Models of Continental Pacifics

sncf231e

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fred, that's an impressive collection of Pacifics you have, I'm more than a little envious. There are three in particular I have a connection with. 

The first is the JNR C54, as I'm modelling the JNR during the late Showa period, when steam was on the way out. I wouldn't call them a failure. They were simply overtaken by improvements in technology and changes in policy. They were a development of the earlier C51 4-6-2s, intended to improve their route availability and ease of maintenance. But after the initial batch was built in 1932, the decision was made to start with a clean-sheet design, which became the C55 class. Withdrawals didn't start until the late 1950s, and the last two engines in service were withdrawn in 1963.

The second is the JNR C55s, a type I'm very fond of. They were the first JNR standard engines to incorporate features based on US practice of the time such as bar frames, one piece cylinder/saddle castings, firebox combustion chamber, self-adjusting driving box wedges, radial buffers and the like. They were fast, free steaming and popular with their crews. I might point out that there were 21 streamlined engines, C55 20 to C55 40. In later years when the tinware came off they could be identified by their enclosed cabs with a higher roof than the other engines in the class.

The third is the NSWGR 38 class. But I'll save that for later.

All the best,

Mark.

Edited by dullsteamer
  • Informative/Useful 1