Email from Hornby

Ouroborus

A VERY CONVINCING email seems to be doing the rounds from Hornby asking you to confirm that you're happy to receive emails from them (a la GDPR).   Pretty sure its not legit as its coming from a dotmailer-email.com web address.  It made it through my spam filter and it seems to have hooked a number of other people on other forums

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I  had it too, and as I always do with unexpected mails, just hovered over the links to see where they might lead. Not one of them had anything to do with Hornby, so moved it to my spam folder.

What's concerning me, assuming it's been targeted at railway modellers, is how whoever it is that sent it apparently knows that I have an interest.

The question was asked of the Hornby forum Admin and he confirmed it was from them, hence kosher.

Sent apparently to folk who had an account with Hornby but were not subscribed to their newsletters.

Unfortunately I have binned and deleted the response, so cannot reproduce it here, but if you are worried forward it to their Admin for review. Email address on the said forum.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Maybe someone who knows the Administrator should tell him to take more care when sending out e-mails, both more explanation and an obvious "Hornby" e-mail address.

Agreed. But, then again, as a Nationwide customer I regularly get emails not from xxx@nationwide.co.uk, but from xxx@nationwide-communications.co.uk.

That screams phishing to me, but apparently they're legit.

If any company were wise to the concerns over phishing, you'd think that it'd be in the financial services sector. Go figure! :huh:

Edited by truffy

21 minutes ago, truffy said:

Agreed. But, then again, as a Nationwide customer I regularly get emails not from xxx@nationwide.co.uk, but from xxx@nationwide-communications.co.uk.

That screams phishing to me, but apparently they're legit.

If any company were wise to the concerns over phishing, you'd think that it'd be in the financial services sector. Go figure! :huh:

To be honest if I got an email from someone with xxx in it I would think it contains "adult" material.  :girldevil:

Jason

• Agree 1

Deleted the email, but the link to the Hornby website started with something like "dmkt...." which I guess is shorthand for "direct marketing". But I don't recall the word Hornby appearing anywhere in the link.

Given that most peolple are wise to potential phishing emails, I imagine they may have just wasted a large amount of their effort.

Have since looked on the Hornby Community forum but don't see any mention of it.