RevolutioN Announce IWA Holdall Vans and Timber Carriers in N Gauge

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Yes, it seems that the wagons arrived with the stakes bifurcated as per your photo of a very clean and 'new' one, however they didn't seem to last long like this (possible safety hazard?) and were filled in very quickly, so that is the version we went with.

The smaller narrow stakes in the photo above, which started appearing after a while in service, are being supplied in a bag for customers to fit as per their choice.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Am I alone in hoping Revolution follow up this model with the IUA curtain sided vans in Norsk Hydro blue?

Does a model exist from one of the main-land europe brands?

Steven B.

Ha! No you’re not alone - when I was researching some sample flows (which I must publish) some of the flows are exclusively IWAs with IUAs and they would be very useful!

cheers Mike

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steven B said:

Am I alone in hoping Revolution follow up this model with the IUA curtain sided vans in Norsk Hydro blue?

Does a model exist from one of the main-land europe brands?

Steven B.

The Debach’vit hood wagon has existed since forever in the Jouef range in H0 with a closed and half opened hood. New releases here.  http://decobac.fr/trains-ouest/jouef-wagons-baches/

It is widely available N 1/160 from Minitrix and Fleischmann. https://www.traindefrance.fr/fr/wagons-marchandises/4840-wagon-bache-rils-des-fs-par-fleischmann-837705.html

Typical wagon code is Rils.

• Thanks 1

On 06/10/2020 at 12:13, red death said:

I was researching some sample flows (which I must publish) 

Please do get them up, they usually inspire me to get the models so I can model trains loosely based on formations that happened

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

Thanks for that. The Fleischmann ones would need the bogies swapping for Y25s, whilst the Minitrix ones need work on the chassis/underframe. Railtec do suitable transfers so it's tempting and surely guaranteed to get Revolution to anounce one as soon as I finish a conversion!

Steven B

7 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Thanks for that. The Fleischmann ones would need the bogies swapping for Y25s, whilst the Minitrix ones need work on the chassis/underframe. Railtec do suitable transfers so it's tempting and surely guaranteed to get Revolution to anounce one as soon as I finish a conversion!

Steven B

There is a Y25 bogie version in the Fleischmann range.

https://www.fleischmann.de/en/product/243239-0-0-1-4-0-0-003001-0/products.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Steven B said:

Steven B

Five years ago I converted and repainted ten of the Minitrix DB wagons into Norsk Hydro IUAs. Coincidentally, Mike Harvey (above) sold me four of them. There is a thread with pictures about them on the N Gauge Forum. Transfers were not available at the time but I was able to source an image good enough to allow Railtec to produce some for me (the ones referred to above). The wagons are not 100% accurate (they’re 1:160 scale for a start) but the proportions and overall look are very convincing and they do not look at all out of place with British N gauge stock. Because of that, I doubt that I would replace them if Revolution were to make any (although they would obviously be more accurate) but I’d certainly be interested in the white Tiphook Rail version and the blue Cargowaggon and Transferry versions. 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

They are nice looking wagons.  I haven't looked closely but at first glance the Tiphook, Transferry and Cargowaggon versions appear to have different underframes to those on the Norsk Hydro which in turn are different to Easiload.  This is a pity!

cheers

Ben A.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, bigP said:

Howdie all,

How about the PWA bogie van used by UKF Fertiliser (later Kemira)?

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ukfvan/h53720a0c#h53720a0c

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ukfvan/h10880624#h10880624

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ukfvan/h5371e04c#h5371e04c

UKF used them from their Ince & Elton plant to numerous locations in the UK.

The IWA eventually replaced the PWA for UKF, but there was a period when the two could be seen together in a train.

http://www.hondawanderer.com/47237_South_Moreton_1991.htm

Like the IWA, the PWA ran in block trains, small trips, and could be found in Speedlink trips too.

The first PWAs were built in 1968 and were curtain sided, then later converted to sliding doors.  Later builds had sliding doors from the outset.

So,

• Long Life
  • Never before RTR in N
  • At least three main liveries  (Shellstar, UKF, Kemira)

Sound like a winner  :D

Regards

Paul

Now that's a great shout.

There is a 3D print of one available on Shapeways:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/FGLVBX2CT/pwa-uk-fertiliser-wagon-n-scale?optionId=40857173&li=user-profile

And the chassis is here:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/QZYAH68S2/ukf-van-underframe?optionId=62554127&li=user-profile

Cheers

Neal.

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, bigP said:

The first PWAs were built in 1968 and were curtain sided, then later converted to sliding doors.  Later builds had sliding doors from the outset.

I've not spotted any PWA with sliding doors - all the photos I've seen they've got hinged doors with ISO container style locking mechanisms.

My head says it'd be great if Revolution saw beyond post-privatisation models a little more often and looked at what was around in the late 1970s & 80s. My bank-balance thinks otherwise...  :)

Steven B.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steven B said:

My head says it'd be great if Revolution saw beyond post-privatisation models a little more often and looked at what was around in the late 1970s & 80s. My bank-balance thinks otherwise...  :)

Steven B.

Hi Steven,

The IWA vans were introduced in 1988 - so admittedly close to the tail end of your period - however we are currently offering the Chipman's Class A tankers and MTV/ZKV Zander conversions which are very much 1970s-80s era.  We've also done the Sturgeons and Class Bs before.  If they do well then we'll be sure to look at more from that era.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi @Ben A

Don't worry - Revolution are still getting my cash. I'm patiently waiting for the class 92s to land and have the IWAs on order. I've also got a short rake sturgeons and several class Bs. The Zanders are interesting but I've got enough engineers wagons so I'm resisting temptation (so far!). Likewise my Cawoods PFAs built from the C=Rail kit don't see enough use to warrant buying 30 of what I'm sure will be an excelent Revolution Trains model. One or two class 128s should also end up dropping through my letter box thought.

What would be nice is some of the air-braked wagons that were built in the 1970s. VAA, VBA, VCA & VDA vans to the same standard as Farish's OBA, OCA & SPA or Sonic's VEA would be very welcome.

A long welded rail train Perch/Porpoise, Redland/La Farge Self-Discharge Train & FFA/FGA freight-liner would also have me reaching for my wallet as would a short list of more obscure wagons that would make this post into even more of a wish list than it already is!

Steven B

Edited by Steven B
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Steven B said:

FFA/FGA freight-liner would also have me reaching for my wallet

Hi

That will be announced just as soon as I finish my two five car sets. First set is ready for painting and i’ve Just finished all the soldering on the first FGA for the second set.

Cheers

Paul

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for sidetracking our thread on the IWAs(!), I'm hoping that Farish are working on FFA/FGAs based on their OO model.  Between C Rail and Revolution we're gradually working through the various replacements for the FFA/FGAs with KFAs and KQA/KTAs delivered and FSA/FTAs and Ecofrets on the way.

Cheers Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steven B said:

The Zanders are interesting but I've got enough engineers wagons so I'm resisting temptation (so far!). 

Are you sure about that? I thought the general consensus was that you can never have enough engineers wagons :wink_mini:

I’ll be putting some of my Dapol Grampus wagons on eBay shortly to fund (and make space for) some Zanders. 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm easily lead. Whilst the Zander temptation is still being restisted, a pair of Fleischmann #837702 bogie hood wagons arrvied in the post today....

Plenty of work to do to strip and repaint them - hopefully they'll look OK agains the Revolution IWA. I might even get them finished before my Revolution order arrives.

Steven B.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello folks

I've just been pulling together some sample consist diagrams for both versions of IWA - the holdall vans and timber carriers - which you can find on our website here:

https://www.revolutiontrains.com/iwa-sfins-2-holdall-vans-and-rfnoos-timber-carriers/ 

Hopefully useful to some people! I still need to finish the route map which will come next.

Cheers Mike

• Like 2

You haven't included the eminently modellable Eastleigh speedlinks to Holton Heath that often worked to a seemingly random combination of Hamworthy, Wool, Wareham Furzebrook and Bournemouth fueling point

47363 Northam

Foam foam, gurgle, gurgle, this gives me a great excuse to buy a clay tiger and 47363 blah blah blah did a <insert random class number> ever work these trains - Nobody cares!! 

Jon

• Like 6