Wiswell (Mk. II)

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

(Wiswell originally appeared as an attempt at a small 00 layout, and appeared in the 'Layouts' forum in November 2017.  What follows is a revisit.)

Name:

A hybrid of 'Wisbech' and 'Upwell' using an idea that I have shamelessly stolen from Mullie of this parish.

Influence:

As well as the work of Ian Futers, the influences from here include those given under the 'aesthetic' section, below.  All of these share a focus on the railway and its immediate environment, simple track layouts, and a sense of 'presence'.  There are many others, but these are the ones that immediately spring to mind.

"History":

Wiswell is a small goods yard at the end of an ex-GER branch somewhere in Norfolk.  The era is the early 1960s; the line has experienced the modernisation plan and is diesel operated, mostly by class 03 though occasionally others may be seen.  Typically of ex-GER lines, it was lightly built meaning that its RA limits the motive power that can be used.  The branch is near the end of its life.

Dimensions:

The board has been built using a shelf, braced with some 2"x1" softwood; it's slightly under 6'x1'.  As it's effectively a shunting layout this should prove sufficient.

Plan:

Based on the Ian Futers' "Fisherrow" track layout.  Track is Peco code 75, with large radius points.  Control is via a Prodigy system.

Aesthetic:

I have always tried to cram as many buildings and as much track per square inch of board as possible; this time round I want to aim for something that's a mix of 'Upbeach St. Mary's', 'Juniper Hill', and 'Mutton', as seen on this site.  Buildings will be based on a number of those found around the 'Wisbech & Upwell Tramway".

Raison d'etre:

My railway interests are wide and varied, however I have a love of light and minor railways.  As with Wiswell Mk. I, this began with the purchase of a Bachmann 03 (D2011), to which I have now added a second (this will be renumbered); a used Bachmann D2016 is currently on the way form a reputable model shop.  The era of the early '60s also allows me to run a wide variety of stock.

Future:

Over the next couple of weeks I hope to get the track laid, wired, and painted.  In terms of motive power I'd also like to look at a Class 04, and possibly something like a Barclay or Hunslet Class 05 if appropriate.  I'm also trying to find a drawing of one of the Wisbech & Upwell depot buildings, as per the following thread:

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

D2016 arrived at teatime yesterday, and has now been run in.  It's a little quick off the mark, but that will be calmed a little once a DCC23 decoder has been fitted.  All that will remain with the class 03s is what number to give my spare D2011.

The next job is to clear space to get the board lying flat enough to begin laying track.  Hopefully, the new scanner will let me copy the track plan to enable it to be posted up here.

Still need to work out some arrangement for the fiddle yard (all 1' 11" of it); that will make more sense once the track is down, and I've posted some photos.

As ever, thanks for reading.

Regards,

Alex.

• 2 weeks later...