Somerset and Dorset in the 1980s

Hi all,

I have a S&D layout that has trains that cover 1900ish to 1966 at closure. I would like to run a train as if the line was still operating in the late 1980s. I presume it would be a DMU or diesel loco. I would be interested in RTR models that you folk might think are suitable. Odd question maybe but i would like to know what people think, i am talking about between Templecombe and Bournemouth West.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A lot would depend on how BR would have decided to operate it - you can probably justify almost anything. For example, it could have used 33s with Mark 1s or 4TC, if Southern Region was supplying the stock for trains through to Bath/Bristol, with 2H or 3H DEMUs on short workings.

If the Western Region were supplying the stock for the through trains then they might use 31s or 37s. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Firstly anything of the length of a Mark 3 might have trouble with some of the tunnels on the line, so keep to older, shorter stock. Late 80s and I think 150s might be the DMU to be doing most local services. Early to mid 80s I think something similar to the Portsmouth - Bristol/Cardiff stock, so Mark 1s with 33/0s. Inter-regionals might make an appearance, but less frequently than when running during steam days. Don't forget they'd been axed by BR(W) before closure.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, down the sdjr said:

Maybe. The 158 is of Mark 3 length, but it's profiled differently to Mark 3s. I wouldn't like to say if it could comfortably make it through the tunnels or not, as they were. You could of course speculate that the tunnels were reworked to allow such carriages if they proved to be a problem :)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Maybe. The 158 is of Mark 3 length, but it's profiled differently to Mark 3s. I wouldn't like to say if it could comfortably make it through the tunnels or not, as they were. You could of course speculate that the tunnels were reworked to allow such carriages if they proved to be a problem :)

Thanks Ian,

1 last question if i may, do you think regional railways livery would be suitable? I know they ran to Bristol Temple Meads. I model the section from Templecombe to Broadstone so no tunnels on that part of the route to worry about.

Paul.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, down the sdjr said:

Thanks Ian,

1 last question if i may, do you think regional railways livery would be suitable? I know they ran to Bristol Temple Meads. I model the section from Templecombe to Broadstone so no tunnels on that part of the route to worry about.

Paul.

If I were modelling that location and era, then the Regional Railways or Provincial livery would be my guess. As for modelling a part of the line without the tunnels, remember that, in real life, your trains come from somewhere and go to somewhere. In the case of the Somerset and Dorset that's mainly between Bournemouth West and Bath Green Park, and there are tunnels in the extension section between Evercreech and Bath. So, they'd still have to negotiate those earlier/later in their journeys. Local services that only travel the DCR section would be less common in the 1980s.

Edited by Ian J.
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, russ p said:

158s technically are 90s

Ah, see i told you i knew nothing about diesels. I had a look at the Hornby 155 class that you mentioned. So i should be looking at a 155 or 150? My layout is a out and back single dumbell type so a multiple unit would be nice to save having to run around.

4 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

If I were modelling that location and era, then the Regional Railways or Provincial livery would be my guess. As for modelling a part of the line without the tunnels, remember that, in real life, your trains come from somewhere and go to somewhere. In the case of the Somerset and Dorset that's mainly between Bournemouth West and Bath Green Park, and there are tunnels in the extension section between Evercreech and Bath. So, they'd still have to negotiate those earlier/later in their journeys. Local services that only travel the DCR section would be less common in the 1980s.

Thank you Ian, its pointing towards the 150 as you said yesterday then, regional livery?

Thanks for the input everyone.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, down the sdjr said:

Thank you Ian, its pointing towards the 150 as you said yesterday then, regional livery?

Thanks for the input everyone.

Probably more likely with the Sprinter branding:

800px-19880218-Preston-150247.jpg

(image on wikimedia commons)

Edited by Ian J.
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

At the start of the 1980s you'd still have first generation DMUs exclusively.

The original post specifically mentioned late 80s, but for early 80s I'd say the likes of 101s, or 117s, or such like, probably in Blue/Grey.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

45 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

The original post specifically mentioned late 80s, but for early 80s I'd say the likes of 101s, or 117s, or such like, probably in Blue/Grey.

I used to work at Shillingstone station in 1986- 1988 and wanted to run a train on my layout that might have taken me to work if the railway still operated.

Ian, do you think this is about as close as i could get?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/484655/bachmann_branchline_32_928_po07_class_150_1_2_car_dmu_150150_in_br_regional_railways_sprinter_livery_weathered_/stockdetail.aspx

Paul.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, down the sdjr said:

I'd be a little bit wary of that livery as it is not the original one the 150/1s (those without corridor connections) were delivered in (which was this - photo taken 1987). Offhand I can't recall when they started repainting them like the 150/2s.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

30 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

I'd be a little bit wary of that livery as it is not the original one the 150/1s (those without corridor connections) were delivered in (which was this - photo taken 1987). Offhand I can't recall when they started repainting them like the 150/2s.

I noticed the lack of corridor connections, was going to ask but ive been asking a lot of questions already, i am still none the wiser.

• RMweb Premium

My knowledge of the allocations of the 150/1s and 150/2s is not great for any time period. I was thinking 150/2 (with the corridor connections) for S&D, but that could be wrong. I will have to defer to others on which of the 150 sub classes might be most appropriate, but look for evidence of what units worked in the Bristol area in the late 80s, and also what units worked the Portsmouth -  Bristol/Cardiff services then (by that time the 33/0s and Mark 1s had been replaced with second generation units, IIRC).

Edit: also check out this thread:

as it contains a few replies that feature stock used in later eras, including late 80s. However, in this case, the units were 155s and later 156s, until 158s were allocated. All those classes being Mark 3 length makes me doubt their suitability for the S&D, which is why I have always thought that 150s would be more likely. The other line to check the stock used on would be Weymouth - Bristol via Castle Cary.

Edited by Ian J.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ian J. said:

My knowledge of the allocations of the 150/1s and 150/2s is not great for any time period. I was thinking 150/2 (with the corridor connections) for S&D, but that could be wrong. I will have to defer to others on which of the 150 sub classes might be most appropriate, but look for evidence of what units worked in the Bristol area in the late 80s, and also what units worked the Portsmouth -  Bristol/Cardiff services then (by that time the 33/0s and Mark 1s had been replaced with second generation units, IIRC).

Edit: also check out this thread:

as it contains a few replies that feature stock used in later eras, including late 80s. However, in this case, the units were 155s and later 156s, until 158s were allocated. All those classes being Mark 3 length makes me doubt their suitability for the S&D, which is why I have always thought that 150s would be more likely. The other line to check the stock used on would be Weymouth - Bristol via Castle Cary.

Hi Ian

Thank you for taking the time to add this, i have had a read and find it really interesting, seems i could have a whole new hobby adding trains that may have run the S&D since closure. I have ordered a Bachmann 150 in RR Sprinter livery but may not stop at that, might add a train for the 70s, 90s etc, etc.

Now i wonder what might have run a re introduced Pines express a GWR HST maybe????

Thanks again for taking the time to reply i really appriciate it.

Paul.

Edited by down the sdjr
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would go with Bath Road allocated 31/4s and SR 33/0.

SR sets were about 5 vehicles, usually Mark 1 with odd Mk 2 FK, all ETH fitted.

If not closed I would not have been surprised if the 123s did not end up working it, but 119 120 would have.

• Like 2