Layout legs

davidw

Any Idea how tall they were?

Available in many adjustable sizes a Google for "builder trestles" will bring many suppliers - perhaps some local.

They are an excellent and very stable way of supporting a layout, easy to assemble and adjust.

Not the cheapest solution to layout support but possibly the most reliable and certainly most durable.

Mine were from Wickes and were bought at the time of an Aldi deal when I checked and found that they were cheaper than the Aldi offering.

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't find the Aldi ones around either when I was looking so I bought mine online from Wickes and you get free delivery over £45.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/167430

Cheers

Tim

The Wickes and Aldi ones are the same size too, between a few mates and our MRC we have a mixture of around 15 from both suppliers and they can be mixed easily.

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Premium

I use slotted steel of a brand similar to Dexion. It comes in ready-cut lengths with self-assembly nut-and-bolt packs from the local hardware store and is ridiculously easy to assemble. It's also not unduly expensive and if needs be it can be cut at home to fit awkward spots using a metal-cutting blade and lubricant with a slow-speed setting on the jig saw.

It's quick to put up (and to take down if you need to), more durable than wood, doesn't require painting or priming (though you can paint it if you wish) and the slots make ideal fixing points for screws to secure your layout.

For the shed / loft / outside modellers among us it is also vermin and rot-proof and for the indoor brigade it stands up to cat and dog claws much better than wood!

Archived