Flock or static

Andymsa

Hi all,

i made my first foray into static grass and for a first attempt I’m quite pleased. But having a lot of flock grass left I would still like to use it my remaining stocks. The question is when using static grass, what would the maximum distance when observed from a specific point before any benefits are lost, or put another way when you look at a hill from far away you can’t see each blade of grass all you see is the different shades of green.

andy

Sorry if this seems obvious, but I think experiment is the key. Take strips of cardboard and construct trial scenery on them; you can move the strip about to see how it looks at various distances. Try different blends of static grass, or combinations with other materials.

This way, you can throw out the failures.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I also use a mixture of static grass and flock.

I normally start with a layer of 2mm and 1mm static grass mixed:

grindleford-scenery031.jpg.a79066490fac6ba52a499b092171203e.jpg

Then I add a mixed flock over the top:

grindleford-scenery036.jpg.fd9cf05c4a7d640d28775ba60f68c4c2.jpg

I find it works from most viewing distances, and avoids the trimmed lawn look of static grass on its own.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is nearly all static grass layers (with a couple of bits of seafoam added) topped off with fine ground foam from the 'Model Tree Shop' which is much finer than the 'Greenscene' stuff.

Adding fine ground foam brings static grass to life. Photo taken before cleaning up was done!

20190913_165022.jpg.218634e51691f430e7b18d2a0550cd53.jpg

This is again is layered static grass fibres topped of with fine ground foam. The darker bit behind was some seafoam with static grass and ground foam added. It was started with 2mm fibres, then 4mm then some more 2mm in a lighter shade before finishing with the fine ground foam. This was all built up on a base of hanging basket liner.

20190630_153643a.jpg.40c240c44a05808c9d15e468784d63fe.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff, John. Really looks the part. 

I'm very much in the static grass camp. The ease of application and the ability to vary the effect win hands down. Once the basic cover is there the flocks and other bits and bobs can be added in. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I generally use statci grass... Since I model the highlands the trimmed grass look is correct.. those sheep are highly effective lawn mowers.. However I'm about to try some flock as well in a few spots for some variation.. Though I do mix grass colours and try to get darker in the hollows and lighter on the highs..

• Agree 1