To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

Deutsche Bundesbahn in S Scale

steverabone

• RMweb Premium

The images have now been added Alex.

When I started modelling in S Scale I decided to record construction in detail on my website - mainly because I often forget how I solved a problem and it is useful to be able to look back over what I did several months or years later.

Each of the models I've constructed is described in full detail here, including details of the failures!

http://www.steverabone.com/sscalewebsite/modelling_the_d_b.htm

A description of building the layout is here:

http://steverabone.com/sscalewebsite/new_german_s_scale_layout.html

There are similar pages for my Midland Railway and London Midland Region layout which can be accessed from here:

http://www.steverabone.com/sscalewebsite/indexpage.htm

Edited by steverabone
  • Like 3

Brilliant work.

Though my security does not like one of the websites.

I do like the double tram car bogie idea.

That could be adapted to almost any rail car.

There are some building downloads that would be handy to adapt as well.

Many thanks for posting.

Bernard

• 5 months later...

Very impressive modelling. I've modelled DB in HO and can appreciate what you have achieved.

One question, could you have substituted plasticard for card in the construction?

Second one, there is a fair amount of US stuff available in S, could any of it have been suitably modified? I assume no German S RTR?

Thanks

steve

• RMweb Premium
On 03/04/2020 at 20:30, steve1 said:

Very impressive modelling. I've modelled DB in HO and can appreciate what you have achieved.

One question, could you have substituted plasticard for card in the construction?

Second one, there is a fair amount of US stuff available in S, could any of it have been suitably modified? I assume no German S RTR?

Thanks

steve

My use of card is deliberate - I've been impressed by some of the techniques by German modellers and reported on various forum. I could have used plastic but why not use a more environmentally friendly and cheaper material? I first started using card for my Midland Railway s Scale coaches about 15 years ago and they have remained absolutely stable to this day - that isn't always the case with models made of plastic card.

The reason for using British tram mechanisms is that I was able to get precisely the wheelbases I needed without having to hack up expensive a rtr American chassis.

You are correct there is currently no German S Scale - after all S Scale is an imperial scale so obviously USA and UK and NZ seem to be the main countries where it is commom(ish).

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/04/2020 at 16:38, steverabone said:

You are correct there is currently no German S Scale - after all S Scale is an imperial scale so obviously USA and UK and NZ seem to be the main countries where it is commom(ish).

Indeed there is currently no S in Germany, but there has been in the fifties (and also in France). I wrote a small article with pictures about it, see attachment. All very toy-like; this German Baureihe 05 with train is the most scale like:

P1170305.JPG.0309f862116ef717dde68d1352da3b17.JPG

Regards

Fred

S_trains_made_in_Europe_(Germany,_France,_England).pdf

• Informative/Useful 1

The Baureihe 64 is very popular in Germany, so it is made in Z, N, H0, 0 and 1 Gauge. But since there is no interest in current S in Germany I agree that it is unlikely.

Regards

Fred

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm afraid that my layouts are not portable and the baseboards are actually supported by the walls on brackets. In any case my exhibiting days are over as I ceased to enjoy it.

This link will take you to a short video of the layout in action.

http://www.steverabone.com/sscalewebsite/German video with sound.mp4

Edited by steverabone

• RMweb Premium

I thought some of you might like to see my latest S Scale models which are DB Silberling passenger coaches. These were the standard regional/ suburban coach found every where in Germany. The had a distinctive fish-scale like pattern on the special no rusting steel used for the bodyside. This is difficult to reproduce in model form but as you will see there is a way!

img502.jpg

img538.jpg

They are once again built almost completely from card - just the bogie inner frames and wheels are metal. The sides are print outs of photographs of the sides of the latest Piko HO models which have been re-scaled from images found on a review of the models on a German website. The roof is card with a little epoxy resin used as a filler on the roof end domes.

The models are run as a two coach push-pull train with my BR212 diesel - this makes an ideal 1970s/80s branch train.

Full details of construction are on my model blog on my website:

https://www.steverabone.com/sscalewebsite/building_a_silberlinge.html

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Blimey Steve, you certainly like a challenge! Very impressive, I had no idea card could be made to look this good. They look the biz!

(By coincidence I've just been catching up on unread articles in the latest issue of Traction because I've just realised the next one is imminent and I am somewhat behind with my reading!)

• RMweb Premium

Yes I like a challenge but the real reason is that by modelling in a scale that very few use and in a material that is often looked down on I end up with models that are unique, even if they are nowhere near the standard of some modeller's work or ready to run models.

Edited by steverabone
  • Like 4

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another German loco is under way. This is  a BRE44 Bo-Bo electric which uses re-gauged Airfix tender drive units for the powered bogies. Everything else is card using a resized pdf "kit" from a German card modellers' forum. The pantograph (a second one is needed) is non working and is made from nickel silver wire and brass strips. Lots more to do but the model is basically complete.

IMG_20220224_141026cropped.jpg.a790997a7f7632eee138c19168201d13.jpg

Edited by steverabone
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

This is another loco built from a pdf card kit using an Airfix tender drive unit (re-gauged for S Scale) for power. The loco still needs a lot of detailing but is essentially complete. The real locos were used on both passenger and freight trains on the branch between Murnau and Oberammergau until the 1980s!! The sight of one of these small locos hauling two 26.4m long Silberlinge coaches was somewhat bizarre. The pantograph is none working but set at a suitable height for when (or if) I build some overhead catenary. The locos were painted a reddish brown colour.

There is still quite a bit of detailing to be done before painting.

560418068_IMG_20220406_201452cropped.jpg.9e4c9c7d7e5843af825697b4e639b163.jpg

Edited by steverabone
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

And this one is for those who need convincing that it is possible to build a working chassis using just a pair of very sharp scissors, a mini-drill and broaches, some files and a soldering iron and all built on a card table!

It is the chassis for a DB BR86 2-8-2T which uses Markits wheels on S Scale axles and has valve gear assembled from modified parts from Alan Gibson etches. The loco has to get around 36" radius curves so there is a lot of side play on the 2nd and 4th axle and I have also had to devise an unusual system for the pony trucks.

The frames are from .016" brass sheet cut with scissors to the required shape and filed as necessary. The two frames are tack soldered together and drilled for the axle holes. This needs to be done accurately with all holes absolutely in line. Once separated the holes are opened up with broaches and top hat bearings inserted. The frames are aligned with frame spacing jigs and Alan Gibson frame spacers soldered in place. To strengthen the side frames I also solder double sided sleeper strip to the frames which ensures that the frames sides are absolutely straight.

The crossheads are strip of nickel silver folded at the top around the slidebar (German locos usually only have one slidebar). The cylinders are made as one unit from brass and nickel silver sheet and soldered to the frames. There are still a few cosmetic parts to be added to the cylinder before I start work on the body. The rods and valve gear are all from Alan Gibson etchings adapted as necessary.

1551189523_IMG_20220316_2003459956cropped.jpg.937922afe92911a15c761b1f01fd88ab.jpg

To get the wheels of the pony trucks to go around those tight curves I've made the pony trucks from a narrow strip of brass with 1/16" top hat bearings soldered in place. The holes in the bearings are opened out slightly with broaches to allow the axles to move from side to side easily. There are also two pieces of copper clad sleeper strip soldered to the underside of the chassis spacer. This limits sideways movement of the brass strip. The result of all this is that the wheels stay on the track and at right angles to the rails so absolutely no derailments.

img615.jpg.505e8f713c81054162a753d3143a6014.jpg

Extensive testing has now taken place and the chassis now runs smoothly and slowly as well as pulling a substantial load.

Now it just needs a few detail non-functional parts adding and then it will be onto the body which will be largely from card.

Edited by steverabone
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

image.png.4a5150e80e8d3522ecbc6f83ec4cbde3.png

Construction of the body starts with this piece of thick grey board which is secured to the chassis with captive nuts trapped in side multiple layers of card. The circles show the position of the bolts.

img623.jpg.1f63aa864c6a171c6d0c1c020151ac7b.jpg

The side tanks and cab are in place. They are cut from print outs of a scale drawing of the BR86 using thin card glued to grey board to give sufficient rigidity. The motor has no gained a flywheel which improves running so that the loco can run at walking speed and couple up to stock without moving the vehicles.

img627.jpg.53d03b0586cf58847a62bc86c36039a8.jpg

The boiler is a length of central heating plastic pipe covered with several layers of thin card wrapped around it - the underside is coated with two part epoxy resin which gives a very firm structure. The steps, headlamp and short length of footplate by the smoke box were fabricated from various pieces of brass strip, wire and tube. The wonky buffer casing will be sorted out before proceeding!

img629.jpg.98d08f875369b76a173aa37c54ae0041.jpg

German locos tend to have a lot of boiler fittings. The strange contraption across the smokebox top is a pre-heater and is simply a length of plastic tube fastened into a slot filed in the boiler. The stove pipe chimney is a length of brass tube which had four slots cut in the end at right angles to each other. The four quadrants were eased apart at the top and the holes filled with solder and filed smooth. The various domes and sandboxes are from the barrel of a Staedtler overhead projector pen cut to the correct length and filled with epoxy resin. After filing to the correct profile a pin was insert in the underside and locates the dome into the boiler top. A slight flat is filed in the top of the boiler for each dome and then some more epoxy fills any gaps between the domes and the boiler.

The two photos below show all the pipework to be found on the boiler - all made from plastic rod or brass wire and secured in holes drilled in the boiler or domes.

IMG_20220607_204308.thumb.jpg.091212930ea0e588e1126ff600eabb3d.jpg

IMG_20220607_204340.thumb.jpg.da6fcd20681618de00b463e6dd931380.jpg

And below the finished model with a temporary number plate in place

img639.jpg.08f3a92d0f7465b360f3c85f3ec634e3.jpg

img640.jpg.a5f78717cda446e2917b1469def99c83.jpg

To see the model in action click on this link for a short film clip.

https://www.steverabone.com/sscalewebsite/VID_20220617_152150.3gp

Edited by steverabone
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5