Hornby J15 - variations produced versus prototype

Rail-Online

Very sorry if I have missed it somewhere but is there a definitive list of the Hornby models and what combination of cab roof, tender, cab cut-outs and brakes they have? And am I reading it right that they only produced 1 version with the original profile roof and that is no longer available? If so surely they will release another at some point, with stove pipe even? 

19 hours ago, PhilM said:

Very sorry if I have missed it somewhere but is there a definitive list of the Hornby models and what combination of cab roof, tender, cab cut-outs and brakes they have? And am I reading it right that they only produced 1 version with the original profile roof and that is no longer available? If so surely they will release another at some point, with stove pipe even? 

They only ever did one model with the original roof and have never done a stovepipe fitted example. They really dropped the ball on what could have been a variety of model options (especially as they've tooled for most of the changeable parts to be separately fitted items!) 

• Agree 1

On 22/02/2021 at 21:50, Rail-Online said:

I get a feeling they have never been a good seller for Hornby, hence the lack of versions.  The really strange thing is they never did a 'pretty livery' GER blue one, which I would expect would be an excellent seller!

Tony

I think that it has already been mentioned somewhere, but they could not do this model accurately in original GER condition as it represents a locomotive which has been re-boilered with a boiler, smokebox etc set at a higher pitch than the original. I believe that the same applies to the Claud Hamilton and the S69/1500 class. (Also the LSWR T9 pre super-heated). The composition of these models is a mixture of plastic mouldings and metal castings, so they might be able make some alternative parts to enable the original variations.

If they did do this, they could produce versions of the J15 in GER blue, GER grey, ROD livery and early LNER.

I would like models of the first three.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1

19 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

I think that it has already been mentioned somewhere, but they could not do this model accurately in original GER condition as it represents a locomotive which has been re-boilered with a boiler, smokebox etc set at a higher pitch than the original. I believe that the same applies to the Claud Hamilton and the S69/1500 class. (Also the LSWR T9 pre super-heated). The composition of these models is a mixture of plastic mouldings and metal castings, so they might be able make some alternative parts to enable the original variations.

If they did do this, they could produce versions of the J15 in GER blue, GER grey, ROD livery and early LNER.

I would like models of the first three.

All the best

Ray

Hi Ray

You're thinking of J14's (N31) which were a Holden design based on the J15 (Y14), but as you say, with a higher pitched boiler. They were introduced in 1893 but were not very successful, becoming extinct by 1925.

The smokebox door on the Hornby J15 is a separate fitting, as are the cab roof and chimney. By this logic, Hornby has tooled to allow for an original GER Y14 to be possible, but has never actioned it. 

Best wishes 

James

17 minutes ago, jamesC37LG said:

Hi Ray

You're thinking of J14's (N31) which were a Holden design based on the J15 (Y14), but as you say, with a higher pitched boiler. They were introduced in 1893 but were not very successful, becoming extinct by 1925.

The smokebox door on the Hornby J15 is a separate fitting, as are the cab roof and chimney. By this logic, Hornby has tooled to allow for an original GER Y14 to be possible, but has never actioned it. 

Best wishes 

James

Thanks James.

That's good news.

So we could have some more nice models to look forward to as the manufacturers move further into the pre-grouping era, perhaps with some suitable wagons. I know that Oxford have a GER van in the pipeline, so an open and a brake van would be nice.

I could use a ROD one on the military layout I am plotting, and the ROD NBR J36 might also eventually arrive from Hornby.

All the best 

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say I've had one of the Hornby J15 backdated to GER Y14 livery.

Paint and lining was by Warren Haywood. Chimney and safety valve are Alan Gibson parts. Number plates were from Narrow planet.

And yes, I know the side rails on the tender should be removed however I'm not skilled enough to remove these without butchering an otherwise very nice model!

84672596_2617697251685429_4160704427893719040_o.jpg

Edited by K Hatton
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

5 hours ago, K Hatton said:

Just to say I've had one of the Hornby J15 backdated to GER Y14 livery.

Paint and lining was by Warren Haywood. Chimney and safety valve are Alan Gibson parts. Number plates were from Narrow planet.

And yes, I know the side rails on the tender should be removed however I'm not skilled enough to remove these without butchering an otherwise very nice model!

84672596_2617697251685429_4160704427893719040_o.jpg

Snap!

So you were the other chap Warren repainted a Y14 for, I'm the other! Exact same job from him, with the exception of Phoenix cast parts instead of Alan Gibson ones.

I have the same issue of the tender raves. I think i may bite the bullet soon and attempt to get rid of them. Will post here if i do!

Heres also a picture of it with my other NNR resident, the considerably easier (and cheaper!) one to recreate, B12 8572.

DSC_0082.JPG

DSC_0055.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Team Traction said:

Snap!

So you were the other chap Warren repainted a Y14 for, I'm the other! Exact same job from him, with the exception of Phoenix cast parts instead of Alan Gibson ones.

I have the same issue of the tender raves. I think i may bite the bullet soon and attempt to get rid of them. Will post here if i do!

Heres also a picture of it with my other NNR resident, the considerably easier (and cheaper!) one to recreate, B12 8572.

DSC_0082.JPG

DSC_0055.JPG

Have you been able to get the square tender number plate for yours?

I did ask narrow planet when I ordered the cab plates but they said they couldn't do it at the time.

30 minutes ago, K Hatton said:

Have you been able to get the square tender number plate for yours?

I did ask narrow planet when I ordered the cab plates but they said they couldn't do it at the time.

Sadly not. I too asked narrow planet to no avail.

I later found someone who agreed to 3d print one for me, but, after provididng the reference he needed to design it, he never got back to me :laugh_mini2:

oh well, I shall probably design and 3d print one myself soon when i get my 3d printer working. If its successful do you want one for yours?

Regards.

• Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, Team Traction said:

Sadly not. I too asked narrow planet to no avail.

I later found someone who agreed to 3d print one for me, but, after provididng the reference he needed to design it, he never got back to me :laugh_mini2:

oh well, I shall probably design and 3d print one myself soon when i get my 3d printer working. If its successful do you want one for yours?

Regards.

Yes please!

I did see that narrow planet had similarly shaped plates (I think they were for LNWR engines) and was thinking about fitting one of those and seeing if anyone actually paid close enough attention to call me out on it.

The one I'd love to to would be Baird's & Scottish No1.

Bought from the LNER for industrial use. In fact certified for mainline trips between Bairds' sites around Coatbridge in North Lanarkshire.

Instantly recognisable apparently by its shiny, burnished dome. 

A sort of Yul Brynner on wheels...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...

I just got a copy of the Yeadon's register for the J14/15s, and have a couple of questions about the J15 braking, if someone could answer it for me I'd be very grateful. 

P49 of the register says the original 249 were steam braking on the engine, no train braking from built, only seven received other sort of brakes. Does anyone know which seven and what they were fitted with? 

Also, while thirty five of the final forty were dual fitted, the other five were Westinghouse only until 1931/2 when they received Vacuum injectors. Does anyone know why this was? 

I think this was an appropriate topic to add on to, cheers. 

• RMweb Premium
On 10/03/2021 at 10:28, Mad McCann said:

The one I'd love to to would be Baird's & Scottish No1.

Bought from the LNER for industrial use. In fact certified for mainline trips between Bairds' sites around Coatbridge in North Lanarkshire.

Instantly recognisable apparently by its shiny, burnished dome. 

A sort of Yul Brynner on wheels...

The Transport Library has two (more or less the same) photos of it, you know? Fascinating - I'd never seen pictures. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, seaber said:

Does anyone know which seven and what they were fitted with?  

Yeadon usually does dates of changes to brakes (as long as they happened in LNER days) within the individual entries for each loco. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, seaber said:

I just got a copy of the Yeadon's register for the J14/15s, and have a couple of questions about the J15 braking, if someone could answer it for me I'd be very grateful. 

P49 of the register says the original 249 were steam braking on the engine, no train braking from built, only seven received other sort of brakes. Does anyone know which seven and what they were fitted with? 

Also, while thirty five of the final forty were dual fitted, the other five were Westinghouse only until 1931/2 when they received Vacuum injectors. Does anyone know why this was? 

I think this was an appropriate topic to add on to, cheers. 

To attempt the first part of your question the seven you refer to were fitted with vacuum ejectors. They were (LNER numbers) 7532 in Feb 1933, 7887 in May 1933, 7888 in June 1932, 7911 in April 1932, 7941 in May 1933, 7512 in January 1935 and 7523 in July 1934.

This from the 'green book' part 5. The same volume says that the 5 'Westinghouse only' engines had vacuum ejectors added between September 1931 and February 1932 without giving a reason but the seven referred to above, besides having vacuum ejectors fitted, also received steam heat (not 7532) and balanced wheels for branch line passenger duties. Passenger engines had screw link couplings whereas the steam brake engines had three-link ones. Hope this helps with your research.

On 12/07/2021 at 21:34, Tramshed said:

Thanks, that's very helpful! 

Could I check what the 'green book' is though, I'm pretty new to LNER and constituents, so not sure if this is an obvious question :D

6 hours ago, seaber said:

Thanks, that's very helpful! 

Could I check what the 'green book' is though, I'm pretty new to LNER and constituents, so not sure if this is an obvious question :D

Daddyman got there before me. The Railway Correspondence and Travel Society published these. Warning if you are 'new' to the LNER. These are the 'crack cocaine' of LNER railway modelling and liable to put you on the path to pedantry! I mean, I read one once and thought I could handle it...then pretty soon I had got the whole set....then started quoting from them on here.......:)

Green book 5.jpg

Green books.jpg

• Like 5
  • Funny 1