Behind the scenes at Bachmann

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Very cool video, bet that was an interesting day.

i’m sure when you were filming you said “i bet someone will comment on xxx locomotive”...

so i’ll be the one...

whats that LNWR 2-4-2 tender engine on the screen saver ?

Seeing Bachmann’s 97403 in RTC livery was a ghost from long ago too.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

whats that LNWR 2-4-2 tender engine on the screen saver ?

Of course he didn't set that as his desktop deliberately. ;)

Steve Tooley is a P4 L&NWR modeller. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

when I saw it on the screen I was wondering if it was a tender version of the LNWR 2-4-2T but seeing the above it’s a whole different loco.

a 2-2-2-2 what an interesting twist in evolution.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNWR_Greater_Britain_Class

As there’s an LNWR fan in the GC lair, maybe there’s hope of a rtr Claughton someday.

:-)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't this the loco that embarrassed everyone by attempting to leave Euston with the driving wheels rotating in opposite directions?

Illuminating video, and a refreshing change from the marketing department led 'how our models are made' sort of thing one often gets, this was a fairly candid look at how Bachmann UK's QC and distribution system actually works at a nuts and bolts level.  The point well made was that orders take time to make up, and cannot be expected to all reach the shops simultaneously.  Of course, a smaller order may precede a big one as suggested, but equally it may be delayed by it.  All the boys at Barwell can do is their best to get it all out as quickly and correctly as they can; they made it look easy but I bet it isn't sometimes!

A very informative film.

Interesting to hear how little is actually delayed by physical customs checks at Felixstowe, particularly in view of the likely change in the UK's global trading arrangements in the near future.

I suspect the number of moans about pricing will be down after hearing about what actually goes into those N gauge vehicles.

I hadn't realised that the Bachmann office handled all those plastic kit brands, I spotted Takom, Trumpeter, Roden, and possibly Academy or Hobby Boss, no doubt there's more besides.

Thanks for the fascinating insight.

John.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Very interesting. I understood Bachmann’s containers were only shipped when they were completely full, but when they opened this one there was some infilled space. Wouldn’t that mean boxes could move around and theoretically models have been damaged, especially if this ship experienced rough seas.

• Moderators

If the container tipped enough to dislodge well-levelled and distributed boxes that went fully from side to side you'd be looking at a far bigger news story than damaged models. We were told that shipping damage is so minimal a problem to be negligible. Compare what's likely to happen to a box on board to what can happen in postage from retailer to customers and that should put it into perspective. 

• Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

Thank you Andy and Phil for producing and sharing an interesting video giving an insight into Bachmanns operation. It puts into perspective when they get up to 3 containers a week at busy times the size of it which is actually larger in some respects than I was expecting. 

Cheers

Mark

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

If the container tipped enough to dislodge well-levelled and distributed boxes that went fully from side to side you'd be looking at a far bigger news story than damaged models. We were told that shipping damage is so minimal a problem to be negligible. Compare what's likely to happen to a box on board to what can happen in postage from retailer to customers and that should put it into perspective. 

This sounds about right.  Containers are at their most 'efficient' when they are fully loaded, but this depends on total weight as well (not an issue with railway models).  But the need to meet delivery schedules might in some circumstances override the ability to fill the container, resulting in it being despatched from the assembly plant in China with space remaining to be filled with packing material.  It is very unlikely that the contents are ever damaged once they are loaded and in transit in the container, but it is less unlikely that the entire container is lost.  Worldwide merchant ship losses at sea are about 2 a week, and containers can be lost overboard from ships in foul weather; seafaring is still an uncertain business, perhaps not to the extent it was in the days of sail, but still risky

The problem from our point of view of this sort of (fortunately rare) loss, sinkings and loss overboard, is that while the value of the cargo is underwritten and insured, if you are waiting for a model that's on the ocean floor somewhere it takes the entire production and assembly time to replace it, and that's assuming the Chinese production facility windows have not been lost and need re-booking.  Delays may also be caused by poor weather necessitating the ship having to 'heave to' and ride it out, mechanical breakdown, and even piracy in the southern approaches to the Red Sea.

Final delivery stages involving parcels firms and the Royal Mail are far more likely to damage models.

6 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

A very informative film.

Interesting to hear how little is actually delayed by physical customs checks at Felixstowe, particularly in view of the likely change in the UK's global trading arrangements in the near future.

I suspect the number of moans about pricing will be down after hearing about what actually goes into those N gauge vehicles.

I hadn't realised that the Bachmann office handled all those plastic kit brands, I spotted Takom, Trumpeter, Roden, and possibly Academy or Hobby Boss, no doubt there's more besides.

Thanks for the fascinating insight.

John.

Hi John, 

Apart from Hobby Boss, you are right. However there about 38 different categories that Bachmann distribute as part of the non-railway products . You can view the ranges on www.pocketbond.co.uk

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just for info the average number of containers lost overboard or otherwise  lost at sea was 1,390 per annum in the three years o prior to 2017.   That represented a 48% reduction on the previous three year period and it includes catastrophic losses such as a vessel capsizing or sinking.  I don't know if it includes handling losses at ports.

Things can a bit hairy during normal transits but even tight turns seem to manage a bit of a list in the ship with no problems -

1956713602_P1010698copy1508MOL6.jpg.28d1f739beb48044b887a6bb4179fd3e.jpg

• Like 2

So, Bachmann UK is a box moving and QC exercise. Why not book a flight to Kader Industries in Dongguan and film the actual production process ?   Roco's factory in Romania shows the sort of thing . The German Marklin and Chinese Piko factory tours are also on the Youtube for comparison.

Edited by maico
  • Informative/Useful 1

I actually posted the link to that video last week, thinking that if nothing else it might go some way towards explaining why some of our toys cost what they do.  But how about a new forum rule which says that if in the future anyone wants to start moaning about the cost of locos and rolling stock, they have to view both this Bachmann video and the Roco one before they start typing, then explain to the rest of us why they still think we're paying over the odds?

Edited by spikey
clarity
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, maico said:

So, Bachmann UK is a box moving and QC exercise. Why not book a flight to Kader Industries in Dongguan and film the actual production process ?   Roco's factory in Romania shows the sort of thing . The German Marklin and Chinese Piko factory tours are also on the Youtube for comparison.

Because it might be a bit more expensive to do that? This was an interesting and informative video, and I dont think anyone was under the misapprehension that Bachmann UK actually made the models in the UK.....

• Like 3
  • Agree 3