RevolutioN Trains announce Class A Tank and MTV "Zander" in N

MGR Hooper!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

An update from RevolutioN:

Class-A-Esso-GFX-1024x434.jpg

Class A and Zander cruise into view… from Revolution!

Revolution Trains – the company set up to use crowdfunding methods to bring niche models to the British model railway market – has confirmed that it will be offering the much-requested Class A tanker in 2020.

This is a logical follow-on to Revolution’s well-received Class B tanker, which was delivered to customers in 2017.

Joining it (as it shares the chassis) will be the widely used MTV box wagon conversion; these were also used by the engineers with the fishkind name “Zander.”

The Class A tanker was designed in the late 1950s at the same time as the Class B – with which it shares many common parts – but with a longer barrel as in service it carried lighter fuels.

Originally painted silver, for much of the 1960s and 70s these wagons ran in the mandated livery of pale grey tank with red solebar to indicate that the contents were highly flammable. 

It is anticipated that original and revised Esso liveries will be offered along with Mobil and Stavely Chemicals.  In later years some were also used on weedkilling trains, bearing Nomix-Chipman colours.

In 1975 150 es-Esso tank wagons received box bodies for use on minerals, stone, sand and aggregate traffic.  Recoded MTV under TOPS, many were later used by the engineers; recoded ZTV and named Zanders where they were used alongside other departmental wagons such as the Revolution Sturgeon track carriers. 

Originally a chocolate brown with distinctive “STONE” branding, some were also given the popular grey and yellow “Dutch” colours when in engineering use.

As well as the two new items of tooling, Revolution is proposing another run of its  Class B tankers in one new livery and the most popular existing versions.

For more information see www.revolutiontrains.com

Zander-GFX-1024x247.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/10/2019 at 10:28, AY Mod said:

Originally a chocolate brown with distinctive “STONE” branding, some were also given the popular grey and yellow “Dutch” colours when in engineering use.

Zander-GFX-1024x247.jpg

I'll admit I had never thought of them as being chocolate brown! This is 016 when nearly new https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/mtvzander/e3fb26c27 

The Zander name doesn't appear to have been used until the late 1980s.

Paul

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 20/10/2019 at 23:58, hmrspaul said:

I'll admit I had never thought of them as being chocolate brown! This is 016 when nearly new https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/mtvzander/e3fb26c27 

The Zander name doesn't appear to have been used until the late 1980s.

Paul

Hi Paul,

It doesn't look like bauxite and chocolate brown seemed as descriptive as I could manage!  Is there a "proper" name for the colour of these wagons?

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 31/10/2019 at 22:13, Ben A said:

Hi Paul,

It doesn't look like bauxite and chocolate brown seemed as descriptive as I could manage!  Is there a "proper" name for the colour of these wagons?

cheers

Ben A.

Post-1964 Freight Brown? 

Later edit to confirm as noted by David Larkin in Wagons of the Early British Rail Era (1969-1982 period) that the initial livery was indeed Freight Brown with markings mostly as your illustration A pool number was not always present and, if it was, not necessarily in the prescribed manner. I'll be interested in some of these as Paul Bartlett has a number of photos of them at Warrington in the late-1970s conveying sand. This could have been for either the manufacture of detergent Crosfields Warrington)or glass (Pilkingtons St Helens) as both these industries are present in the area.

David

Edited by DavidLong
Update
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Just a gentle reminder that the order book closes for the Class A tanks and MTV/ZKV Zander box wagons closes at midnight tomorrow (June 30th.)

500159683_EssoClassAClassB.thumb.png.20bdf6e78124e8f79d4bc3e4799a1927.png

IMG_3154.thumb.JPG.07ef4445b77e403f72cb66b9810b4ba4.JPG

Please note the models shown above are 'simplified' decorated samples that are missing the catwalk and ladder detail (which can be seen on the Class B image below) and have been posed on Class B chassis - the production models will have the correct red solebar as shown in this example decoration image:

N-35T-101.png.34cf42b087df6709fb92c869a88560f7.png

We anticipate the models will be available from retailers afterward, but at the usual higher price.  If you want to order before production we strongly suggest not leaving it to 2355 tomorrow as if too many are trying to order the website can crash.

IMG_3152.thumb.JPG.769c4558dbec07f3cd673c1870bd680c.JPG

Also, we intend producing another run of the award winning Class B tankers alongside these, however these will be from retailers only.  If you wish to reserve yours, we suggest you make contact with your preferred Revolution stockist to make ensure they will have stock.

1193323631_EssoUnbrandedcrop.thumb.jpg.4322895469a2fa15bf688788dd57c745.jpg

For more information and images see our news page here: https://www.revolutiontrains.com/news/  Please scroll past the pinned Class 320/321 dispatch update.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The first batch of models (fully paid and those who've settled any outstanding balances) were sent out on Friday, so should be hitting doormats tomorrow and Tuesday, depending on the efficiency of your local sorting office.

The Class A tankers are a perfect complement to the Class Bs (for those customers who missed out, a second run will be with stockists in the next week or so, all with different running numbers to models released before) and mean that late 50s/early 60s fuel trains are a snap.  In that era there were far more smaller fuel terminals, and these models can work well in a small lineside terminal with the appropriate NGS Hunslet shunter.

The Esso fuel tanker models are available as singles, or in triple packs with different running numbers.

791595470_TanksGroup1.jpeg.c80005835123f3755357fb754dfdf791.jpeg

In addition we are offering the Class As that were used to carry water for the Chipman's train in green and black twin packs:

1282953027_Weedkillerblackweb.png.ec9150fe943f35ceaac652cb4046754b.png

The MTV and ZKV models are simple but again available with livery variations and to our usual standards of detailing and finish:

1170428693_MTVZKVcrop.png.0250cb858de9067f67cecff08883750d.png

1450083463_ZKVcrop.png.378a82c240922803432825575cc2d7b2.png

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

My consignment has just arrived. Poor postman had to carry the large parcel on his walking round. No idea why they didn’t use the normal van delivery.

Absolutely fabulous models, a usual. Can’t wait to run them later today.

Once again a HUGE thank you to Ben, Mike and Mike.

Looking forward to Glasgow Exhibition as well.

Cheers,

Ged.

• Like 2

My Class As arrived today, and rather lovely they are too. Also much lighter than the Class Bs which means those who have ordered longer rakes shouldn't have too issues with haulage or over stretched close-couplings.

Here they are, this photo doesn't show my ballasting very favourably - it honestly isn't that bad really..

Roy

20230130_115351.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

My order also turned up today. I got a nice email from Royal Mail to say a parcel had been delivered, but I could not think what it was, so a nice surprise when I got home a few minutes ago. I shall have to have a good look at them later and see how they run. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having had a look at my 12, I have concluded that these are lovely models. They are smooth running and nicely close coupled. Very bizarrely the middle wagon in each pack is missing the protective plastic insert for the top part of the box. This has caused at least 1 of the weights in the wagon to have worked loose. @Revolution Ben are these inserts missing or is this a deliberate decision?

• RMweb Gold

Not deliberate - I noticed it on one pack when we were packing orders. Looks like a few got packed incorrectly. 

IIRC the weight should just clip in place if you take off one of the barrel caps. 

Please let us know if anything is damaged and we will replace it. 

Cheers Mike

• Like 1