Lost sound

mikeg

Can anyone help, I have a Heljan class 31 with the Zimo MX695 chip. I was running it yesterday and it was working with all the sound working, I pressed F11 to start the fan and the loco stopped and the sound was off. The loco chip had also lost its number which I reprogrammed and it ran as it should tried F11 fan started but the sound died again it still runs but no sound, tried reprogramming the chip as before but made no difference.

Has anyone got any idea what the problem might be?

regards mike 

Richard, the fan has been working for about five years, and the chip is I think 2.5amps and the fan is on a separate outlet. I think that the fan draws .2amps but it was when I installed the chip that I measured it. All the lights are still controllable so I think that the chip is OK. Thanks for the reply.

Regards mike 

I also have a problem that I cannot find the programming sheet that came with the chip, the sound file is one of PaulC’s and I think that the sound can be turned off but I can’t remember what F numbers that it was. I didn’t think that I have used any F no’s that would have turned the sound off.

I have been able to get the loco working but without any sound.

Regards mike 

• RMweb Premium

F27 (to decrease) and F28 (to increase) may be the volume control ones. However, you do need to be aware that each of those keys continues to decrease/increase for as long as they're turned on so for a minimal decrease/increase you do need to press the key once and then almost immediately press it again. Leaving the increase key on for too long can damage the speaker - don't ask a friend of mine how he knows that!

F1 will turn the sound on and off. Unlike ESU decoders (at least) Zimo sounds from any of the function key operations do require the F1 (sound) key on. The one exception may be if the loco is fitted with Active Brake when on some of mine, activating that function will, as the train comes to a stand and emits the brake applied sound, turn the general sound on.

Paul is liable to be around later so you can probably ask him for a new instruction sheet.

Ray, I have tried F28 as I thought I may have accidentally hit F19 which turns the sound off as I was using the clubs PA2 as the rear lights are controlled by F8 & F9 and I had used F11 for the fan which required the shift key to be used so I thought that I might have had to shift active when using F9. I have a Z21 at home so tried F28 and when pressed it had a red cross over the button showing that the function is not available so I don’t think it was used when the chip was originally programmed. I hope that Paul will be able to tell me if he sees this posting and replies.

Regards mike 

Just an update the chip is a MX696KVGOLD purchased in July 2016, also I think that it has been locked to prevent it accidentally having any cvs above 29 being changed as the chip was customised to control the lighting.

I have been able to get it running but can’t get the sound working, the chip doesn’t reset using CV8 = 8 but I can change the loco number!

regards mike 

In the maker's decoder manual:

http://www.zimo.at/web2010/documents/MX-large-scale_decoders_E.pdf

First bit of the configuration via CVs, (page 18 onwards), talks about CV144 locking the decoder. 

Sound not working might be CV265.  It should reset cleanly, but it is possible that a change of CV265 will be needed to find the sound project.  Usually its single digit number for steam, starting from 101 for diesel/electrics. 

Thanks Nigel I was not sure of the number but CV144 rings a bell, I just wish I could find the instructions that came with the chip as all the settings are recorded on it. Will try CV265 latter if I get the chance, I am tied to the house at the moment waiting for a call to collect my wife from the hospital but will let all know if the numbers given work probably late tomorrow.

regards mike 

I have found the problem, the speaker had gone open circuit, fitted a new one and now have sound. I found the fault when I checked the speaker with my meter, but now have no lights only the red marker ones switched on by F9 for reverse I had tried a reset and with that it changed the original settings for the Functions and although I reset to the original number that’s when the lights went off.

So now have a working loco with sound but no lights, have checked the wiring but can’t find any faults!

HELP 

mike