Revolution Class 313 and 314 in N

JR_P

15 minutes ago, Legend said:

What annoys me is I remember the 314s new in 1979. I remember going down to Central low level just to see the new class . Nov 1979 . The advertising slogan on the new Argyle Line  was "Inner Outer Under Over.....Trans-Clyde"  40 years on and most are being scrapped is just a reminder of how old I am !  I remember my first ride on one and thinking how quiet they were and how smooth the ride was in comparison to a 303/311.   Then in later life (Crimson and Cream days dare I mention it) these units could be found on the Inverclyde lines and they'd take me up to Glasgow for the day . So they have a special place for me which is why I'd consider an "n" Layout just to run them . A terminus  like Gourock maybe or perhaps Bishopton with the ROF sidings still in place .

Anyway best wishes to Revolution for bringing this model to market .

My first Deltic day was also my first 313 day, and 312 day - a sunny morning at KX in 1977

• Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, ash39 said:

I might be in the minority, in which case this entire post is moot, but I tend to buy models based on what else is available to go with it. I'd love to model a busy commuter station on the south ECML and a couple of First Capital Connect 313's would be perfect for this, but without a contemporary Class 91/Mk4 it is not much use.

How about something based on the North London Lines? If you model something based loosely on Gospel Oak, you can have them rubbing shoulders with Sprinters on the Barking line or even 1st Gen DMUs like Dapol's 121 and Farish's 101 if you go back to NSE days. Then there is freight as well. You could make a great suburban layout with a variety of stock.

X6qvJ1Ua1X1qAKcTYHchgvFK4xajl55tfiRVpPRI

go03.jpg

spaceout.gif12915105034_95f6132fc5_c.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, ash39 said:

I might be in the minority, in which case this entire post is moot, but I tend to buy models based on what else is available to go with it. I'd love to model a busy commuter station on the south ECML and a couple of First Capital Connect 313's would be perfect for this, but without a contemporary Class 91/Mk4 it is not much use.

Alternatively, model the southern end of the WCML instead. 313s on the Watford DC lines, 321s and Desiros on the semi-fast services, Pendolinos on the expresses. Or go back a bit and have a variety of AC locos with Mk3 stock and DVTs. If you model one of the DC line stations, you can have quite a short platform for the 313s while the faster trains flash by on the AC lines.

Kensal Green is a nice example and features a tunnel at the northern end to act as a scenic break.

3357321_1208a127.jpg

South Hampstead

5890059_958ed750_original.jpg

South Kenton

Southkenton88.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

They are indeed drawn on - these are my Electra Rail vinyl overlays. I have seen the vinyl sides used as a base, with pre-painted etches applied over the top - you can get etched Class 91/1 vents from B&H Enterprises as part of the former TPM range. Steve at Railtec does actual LNER decals if you wanted to do the full repaint.

Of course you don't have to have other stock to run the 313s with. If you want the ultimate in minimalist modelling you could go for St Albans Abbey which is just a single platform BLT. Operational interest might be a bit limited but as it is really just a cameo layout but it might be a fun little project and it wouldn't take up much space. 321s and 319s were also seen so you could run these too (just not on the scenic section at the same time ;) ).

5967315781_335030b60c_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, cutting42 said:

I remember driving up to Warley with Mike several years ago and we were discussing the possibility of modelling Watford Junction.....  Looks like we are nearly there Mike!

1 hour ago, Captain Electra said:

I reckon Watford Jtn is pretty much there from an N Gauge standpoint, particularly if you go back a couple of years to when the 313s worked the DC lines.

The Electrostar is the major missing piece of the puzzle now and we're surely approaching the point where someone has to tackle the 375/377 and 379/387? 

Tom.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The irony is that after that conversation with Mike with no Pendolinos on the horizon I decided to model the ECML (Newark) and have been collecting stock with that in mind ever since.

However I could not resist the Pendo and so have two, I saw a deal for 2 x 350 sets in London Midland at $80 each and could not resist, I have a 321 in London Midland on order and I suspect I will need to get a 313 or two, maybe I am destined to build my home town station after all.

Anyone want to buy two full full sets of GNER 225's, HST's, Eurostars and lots of  CT DEMU's ;-)

• Like 4

I might have missed this somewhere in the thread, apologies if so but I've skim read from the start and not seen anything. 

The CAD is looking very good, but I did wonder if the model come with a detailing kit for the front and rear coupling? Or is that something I'll have to do myself and put my modelling skills to the test? (Same question actually goes for the 321 model as well). 

All the best,

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

I might have missed this somewhere in the thread, apologies if so but I've skim read from the start and not seen anything. 

The CAD is looking very good, but I did wonder if the model come with a detailing kit for the front and rear coupling? Or is that something I'll have to do myself and put my modelling skills to the test? (Same question actually goes for the 321 model as well). 

All the best,

Dave

Hi David,

I am not sure what detailing you need.  The models will be supplied as shown in the CAD below with a working representation of the BR tightlock coupler, allowing them to be coupled to each other, plus control box details below the bufferbeam.  Coupling to anything else will, as in the prototype, require some kind of translator or barrier vehicle.

337873761_313-DMSO-FORE-03-3-21coupler.jpg.72b72475d7283eac2871a919d8441042.jpg

The Class 321s was designed some time ago and its tighlock coupler is cosmetic, however a standard N coupler is also being supplied with the model.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Ben A said:

Hi David,

I am not sure what detailing you need.  The models will be supplied as shown in the CAD below with a working representation of the BR tightlock coupler, allowing them to be coupled to each other, plus control box details below the bufferbeam.  Coupling to anything else will, as in the prototype, require some kind of translator or barrier vehicle.

337873761_313-DMSO-FORE-03-3-21coupler.jpg.72b72475d7283eac2871a919d8441042.jpg

The Class 321s was designed some time ago and its tighlock coupler is cosmetic, however a standard N coupler is also being supplied with the model.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

Please excuse my question, it was written in a rush during my tea break at work and reading it back now I am amazed you have managed to answer it so clearly :), what I wrote made no sense at all! All I was wondering is if the coupling we see there in the CAD would be included in the model, or if that was just dressing up the CAD and the model would be delivered with the standard N gauge coupler. 

Thanks for all the hard work you guys are putting in behind the scenes to bring us such amazing models. 

All the best,

Dave

• Thanks 1

Only read this through today but I would buy (at least) one 313 simply because when I moved to London in 1980 I initially ended up in Finsbury Park and used the 313s down to Moorgate to get to work.  Someone who could do the electrical gear could perhaps replicate the change to/from third rail at Drayton Park, but it would be more of a cameo.  However, I do remember the odd day with snow which could make for an interesting scene set in suburbia.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'd certainly be interested in 313 123 (Network Rail Engineers' livery), 313 201in Heritage  Blue livery and 313 2xx * in Coastway West livery! I see all 3 from both work and home!

* 313 202 would be perfect as in February this year, it rescued the 313 123, towing it from Three Bridges to Eastleigh, IIRC!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, xm607 said:

I would probably have two in BR blue grey livery, can’t understand why they haven’t been done before in any scale.

Major manufacturers have traditionally been allergic to EMUs, fortunately RevolutioN are willing to be a bit bolder. The 313 is a great choice as it has run on so many routes (ECML, WCML, London Overground, Coastway etc).

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Karhedron said:

...The 313 is a great choice as it has run on so many routes (ECML, WCML, London Overground, Coastway etc).

I probably wouldn't (or shouldn't?) go for 313's (& 314's) as...

I like the GWML... where electric trains mean 80x's or 387's (maybe even an 87!)...

I like ROG diesel locos... 37's, 47's, 57's,...

I like unusual trains... like railtours, track machines, scrap trains...oh wait...

Darn!  Now I've got to have one... or two... but that only makes one (scrap) train to Newport... :)

So, even a GWML layout can have a few!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned here, an EP has appeared, seen here on another site:

https://www.ngaugenews.com/post/revolution-trains-n-gauge-class-313-314-breaks-cover

It’s on their very own website too:

http://www.revolutiontrains.com/revolution-round-up-2021/

• Informative/Useful 1