Farish Class 319

TomE

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The most recent mention in the BCC magazine was that it was at livery sample received/awaited stage, so I imagine we might see more in the winter update. 

Tom.   

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 23/10/2020 at 12:56, TomE said:

The most recent mention in the BCC magazine was that it was at livery sample received/awaited stage, so I imagine we might see more in the winter update. 

Tom.   

Was there any mention and/or pics to be seen in the Winter update? Or is it too early for that issue?

1 hour ago, scottystitch said:

Its listed as being at the livery sample stage, but no illustrations, etc.

That's a shame. That seems to be the same stage that Tom mentioned it was at in the previous issue.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, grahame said:

That's a shame. That seems to be the same stage that Tom mentioned it was at in the previous issue.

There is a livery diagram for the NSE version shown and it’s under livery samples received / awaited section now rather than livery artwork so it has moved up a stage. 

Tom. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomE said:

There is a livery diagram for the NSE version shown and it’s under livery samples received / awaited section now rather than livery artwork so it has moved up a stage. 

Tom. Quite right, I missed the image. Couldn’t see it for looking at it. 

Apologies Grahame. 

best

Scott. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hopefully the link below will take you to images now available on the Bachmann site for livery samples of the 319 - I think it looks good, but.....I'm not sure of the livery on the NSE 319. It was always advertised as revised NSE so darker blue but the upsweeps on the cab sides look like they are the original style. Is this right?

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/category/189/class-319-4-car-emu-319004-br-network-southeast-(revised)/372-875

Edit:NSE is tempting me.

Edited by steve1023
  • Like 3

I think it might be. From memory the change over from light to dark blue and from angled to curved upsweep wasn't 100% consistent.

That cab end is certainly an improvement on the earlier version they showed (1st page of this thread). The light clusters actually fit the space now.

• RMweb Gold

There are photos of all three versions here

It is looking excellent. The front is certainly much improved over the initial EP, although I'm not sure the two outer cab windows taper out toward the top outer edge as they should and the panel lines on the NSE example look a tad on the heavy side. That said Farish panel lines always tend to look worse in photos than in the flesh I've found. 

Seriously tempted by an NSE one!

516387747_372-875class3194-caremu319004brnetworksoutheast(revised)cab34-17177-extra-large-1.jpg.8f9e2dcf52be2382fef6a56ad9013ad3.jpg

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Like 4

Yes, the Farish trencherman does seem to have been particularly overenthusiastic with the cab end panel lines. However the cab screen wipers and pantographs look nice and fine and at least the wipers aren't painted mouldings in the glazing. But is the cab door NSE flash emblem too large?

Nonetheless, this is a very welcome model for me and I'll be ordering several.

6 hours ago, grahame said:

Yes, the Farish trencherman does seem to have been particularly overenthusiastic with the cab end panel lines. 

It's a world away from the crisp delicate tooling of the Kato 800 - and the trencherman appears not to have 'dug' the cabside windows out quite deep enough either.  Saying that however, wow,  I never thought I'd see a RTR Class 319 and always thought it was a no brainer to model  - do we think Bachmann can tackle the lovely, but complex First Capital Connect livery,  or Connex/Brighton Express 319/2 :D

Jon 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Might have to get one…even though Olympia is set in 1980-6. Spent many years commuting on them, firstly to Kings X then Croydon, Blackfriars, Croydon again and finally Three Bridges. Even been evacuated from one via the nose end cab door.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, 43179 said:

I never thought I'd see a RTR Class 319 and always thought it was a no brainer to model  - do we think Bachmann can tackle the lovely, but complex First Capital Connect livery

If you are keen for a First Capital Connect liveried EMU, then Revolution are offering the 313 in FCC ‘urban lights’ livery, which is the same livery as the 319 and 365 wore during FCC operatorship. I am pretty sure you will see a Revolution 313 in FCC long before you see a Farish 319 in FCC :D !

I suppose that there is the possibility of a second production run by Bachmann and they could do FCC, Southern, the later Northern livery and LondonMidland and if they were smart (and had tooling to allow for the extra underframe equipment), TfW and GWR [769].... I think they’ll get good mileage out of the 319 tooling....!

As an aside, am I right in thinking that N gauge is now better catered for RTR than OO in terms of modern EMU/DMU/BiMU?.... the only thing I can think of that OO have that N gauge doesn’t is the Thames Turbo.... I’m not counting any of the Bratchell stuff since it is non-powered and therefore not RTR if you want it to run!!!

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, JR_P said:

As an aside, am I right in thinking that N gauge is now better catered for RTR than OO in terms of modern EMU/DMU/BiMU?.... the only thing I can think of that OO have that N gauge doesn’t is the Thames Turbo.... I’m not counting any of the Bratchell stuff since it is non-powered and therefore not RTR if you want it to run!!!

Apart from the 166/165 Turbo, N Gauge doesn’t yet have a Class 466 Networker, 2 EPB, 4TC, 4BEP, 4 VEP or Class 450, all of which are available RTR in OO so still some way to go. 

Tom. 

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure some third-party manufacturers will step into the breach to cover the missing liveries and, perhaps, 3D print some diesel engines for the driving cars...

There is a such a huge amount of potential variants for the 319, I've lost count.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, TomE said:

Apart from the 166/165 Turbo, N Gauge doesn’t yet have a Class 466 Networker, 2 EPB, 4TC, 4BEP, 4 VEP or Class 450

Ah yes, good shout about the 466.... completely off my radar. The 450 is on its way.... I wouldn’t consider the rest of those you list as ‘modern’  (which I did caveat my statement with).... I guess ‘modern’ is a very relative term :D !

Anyway, I forgot to say that the 319 has a much improved cab face and I think it was well worth Bachmann taking onboard everyone’s observations about the errors to produce a much better looking model. Definitely a Northern one for me!

• RMweb Gold

2 hours ago, JR_P said:

I wouldn’t consider the rest of those you list as ‘modern’

I’ve said it before, but the real missing link in modern EMUs is now the 37X family, which applies to both scales! 

On reviewing the spec for the 319, it’s very impressive. Factory fitted interior lighting and speaker plus through electrical connection meaning only one DCC Chip is required is something Kato could learn from Farish! In fact the 800 doesn’t make any allowance for sound at all, so I can only assume it’s not that popular in Japan. But, by the time you fully spec out the 800 with the decoder pack and lighting kit, there probably isn’t more than £50 between them when both are DCC’d (without sound)

Tom. 

• Agree 2

I wonder if Kato might be tempted by the 37x family. Not only is the Azuma superb it is fantastic value - a Kato  5 car bimodal for the price of a 2 car Farish 170 (with no lights or DCC socket...)