Bachmann updates

Phil Parker

• RMweb Gold

All good stuff here; I am in awe of the chains on the 45ton crane!  It does look like Bachmann are continuing the improvement in detail and appearance of models which began with Airfix and Baccy's predecessor Mainline back in the Silurian era before a lot of folk on this forum can remember.  Improving is getting harder as the general standard is raised, but all of these new models look as near perfect as one has any right to expect from volume RTR.  It costs, of course, and the 94xx will be the single largest purchase I have ever made for a model railway item, but the quality is first class and I think the prices are fair.

Also good to hear that the 117 and 121 have lower floors.  A 121 would be justifiable for Cwmdimbath if I ever implemented my vague plan to have alternative stock for early/mid-60s operation, 08, 14, and 37, and as interior detail is particularly important on dmus which have such a clear view to the inside, I find the otherwise excellent Dapol 121 unacceptable in this regard.  Hopefully B have gilded this particular lily with an option on blue/grey, all blue, and green liveries to get rid of the incorrect double red tail lights that all RTR dmus seem to insist on.  The trains carried an oil tail lamp in those days, though the marker lights did have red shades that were stored in their own box in the cabs.

Mention is made of the new factory facilities coming on line, so I am looking forward to my 94xx next May and will not complain if it turns up before that!

Now, if I can just persuade Hornby to re-tool the 2721 to modern standards and Dapol to release the diagram N auto trailer in 00, followed by a rethink of their proposed prairie as a Collett 31xx...

Well done Blue Box!

• Agree 2

Wonderful to see progress on the 158, did they mention that the gloss shall be 'toned' down a little for the main release? Must be in production now, if they want to reach the UK by Feb? 

Weirder question, did you observe the tampo numbering on the GWR example being over the gloss finish to allow easy re-numbering as I have two on order to re-form into a 158/9. Hornby annoyingly gloss over the tampo printed numbers making re-numbering more of a challenge. 

A smart move would be to changing the tampo finish on the EMT to EMR on half the batch... 

And just incase Bachmann are reading... That 319 would look fantastic in OO with two 'power-packs' and an exhaust to make the 769 in TfW and GWR! Bachmann might have more success in delivering a working example before GE do the prototype! 

Edited by 159220
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hi Andy,

thanks for for sharing the update photos. The 20/3 looks very nice and looks like I’ll have enough time to save for a couple. I like the 117’s too plenty of detail in that underframe.

Its positive to see the quality and new new models progressing from Bachmann.

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

What is it with Bachmann and their overthick window frames? The 117 and Farish 319 suffer from it, as did the OO Mk2f coaches and Class 101 before that. They should be almost flush with the body sides. Otherwise the new models look great, especially the 117; when will it be offered BR blue and/or GSYP please...?

Any news on reliveries please? The Blue with dominoes 47/0 and LL 47/7 in particular.

Edited by brushman47544

• Moderators
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

That crane just cries out to be motorized & DCC fitted, is that a proposed option?

I very much doubt it as it would be prohibitively expensive with multiple motors and decoders, but I'd love to see someone try it. Someone will!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely, but not me! I would expect a factory version fully motorised with DCC as a limited edition to run close to a grand, and inspire entire layouts designed around it.  Don't forget a crane such as this is not just used for breakdown work (in fact the bulk of 'incidents', fortunately, don't require a crane and can be dealt with by 'the vans', which carry jacks, chains, ropes, packing, and cutting/wrecking equipment and have messing facilities), but, with breakdown cover arranged from other depots, can be booked out on major Civil Engineering jobs such as big bridge girders that require that sort of lifting ability.

Breakdown work at Canton in the 70s included contract arrangements with British Steel, and I once went out with the vans to re-rail one of their shunting engines which had tripped over something and was in the dirt.  As the traincrew are really only there to take the vans to site, with an 08 in this case, and have no part to play until the job is squared off and it's time to go home, we were able to take advantage of Tremorfa Works' very good, and free, canteen.  I also took the 75ton crane out to Queen St 2 weekends running to install the long girders that carry the Valleys lines over Newport Road.  These massive girders went in one at a time and weight 120 tons each, and the Canton crane dealt with one end while an 80 ton capacity hydraulic road crane handled the other, an amazing thing as a spectator sport,

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Agreed. The 117 bolections are over the top.

If I remember correctly the driving trailers built to go with the Bubble cars, had external, raised window frames.

But all other WR 3car suburban units had the glass held in with black rubber, which gave the glazing a very flush ' look '.

Bachmann do seem to have invented an external window frame on the models.

Have they been studying the LMR St Pancras/ Marylebone units for detail?.

Not complaining. just an observation.

Here's what I mean about how thin the 117 bolections are:

http://www.meades.org/misc/gauge_1_dmu/nottingham_pictures/class_116_motor_second_trailer_composite_lhs.jpg

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/12315

https://www.flickr.com/photos/keith-v/5819167350/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/adogriff/14534703724/

the Pressed Steel units had flat strip window retainers:

http://www.docbrown.info/docspics/dales/hawes/Img_7310.jpg

Edited by Miss Prism
totally crap Invision editor

5 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

The B&W image at Olton sums up perfectly what I ( and you ) had observed.