Bachmann updates

Phil Parker

10 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Andy and I are at Bachmann looking at the latest updates. We'll bring you full details later but if you want a sneak preview, check the BRM magazine Instagram account.

Instagram now !!

It's all N gauge stuff - that 319 looks good.

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Don’t do instagram, so I’m gonna have to wait for Phil and Andy’s full report.  It’ll be worth the wait if the 94xx has been moved forward!

Just need to pop this into your web browser and you'll see the pics

https://www.instagram.com/brmmagazine/

Cheers,

Keith

• Thanks 6

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Im waitinf for the class 20s and 24s they look great

Hi,

I had the rail blue class 24 in my hands recently, and it looked stunning!  The other two liveries looked great, too, but it was the full yellow ends that showed off the front-end profile.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tractionman said:

Just need to pop this into your web browser and you'll see the pics

https://www.instagram.com/brmmagazine/

Cheers,

Keith

Thanks Kieth; new shots front and rear ¾ of this very nice looking loco.  This is the 9400-09 version, the 'prototype' GW locos with higher boiler pressure than the BR built (but GW ordered) 'production' locos, 9410-99, 8400-99, and 3400-09.  No visual difference from the lower boiler pressure except the pressure gauge in the cab, and I doubt that even Bachmann have managed to show this!  There is a difference ahead of the smokebox, though, as the plate cover that sits on the sloping frames that show above the running plate is absent on the 'production' series, revealing the smokebox saddle and the tops of the valve chests beneath the smokebox front.  The previous photos show that Bachmann have included this difference.  

My appetite is whetted, even more than by references to pouting and cleavage, which sort of show my age...

• Like 1

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

I'm disappointed, there were no pics of the BRM crew pouting and showing off their cleavage.

There were a couple of boobs when I'm trying to operate the crane on-camera. More next week, and there is more to show than Phil managed to sneak onto Instagram whilst I was pretending to be a journo scribbling notes and asking irrelevant questions. 

• Funny 5

I like the look of the Class 24. According to SEMG, unfortunately they didn't run on southern metals, but according to Wakipeedya some of them did.

Possibly a case of rule 1...and believing Jim's minions. :wacko:

Edited by truffy

Several 24s were transferred to the Southern to provide steam heat to the coaches as the newly delivered BRCW D6500s (class 33s) couldnt do it as they were built with ETH only but the coaches had not been converted from Steam heat to ETH at that stage, I think Derby Sulzers has all the details about which ones were used.

Edited by royaloak
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, truffy said:

I like the look of the Class 24. According to SEMG, unfortunately they didn't run on southern metals, but according to Wakipeedya some of them did.

Class 24s ran on the Southern, some were allocated to Hither Green for a while. However I believe the Class 24/1s were all Scottish, Northern England and Wales based.

So if you want a Class 24 for the Southern you need an early one without the headcode panel. Either the old Bachmann one or a Sutton Locomotive Works version.

https://www.derbysulzers.com/hithergreen.html

Jason

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, truffy said:

Indeed not. First built batch allocated to the SE sector in 1959 due to production delays at BRCW of the D65XX Used in a wide variety of workings,including inter regional passenger duties to the Kent Coast resorts..You can use with almost any rtr stock of that era. My first sight of one was at DoverMarine ( remember that ? ) spotted from the window of an arriving boat train in August 1959.

They returned to the LMR as delivery from BRCW got into its stride.1959 was the first year of the Kent Coast electricification.All three forms of traction were side by side on a daily basis.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Remember them well on the Southern as I was at school when they first arrived. In 1959 our school in South London organized a day trip for the whole school to visit Salisbury and Stonehenge. Motive power for the special train was D5004 and D5013, so they would have travelled down the West of England main line to Salisbury. Opportunities there for anyone not keen on invoking Rule 1 ….

BR Database has the allocations - http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=22&type=D&page=alloc

Edited by RFS
  • Informative/Useful 2

Looking at 159013 in Network SouthEast via Kernow Models.  Picture of the model shows it to have a grey livery, which is backed up by the accompanying picture of the prototype.  Was this the only one in the livery or was this a common early livery?

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/59412/31-520-Bachmann-Class-159-3-Car-DMU-159013-BR-Network-SouthEast

Edit: looking through pictures on Flickr, grey seems to have been on all of them in NSE days.  I always thought they were predominantly white.  Never noticed they were grey!

Edited by BR(S)

• RMweb Premium

It's wrong.  The NSE 159's had effectively a white (actually a very light silver grey) stripe and roof where it would have been grey like that model picture.  Bachmann got it right on the old version so I hope this is going to be corrected.

Edited by John M Upton

1 minute ago, John M Upton said:

It's wrong.  The NSE 159's had effectively a white stripe and roof where it would have been grey like that picture.  Bachmann got it right on the old version so I hope this is going to be corrected.

But it's grey here when they were new:

16139794969_90d1aef9e2_c.jpg465238 & 465239, Clapham Junction, January 30th 1993 by Matt Taylor, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1