Hornby class 47 tts cannot reprogramme

125_driver

I have 2 x Hornby sound fitted class 47s and I am unable to reprogramme either of them. They run fine as address 3, but when I put them on the programming track I just get "no answer".  I have had no issues programming Hornby HST power cars so was wondering if anyone could advise what might be wrong?? Thanks.

1 hour ago, cravensdmufan said:

Try programming on the main. But do make sure you take all other locos off the layout first otherwise they'll all get reprogrammed too! (Speaking from experience!:o)

I often re-programme on the main in doing altering Speed CV's without taking other locos off as I always indicate what loco number I want to alter - I use NCE so that maybe different than other brands.

Ron

Edited by Sol
spelling
  • Like 1

I am using a ct elektronik controller. I had an identical controller previously but had problems with it, including the "no answer" so I have just bought an identical replacement on eBay which I am now using with exactly the same problem. As I said it quite happily programmes Hornby HST power cars , just not Hornby 47 tts locos. 

22 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I don't understand.

If you program blind (which is done on the main) your system will not be looking for an answer.

I will admit to being well out of the circle having not modelled for ten years or so so may have misunderstood what is meant by programming decoder blind. I have tried to program the engines on the main and it has also just said "no answer" when I attempt to change the address of the loco (but fine on HST power cars) . Only seems to be the Hornby 47 tts....

• RMweb Gold

This might sound really odd.... But have you tried turning the loco 180 degree's.... TTS 31s had an issue they could only be programmed 1 way round until the firmware had been updated...... Yes i am being serious lol! 

Edited by pheaton
  • Informative/Useful 2

Try the 180 option from above, it was a known issue with TTS decoders not just their 31.

As you have had two controllers with this issue it might be a controller issue, especially as it's trying to read when programming on the main as it shouldn't try to read when programming on the main, it should just blind write and not look for any acknowledgment from the decoder.

But check the 180 option first. Although that issue normally only affected running, with it working in one way around but not the other.

Paul

9 hours ago, 125_driver said:

I will admit to being well out of the circle having not modelled for ten years or so so may have misunderstood what is meant by programming decoder blind. I have tried to program the engines on the main and it has also just said "no answer" when I attempt to change the address of the loco (but fine on HST power cars) . Only seems to be the Hornby 47 tts....

I am not familiar with your control system, but I believe none can read back CVs when programming on the main.

With my NCE system, if I program using a program track, the first thing it does it read back decoder manufacturer & model types. It is unable to do this on the main but it does allow you to send changes but you get no acknowledgement, hence programming 'blind'.

From what I have read, being unable to read back CVs on the main is not something specific to NCE but a design feature of DCC in general.

If you are attempting to program on the main, I see no reason why the throttle should tell you it is getting no answer because it will not be expecting one.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/09/2019 at 01:18, Hilux5972 said:

Try doing a reset if you can. Change CV 8 to 8 and this will reset it back to factory. If that doesn’t work it may well be faulty. 

Hi,

I have been warned not to do this as it may, I have been told, take the chip back to its native state, i.e. without the sound files.

It would be worth checking with Hornby about resetting TTS chips, and the potential outcomes.  I have found them to be prompt and helpful in replying to technical enquiries.

Regards,

Alex.

I agrre with Richard .

Writing value 5 to CV8 resets TTS function volume settings, etc to default (actual sound files are not affected). Value 8 resets the whole decoder, motor, accel, decell, address  and all.

You cannot wipe TTS sounds by accident of a reset.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

This 'reset' warning has some basis in truth, but it applied to ESU Loksound decoders since the LokProgrammer software allowed projects to be created where CV8 = 8 would default back to the factory defaults, thereby losing connection with the sound samples. However, even this did not wipe the sounds from the decoders' memory, just scrambled the access to them. This was completely reversible with some CV changes, but it was not simple or straightforward.

The issue was addressed long ago, and it's now the default for ESU LokSound that a reset will revert all to the state in which it left the sound producer.

However, this problem was never present in TTS decoders so a reset CV8 = 8 will not wipe the sounds nor will it lose connection to the sound samples so can be used without fear or concern.

Best regards,

Paul

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

I stand corrected; thanks for setting matters straight.  I may copy your comments, especially about the information on the instruction leaflet, to the person who gave me the warning.

Regards,

Alex.