Grime Lane, an FCS/MSW layout.

Red Devil

A what? Well I suppose the other heading could be when does a test track become a layout?

I do have an ongoing build of something a bit more involved, but one of my main interests at the moment is producing Faller Car system vehicles, I tend to do this my own way using some Faller parts rather than converted chassis so wanted a test track to test them on, the other project involves 'Woodhead Electrics' too, so half way through building the baseboard for the twin circuit FCS test track I decided to add some scenery and a bit of railway to test build the 1500v style overhead....

So what started as a basic test track has somewhat changed to a small funtioning layout, or will be when I get my finger out with it and stop building Faller vehicles of which there are about 25 plus in various stages of completeness....

Anyway a pic to give an idea, the twin circuits of FCS will feature automatic holding sidings to the rear of low relief factories, hopefully with automatic operation (reed switch/magnets breaking FCS stop magnets)

The railway section is very simple a double track line on embankment to two train tables off stage.... 

IMG_20190909_165812533.jpg

• Like 10

8 hours ago, LBRJ said:

I am impressed already.

I immediately though Neepsend / Harvest Lane sort of area on seeing the picture :)

Yep, that's sorta where I'm basing it, very much ficticious but trying to get the 'idea of'.

Anyway a few of the FCS fleet, there's quite a few more too....

Edited by Red Devil
add pics
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress, embankments have started to be formed, a bit of greenery has sprouted, as has a bit of brickwork.....

The 'duck under' roadbridge is beginning to take shape and a single deck Crossley poses there......

IMG_20191002_202527225_HDR.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

One item I really did want for Grime Lane was an ex GC signal box, I initially thought it was going to be a scratch build job however I spotted this 7mm laser cut version from Rail Model and Andy there very kindly and promptly did a resize and test build....

A 4mm version is winging its way to me soon....

7mm version pic....

So anyone wanting a 4mm GC box...... https://railmodel.co.uk/collections/00-gauge-4mm/products/gc-killamarsh

KILL35_1024x1024@2x.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Rail Model box arrived, really enjoying the build on this one....

Progress so far, long way to go but fit of parts has been spot on so far. Roof is removable and I think it's begging for a detailed interior....the kit includes planked interior wall sections so it'd be daft not to.

IMG_20191111_212258178_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Not a huge amount happening, work, injured back and fitting a new kitchen sorta getting in the way....

Odd hour here and there gives a few easy wins like finishing some of the many part built FCS vehicles like this Yorkshire Traction PS2 Windover coach  shown here having a test run....

• 6 months later...
On 12/09/2019 at 00:05, LBRJ said:

I am impressed already.

I immediately though Neepsend / Harvest Lane sort of area on seeing the picture :)

this is absolutely fascinating, my first impression was Meadowhall Road junction with Weedon Street.