Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
down the sdjr

Somerset and Dorset in the 1980s

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I have a S&D layout that has trains that cover 1900ish to 1966 at closure. I would like to run a train as if the line was still operating in the late 1980s. I presume it would be a DMU or diesel loco. I would be interested in RTR models that you folk might think are suitable. Odd question maybe but i would like to know what people think, i am talking about between Templecombe and Bournemouth West.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot would depend on how BR would have decided to operate it - you can probably justify almost anything. For example, it could have used 33s with Mark 1s or 4TC, if Southern Region was supplying the stock for trains through to Bath/Bristol, with 2H or 3H DEMUs on short workings.

 

If the Western Region were supplying the stock for the through trains then they might use 31s or 37s. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 155s would have probably operated this route when new, but with the problems they had which lead to them being withdrawn with door problems all sorts of replacements could be used 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you already for the replies, i would be looking for a local service and i know nothing about non steam so sorry for my all my questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Firstly anything of the length of a Mark 3 might have trouble with some of the tunnels on the line, so keep to older, shorter stock. Late 80s and I think 150s might be the DMU to be doing most local services. Early to mid 80s I think something similar to the Portsmouth - Bristol/Cardiff stock, so Mark 1s with 33/0s. Inter-regionals might make an appearance, but less frequently than when running during steam days. Don't forget they'd been axed by BR(W) before closure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, down the sdjr said:

 

Maybe. The 158 is of Mark 3 length, but it's profiled differently to Mark 3s. I wouldn't like to say if it could comfortably make it through the tunnels or not, as they were. You could of course speculate that the tunnels were reworked to allow such carriages if they proved to be a problem :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ian J. said:

 

Maybe. The 158 is of Mark 3 length, but it's profiled differently to Mark 3s. I wouldn't like to say if it could comfortably make it through the tunnels or not, as they were. You could of course speculate that the tunnels were reworked to allow such carriages if they proved to be a problem :)

Thanks Ian,

1 last question if i may, do you think regional railways livery would be suitable? I know they ran to Bristol Temple Meads. I model the section from Templecombe to Broadstone so no tunnels on that part of the route to worry about.

Paul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, down the sdjr said:

Thanks Ian,

1 last question if i may, do you think regional railways livery would be suitable? I know they ran to Bristol Temple Meads. I model the section from Templecombe to Broadstone so no tunnels on that part of the route to worry about.

Paul.

 

If I were modelling that location and era, then the Regional Railways or Provincial livery would be my guess. As for modelling a part of the line without the tunnels, remember that, in real life, your trains come from somewhere and go to somewhere. In the case of the Somerset and Dorset that's mainly between Bournemouth West and Bath Green Park, and there are tunnels in the extension section between Evercreech and Bath. So, they'd still have to negotiate those earlier/later in their journeys. Local services that only travel the DCR section would be less common in the 1980s.

Edited by Ian J.
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, russ p said:

158s technically are 90s

Ah, see i told you i knew nothing about diesels. I had a look at the Hornby 155 class that you mentioned. So i should be looking at a 155 or 150? My layout is a out and back single dumbell type so a multiple unit would be nice to save having to run around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

 

If I were modelling that location and era, then the Regional Railways or Provincial livery would be my guess. As for modelling a part of the line without the tunnels, remember that, in real life, your trains come from somewhere and go to somewhere. In the case of the Somerset and Dorset that's mainly between Bournemouth West and Bath Green Park, and there are tunnels in the extension section between Evercreech and Bath. So, they'd still have to negotiate those earlier/later in their journeys. Local services that only travel the DCR section would be less common in the 1980s.

Thank you Ian, its pointing towards the 150 as you said yesterday then, regional livery?

 

Thanks for the input everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

At the start of the 1980s you'd still have first generation DMUs exclusively.

Thanks Bernard, if you dont mind me asking, what RTR models would these be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if the S and D would have had first generation units 119s and 120s would have been common,  did a 119 actually work over it 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, down the sdjr said:

Thank you Ian, its pointing towards the 150 as you said yesterday then, regional livery?

 

Thanks for the input everyone.

 

Probably more likely with the Sprinter branding:

 

800px-19880218-Preston-150247.jpg

 

(image on wikimedia commons)

Edited by Ian J.
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

At the start of the 1980s you'd still have first generation DMUs exclusively.

 

The original post specifically mentioned late 80s, but for early 80s I'd say the likes of 101s, or 117s, or such like, probably in Blue/Grey.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

 

The original post specifically mentioned late 80s, but for early 80s I'd say the likes of 101s, or 117s, or such like, probably in Blue/Grey.

I used to work at Shillingstone station in 1986- 1988 and wanted to run a train on my layout that might have taken me to work if the railway still operated.

Ian, do you think this is about as close as i could get?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/484655/bachmann_branchline_32_928_po07_class_150_1_2_car_dmu_150150_in_br_regional_railways_sprinter_livery_weathered_/stockdetail.aspx

 

Paul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were still a lot of 1st generation DMUs in service even in the late 1980s. In RTR you couldn't really go wrong with a blue/grey Class 101 (Metro Cammell). Not just widespread, they were also one of the longest lived.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, down the sdjr said:

I'd be a little bit wary of that livery as it is not the original one the 150/1s (those without corridor connections) were delivered in (which was this - photo taken 1987). Offhand I can't recall when they started repainting them like the 150/2s.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

I'd be a little bit wary of that livery as it is not the original one the 150/1s (those without corridor connections) were delivered in (which was this - photo taken 1987). Offhand I can't recall when they started repainting them like the 150/2s.

I noticed the lack of corridor connections, was going to ask but ive been asking a lot of questions already, i am still none the wiser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My knowledge of the allocations of the 150/1s and 150/2s is not great for any time period. I was thinking 150/2 (with the corridor connections) for S&D, but that could be wrong. I will have to defer to others on which of the 150 sub classes might be most appropriate, but look for evidence of what units worked in the Bristol area in the late 80s, and also what units worked the Portsmouth -  Bristol/Cardiff services then (by that time the 33/0s and Mark 1s had been replaced with second generation units, IIRC).

 

Edit: also check out this thread:

as it contains a few replies that feature stock used in later eras, including late 80s. However, in this case, the units were 155s and later 156s, until 158s were allocated. All those classes being Mark 3 length makes me doubt their suitability for the S&D, which is why I have always thought that 150s would be more likely. The other line to check the stock used on would be Weymouth - Bristol via Castle Cary.

Edited by Ian J.
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Ian J. said:

My knowledge of the allocations of the 150/1s and 150/2s is not great for any time period. I was thinking 150/2 (with the corridor connections) for S&D, but that could be wrong. I will have to defer to others on which of the 150 sub classes might be most appropriate, but look for evidence of what units worked in the Bristol area in the late 80s, and also what units worked the Portsmouth -  Bristol/Cardiff services then (by that time the 33/0s and Mark 1s had been replaced with second generation units, IIRC).

 

Edit: also check out this thread:

as it contains a few replies that feature stock used in later eras, including late 80s. However, in this case, the units were 155s and later 156s, until 158s were allocated. All those classes being Mark 3 length makes me doubt their suitability for the S&D, which is why I have always thought that 150s would be more likely. The other line to check the stock used on would be Weymouth - Bristol via Castle Cary.

Hi Ian

Thank you for taking the time to add this, i have had a read and find it really interesting, seems i could have a whole new hobby adding trains that may have run the S&D since closure. I have ordered a Bachmann 150 in RR Sprinter livery but may not stop at that, might add a train for the 70s, 90s etc, etc.

Now i wonder what might have run a re introduced Pines express a GWR HST maybe????

Thanks again for taking the time to reply i really appriciate it.

Paul.

Edited by down the sdjr
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pines Express was a named train for Intercity Cross Country and Virgin Cross Country in the 90's and early 00's.  I believe it was normally a 47 + set of seven mk2's.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would go with Bath Road allocated 31/4s and SR 33/0.

 

SR sets were about 5 vehicles, usually Mark 1 with odd Mk 2 FK, all ETH fitted.

 

If not closed I would not have been surprised if the 123s did not end up working it, but 119 120 would have.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.