Would Accurascale consider an OO gauge 320/321?

VXDH92

As Accurascale and RevolutioN are working on the class 92 together, would Accurascale consider working with RevolutioN to bring out an OO gauge version of the 320 / 321 EMU? I imagine there would be a good deal of interest, but whether there's enough...

Edited by daveahudson
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I would have to say that it would be unlikely due to the lukewarm reception that Bachmann got with the 350/450.

Sigh...

You know this how exactly?  Were you privy to Bachmann's sales projections and their sales data?  The fact they re-issued a run of the SWT Dessies suggests that they haven't been a sales lemon.  They are not that easy to find on the Bay of Thief either.

45 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Nah, a first gen emu like 303 or 304/305/308 might have more appeal, crossing steam, early diesel, br blue and sectorisation eras.

Personally I'd love a 310, worked alongside the Bachmann 85 and 90, the Heljan 86s and the Hornby 87 and lots of livery variations as well.  That said, if Accurascale could upscale the Revolution 321 by sharing their research data it too has quite a widespread appeal, plenty of livery options which might help spread the appeal of what is likely to be an expensive model to produce.

Can I pre=order a 321/4 NSE now please?.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, daveahudson said:

As Accurascale and RevolutioN are working on the class 92 together, would Accurascale consider working with RevolutioN to bring out an OO gauge version of the 320 / 321 EMU? I imagine there would be a good deal of interest, but whether there's enough...

Hi Dave,

The 320/321 is not on our radar at the moment. Sorry!

Cheers!

Fran

7 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Dave,

Cheers!

Fran

No worries, worth an ask! If you ever do go down that route, I'll put myself down for a few. Until then, I can save my pennies!

Cheers,

Dave.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Dave,

Cheers!

Fran

Phew - I was wondering how I would be able to buy one purely to burn the hateful thing! I don't care how reliable they are, I can't stand being on one.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Sigh...

You know this how exactly?  Were you privy to Bachmann's sales projections and their sales data?  The fact they re-issued a run of the SWT Dessies suggests that they haven't been a sales lemon.  They are not that easy to find on the Bay of Thief either.

Yup, having spoken to several of the Bachmann team at shows and also a rep for my local area who told me that they sold the 350’s off cheaply to offload them and as for the 450’s, I can name 4-5 model shops with them still in stock and keeping the shelves warm.

Perhaps they did generate limited interest. I can’t imagine why, though, because they are beautiful models. I scooped up two 350s  and a 450 when they first came out and was happy to add another 450 when they were sold off cheaply. Whilst travelling to London on a Pendo, I passed a lot of them and had to be calmed down.

Having to "dump" excess inventory / shops still having inventory can mean 1 of 2 things:

1.  the model was a failure, and lost money for the company making it
  2. the model was a success - it at least covered it's costs and maybe even made a profit - but the company simply produced too many models (this is a bigger issue now with more stuff coming out each year than 20 years ago).

Only Bachmann knows which of the 2 scenarios is correct.

If we base a model's success on whether it had to be discounted or not then most of the stuff done under the previous Hornby management was a disaster given how much discounting they had to do each year.

It will also be true that whether a model can be successful or not will depend on who makes the model, and how much overhead they have to cover.  Hornby and Bachmann have very different cost structures than the smaller companies or hobby shops doing direct with China stuff.

• Agree 2

It is a shame that the 350 did not appear to be a success. I have a couple that were shown quite prominently on GMRC last year and people keep asking me where I got them, but alas they are like rocking horse manure now. I would love a couple of Dustys and 315s and maybe a 360.

I will just have to start modelling in N...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Food for thought, but for modern image modellers,

How many class 66’s do you own..

and how many class 350’s / 450’s ?

Most wont have space to run 8 car EMUs, so will suffice with 1.x 4 car...

now why have 2 identical numbers in the same livery, when you can only run 1 ?

Its easy to justify a bunch of 66’s, as they take less space, hang around in sidings in multiple, and theres lots of different numbers around.

I could run an 8 car, but at £300 for an SWT one thats an expensive renumber, for something ive already got, so it keeps getting pushed down the stack.

I don't think its that the class 450 isn't successful, its that people don't by handfuls of them.

in some ways a class 456 might have been better.. 2x car EMU, same liveries but more people would buy 2 of them to make a 4xcar.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1