the winding house (or winder house, depends who you ask!).  It forms the central feature of an 'executive development' that's in the pipeline.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Richard  , just had a look at the Austerity Blog about Engine No9  posted by David Bird. The work in progress looks very good

it will be nice to se her back in steam .(It brings back memories.) I wouldnt be suprised if my Grandfather did some work  on that 

loco as he was one of the smithies at Backworth pit until his retirement. I might have even riden on the footplate as well.

Hows Fenwick coming along ?.  Still in the process of rebulding the sorting house.

Look forward to hearing  your progress.

Regards Ray. (another Geordie in exile).

• 1 month later...

Hi Richard, i hope all is well as we have not heard from you for a while.

Have you gone into hibernation up there in the far isles of Scotland or are you back to work in the normal sence as the pandemic restrictions are lifting. Look forward to hearing some moe on Fenwick soon . All the best regards Ray.

On 26/09/2021 at 10:53, Trewisin said:

Hi Richard, i hope all is well as we have not heard from you for a while.

Have you gone into hibernation up there in the far isles of Scotland or are you back to work in the normal sence as the pandemic restrictions are lifting. Look forward to hearing some moe on Fenwick soon . All the best regards Ray.

Hi Ray

I'm afraid the demands of the 12-inches-to-the-foot life have got in the way over the summer.  Things should quieten down soon (not much crofting gets done in the dark) so I'm hoping to get back into the 2mm-to-the-foot stuff soon!

Richard

• Friendly/supportive 4