Farish Class 319

TomE

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Here's a link to a pic of 319004 on Flickr to compare those NSE elements. Definitely angles on the stripes

319004 319001 Bedford 061187 img1882-0487m-a

Jo

Not absolutely sure about 319s but there were variant liveries: with curves and with angles.

32 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Not absolutely sure about 319s but there were variant liveries: with curves and with angles.

Yes, some 319s certainly had curved bottom corners on the upswings as here:

5348480129_b58d21b599_b.jpg.a0ee036c2229b084a404a846d3bb4f84.jpg

And even 319004 has a curved bottom edge at some time:

319004.jpg.07ad03d81b76515d990dc8d23e7403a5.jpg

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, fezza said:

I wonder if Kato might be tempted by the 37x family. Not only is the Azuma superb it is fantastic value - a Kato  5 car bimodal for the price of a 2 car Farish 170 (with no lights or DCC socket...)

I’d be surprised if they did - they produced the Azuma because it was a Japanese design which they could sell in Japan (which is how they kept the price down ie by producing in considerably higher volume than would be possible for the UK alone). 

There are considerable non-trivial (in terms of tooling) differences in the Electrostar family. I’m sure some variants will eventually get done RTR but not sure which ones or whether they will all get done. 

• Agree 1

You may be right RedDeath - I just get the feeling that many Japanese modellers just like running different trains and worry less about sticking to a single company or prototype. Otherwise why do they  buy an LNER prototype in an "incorrect" scale or a Eurostar? I guess we just have to hope and be nice to Mr Kato at the next Warley!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, fezza said:

I wonder if Kato might be tempted by the 37x family. Not only is the Azuma superb it is fantastic value - a Kato  5 car bimodal for the price of a 2 car Farish 170 (with no lights or DCC socket...)

Agreed it would be nice if they were, but their MO for international models seems to be shiny & fast, which makes it easier for them to sell in their domestic market and justify the high numbers that they produce. I'm not sure the 37X qualifies on either of those requirements!

Tom. 

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

With the 319s in this version of NSE it varied unit to unit whether it was curved or angled, as several others have highlighted, indeed that's what sent me digging to check 004 as it's the one Farish are doing

Jo

I have just been digging and I'm not convinced Bachmann have got this right. Darker blue with curved upsweeps certainly but with the angled upsweeps I think it was original lighter blue. One of the books I have shows 319006 in July 88 (so when practically new) (photo linked on the previous page taken '87) and the author even mentions the variation in shades of blue and earlier shade on 319006 in the book (with angled upsweeps).  

35 minutes ago, steve1023 said:

I have just been digging and I'm not convinced Bachmann have got this right. Darker blue with curved upsweeps certainly but with the angled upsweeps I think it was original lighter blue. One of the books I have shows 319006 in July 88 (so when practically new) (photo linked on the previous page taken '87) and the author even mentions the variation in shades of blue and earlier shade on 319006 in the book (with angled upsweeps).  

Farish aren't doing 319006 but 319004 and claim it is NSE revised livery (so the darker blue) and pics of their samples show it with angled corner upswings as in the photo of the real unit posted by Steadfast above (which appears to show darker blue) and as also on this unit in revised darker blue:

18606008046_99e8e63f4a_b.jpg.699e2000e6603d40e462805379bae0b5.jpg

Snag is 319004 also carried curved corner upswings at some time (as I posted a pic of above) and below. You'll also notice it doesn't have the NSE flash on the end cab door either unlike the earlier pic from Steadfast:

372-875-1685-extra-large.jpg.5a56c875569de07bc762d9e16bfb1593.jpg

So, despite changes (over time), Farish do have it right according to at least one photographic evidence.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, grahame said:

Farish aren't doing 319006 but 319004 and claim it is NSE revised livery (so the darker blue) and pics of their samples show it with angled corner upswings as in the photo of the real unit posted by Steadfast above (which appears to show darker blue) and as also on this unit in revised darker blue:

18606008046_99e8e63f4a_b.jpg.699e2000e6603d40e462805379bae0b5.jpg

Snag is 319004 also carried curved corner upswings at some time (as I posted a pic of above) and below. You'll also notice it doesn't have the NSE flash on the end cab door either unlike the earlier pic from Steadfast:

372-875-1685-extra-large.jpg.5a56c875569de07bc762d9e16bfb1593.jpg

So, despite changes (over time), Farish do have it right according to at least one photographic evidence.

I don't agree that the blue on the image of 004 is the later dark blue, the image is also dated 87 when the unit was brand new, hence the comment about 006 in lighter blue dated 88. No way did NSE go light blue (images of 002 when new appear to be lighter blue) dark blue and back to light blue. Interestingly the image you've posted of 025 at STP does appear to be darker blue with angled upsweeps. 

Your image of 004 at WFJ is a much later image (appears to have a Connex logo halfway down the first vehicle - hence no NSE logo on the front) so probably between 6 to 8 years later than the first image. Cleary has had a repaint because it does have the later curved upsweeps. 

On the subject of NSE logo on the front, the grey on the model is too dark, should be lighter, but thats no biggie. Sorry if you disagree. 

1 hour ago, steve1023 said:

I don't agree that the blue on the image of 004 is the later dark blue, the image is also dated 87 when the unit was brand new, hence the comment about 006 in lighter blue dated 88. No way did NSE go light blue (images of 002 when new appear to be lighter blue) dark blue and back to light blue. Interestingly the image you've posted of 025 at STP does appear to be darker blue with angled upsweeps. 

Clearly there are 319 units with darker revised blue and angled corner upsweeps. The pic of 004 (as posted by Steadfast) also appears to be dark blue, even if you don't think, so the evidence is that units were in that livery variant.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, TomE said:

I’ve said it before, but the real missing link in modern EMUs is now the 37X family, which applies to both scales! 

On reviewing the spec for the 319, it’s very impressive. Factory fitted interior lighting and speaker plus through electrical connection meaning only one DCC Chip is required is something Kato could learn from Farish! In fact the 800 doesn’t make any allowance for sound at all, so I can only assume it’s not that popular in Japan. But, by the time you fully spec out the 800 with the decoder pack and lighting kit, there probably isn’t more than £50 between them when both are DCC’d (without sound)

Tom. 

DCC in general in Japan isn't much of a thing, never mind sound.

As much of a pain in the ass DCC fitting the 800 is I can sort of see where Kato's logic goes, they aim for easy mass production and reliablity.

Worth remembering their main market generally doesn't have permanent layouts and things have to be taken out and put away back in boxes between running sessions.

• Informative/Useful 1

48 minutes ago, grahame said:

Clearly there are 319 units with darker revised blue and angled corner upsweeps. The pic of 004 (as posted by Steadfast) also appears to be dark blue, even if you don't think, so the evidence is that units were in that livery variant.

Yes, it did exist. I remember thinking at the time that it was something that was bound to cause confusion in the future! What I can't guarantee is that it was that actual unit.

• Moderators

Farish have just sent through images of the livery samples.

372-875.LS.01.jpg

372-875.LS.jpg

372-876.LS.01.jpg

372-876.LS.jpg

372-877.LS.01.jpg372-877.LS.jpg

These highly detailed, high specification models are currently projected for release in early-2022 with a RRP of £319.95 each.

The Class 319 specification is as follows:

Graham Farish N Scale

Powerful coreless motor and flywheel fitted to the MSO vehicle

Electrical pickup from all axles

Sprung Brecknell Willis or Stone Faiveley pantograph

Unobstructed interior including seat and table detail

Integral conductive couplings between vehicles

Functional multiple unit couplings at the outer ends

Directional lighting – switchable on/off via DCC or the chassis-mounted switches

Internal lighting

Speaker Fitted

Easy Access DCC decoder socket – located behind an underframe panel on the TSO vehicle

Equipped with a Next18 Decoder Socket (one decoder required) – recommended Decoder item No. 36-567A

Length 560mm (over couplings)

372-875.LS.02.jpg

372-875.LS.04.jpg

372-875.LS.05.jpg

372-876.LS.04.jpg

372-877.LS.03.jpg

372-877.LS.04.jpg

372-877.LS.05.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Here's a link to a pic of 319004 on Flickr to compare those NSE elements. Definitely angles on the stripes

319004 319001 Bedford 061187 img1882-0487m-a

Agreed. The NSE flash on the door looks about the right size too which I know was mentioned as a concern earlier.

Personally I prefer the curved upsweep but it is not a deal breaker and the livery version Farish have produced does look right for how the first batch of units appeared when new.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

What's going on with the light cluster on the Thameslink liveried version?  It looks like someone took a knife to it.

I've removed the full frontal shot - the damage hadn't been noted. It's not a production issue.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, red death said:

I’d be surprised if they did - they produced the Azuma because it was a Japanese design which they could sell in Japan (which is how they kept the price down ie by producing in considerably higher volume than would be possible for the UK alone).

Never say never. Peco and Kato are working together to produce the OO9 "Small England" - a loco with no claims to any links to Japan as far as I know!

I can see the attraction of an Electrostar, but just like the 63' 1st generation DMU (or Mk1 based EMU), which do you do first - between the classes (and then within those classes) there's lots of detail difference.

Steven B.

1 hour ago, Steven B said:

Never say never. Peco and Kato are working together to produce the OO9 "Small England" - a loco with no claims to any links to Japan as far as I know!

I can see the attraction of an Electrostar, but just like the 63' 1st generation DMU (or Mk1 based EMU), which do you do first - between the classes (and then within those classes) there's lots of detail difference.

Steven B.

But who started that relationship - Peco because they want someone to build 009 locos for them or Kato because they fancy breaking into the 009 market in the UK - I can imagine which way round it is.

Edited by woodenhead
missing who

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steven B said:

Absolutely! 

The OO9 loco is estimated to be £150 ie not far off the price of a 5 car Azuma which gives us a clue that if Kato did enter the UK market (with no potential appeal to their home market) then perhaps we shouldn’t be expecting the price to be the same as the Azuma. 

cheers Mike

• Like 2

At nearly £320 I can see these sitting on shelves for awhile. You don't have to look hard to find Farish's last 4 car emu still for sale at £120... and that came out a long time ago.

I get the economies of scale argument, but that is a massive difference to Kato prices and quite a big difference to Farish's former emu prices. (And bear in mind a current Farish diesel and three coaches won't set you back more than about £260).

16 minutes ago, fezza said:

At nearly £320 I can see these sitting on shelves for awhile. You don't have to look hard to find Farish's last 4 car emu still for sale at £120... and that came out a long time ago.

I get the economies of scale argument, but that is a massive difference to Kato prices and quite a big difference to Farish's former emu prices. (And bear in mind a current Farish diesel and three coaches won't set you back more than about £260).

The £320 is the quoted RRP. They won't be on sale for that and no-one will pay that price. The usual 15% discount will make them around £275.